Bolt Size Help

/ Bolt Size Help
I like the idea of screwing in a wood peg or even a whittled twig to get the correct thread pitch. BTW for the OP....metric thread pitch is the distance between each thread. A 1.5 pitch is 1.5 mm between each thread. Also, the tap drill size is the bolt diameter minus the pitch....so a 14x1.5 tap drill is 12.5 mm.
Great info thank you!

/ Bolt Size Help
It's situations like this that drove me to get the full set of these:

Perhaps not as cheap as buying individual fasteners, but a lot more convient to have the full variety on hand and all hooked together.

(may be possible to find them cheaper elsewhere, but Bolt Depot tends to be one of my first stops for buying fasteners - and these were one of the more comprehensive sets I found).

BTW from my (very limited) understanding JIS fasteners use the standardized metric threading, but have smaller than standard heads.
Another cool tool to have in the garage Thank You very Much

/ Bolt Size Help
Wow! You got a lot of advice. Let me pile on. Be careful of length since it is a blind hole in casting so adjust your length for best fit without bottoming out. Using a tap to find the size is helpful because it also let you clean the internal threads from paint and rust. Wire brush or make your own thread cleaning bolt. I have used several tapped holes to attach extra equipment and it also seems to be the size I don’t have on hand. Slow but steady wins the race.
Yes, the depth of the casting I am definitely already aware of watching as I do NOT want to crack anything That's also an important reason I want the right size bolt because it is tapped cast metal and I do not want to be trying to cross thread anything in it and risk expanding/cracking metal that way too. maybe an unlikely scenario but it is on my radar as what I do not want to do! Ideally the holes are there for something to be attached, be it a brace to an add on piece of equipment or something but nobody, not even Kubota can tell me what would go in there. To be exact the Kubota corporate e-mail reply was something like, "we cannot recommend anything as modifying your tractor may result in warranty issues, contact your local dealer for further assistance" Thank You. Well I've done that too, and they had no clue either...thanks for the help here...

/ Bolt Size Help #55  
Pretty sure the M12 x 1.25 is the correct one. I bolted my Mid PTO shaft ladder frame to those holes. It is definitely M12 and a fine thread. I would grab a bolt that is 1.25 and also the 1.5 pitch and see which one fits, but my guess is the 1.25 is right based on the fact that LD1 measured his to be that. I recall at least an inch of depth that was free to thread into. So 25-30mm would probably be a good length if you were bolting on something 1/4" thick, for example.

• Good Post
Reactions: LD1
   / Bolt Size Help #56  
Remove one bolt, take it to a good hardware store and find someone competent in the the nuts & bolts department who knows their business.

Alternative:
Buy a vernier caliper with metric and standard options, and metric & standard thread pitch measuring devices and measure yourself.

Cheers

View attachment 718547
Even then it can be a little difficult. Seems like there are metric sizes that are very hard to find here.

/ Bolt Size Help #58  
I could be wrong but I though JIS was for hydraulics and pipes and such. Not really anything pertaining to nuts and bolt threads.

Maybe there is? but I'd be 99.99999% sure its just a metric bolt
You're thinking of JIC. Joint Industries Council 37° flare angle. And further investigation suggests that while JIS standards dictate for ferrous and non-ferrous materials, fastener threading standards are absent.

Last edited:
   / Bolt Size Help #59  
If you are talking about studs for the 2 empty holes, try removing the loose Stud and see if it fits.
If it does take it to Kubota for a couple matches. There are internal and external thread gauges.
If you are just plugging the holes, oil them and insert wine corks!

/ Bolt Size Help #60  
Hello, I am trying to find the correct size bolts to fit my M6060 I am attaching a picture I found showing the bolts holes I am looking for. I have tries several sizes both metric and SAE but to no avail. And I have looked at the diagrams at Messicks and they are not shown. Anybody Know what size these are metric standard fine thread pitch etc. I need bolts to fit up in the two holes in front of this bracket someone else built in the picture. Thanks
I bought one of these years back and also bought a nut or bolt to fit each stud or hole. Now there is zero guessing ever!

Last edited: