Bolt Size Help

/ Bolt Size Help
Hey i need to also revisit my earlier post and say, 16mm will almost go in the hole but the threads don't seem to start at all and after looking either/both fine and course threads, of the 5/8 bolts i tried seem to be getting messed up where they are trying to start.....i tried again after i posted earlier and had a few min to think bout 5/8 and 16 mm. ....There is an answer to this and i will eventually find it no matter how archaic we get with trying, sometimes a bigger hammer just won't work, but i wish it did on this lol.

/ Bolt Size Help #112  
Sorry, nothing against Lowe's or Home Depot etc. but they do not qualify as a "good hardware store".

Yest they do have nuts & bolts but if he is looking for someone competent who can help him.....

Oh well, never mind.
I use the names: Home Desperate, and Lowers. You go to Home Desperate because you are desperately hoping they might have what you need, and Lowers with even less expectation that they might.

The the local Ace Hardware, has a few of a few thousand things. And, if they know you they will let you go peruse the warehouse and basements full of things that have been in stock since Great Grandpa opened the store in 1922, and nobody there today has any clue as to what they are. Twelve years ago I needed some ball ends for the ridge caps of historic buildings built in 1933. I couldn’t find new ones anywhere. Took one of the old ones to the store and ask Grandpa if he knew where I might get six of them. He looked of and away for a moment, and said, “I think I might have some, unless somebody sold them. lets go look.” This is when I learned about the basements. We went down stairs, and there was a hole in the basement wall, which connected to the basement of the store next door, and one into the next basement, and into the next one, and the next one, and a couple more. Fifth Basement, he walked to a shel and pulled down a box with about twenty of them. There are six stores on that side of the street in that block. They own all of them, and have connected all the basements. I immediately figured out, the fact they don’t have something on a shelf doesn't mean they don’t have it in stock. They have about five times as much in the basements as the store, and a warehouse out back that they keep the big stuff that doesn’t fit down the stairs into.

Home Desperate, and Lowers, have thousands of a thousand things. But none of the more esoteric things you need to work on anything the least bit esoteric.

• Good Post
Reactions: jmc
   / Bolt Size Help #113  
Rule of thumb: Cast iron and aluminum will ALWAYS have coarse threads, whether SAE or metric.
That makes the statement an oxymoron. Trust me, I know what "rule of thumb" means

/ Bolt Size Help #114  
Hey i need to also revisit my earlier post and say, 16mm will almost go in the hole but the threads don't seem to start at all and after looking either/both fine and course threads, of the 5/8 bolts i tried seem to be getting messed up where they are trying to start.....i tried again after i posted earlier and had a few min to think bout 5/8 and 16 mm. ....There is an answer to this and i will eventually find it no matter how archaic we get with trying, sometimes a bigger hammer just won't work, but i wish it did on this lol.
That's progress.

I have yet to see a SAE hole in a Kubota casting anywhere.

Corrosion, paint, buggered from trying other bolts, etc. It is certainly 16mm based on the way the 5/8" bolts act

/ Bolt Size Help #115  
This is a genuine SAE Kubota bolt. Don't know where it fits though.

/ Bolt Size Help #116  

Certainly not a casting since it's fine thread;)

/ Bolt Size Help #117  

Screenshot_20211106-182328.png

Looks like it fits various loaders and backhoes.

Which makes sense since those are built in the states.

Also why I said I have never seen a standard bolt on a Kubota "casting". Because those are made in a metric country

/ Bolt Size Help
That's progress.

Corrosion, paint, buggered from trying other bolts, etc. It is certainly 16mm based on the way the 5/8" bolts act
I most likely have to agree with you on this point, mm that is, it just dosent seem right that the 16mm is so disagreeable. however i think we will know for sure in the coming week as i hope to have more time to get it cleaned inspected and a fresh bolt or 2. I am not even beyond going to a local dealer (even though by phone they already said they had no idea) an in person short explination and show me session with one of the parts guys or mechanics may be in my future....if they are willing to do that, and if they have a m6060 or 7060 in stock, that may be another issue all together the way things are right now.

/ Bolt Size Help #119  
I wasn't saying the bolt hole in question was SAE or metric, so it could be M16 x 1.5 property class 5.8 or greater, which is stamped on the head of a non-propriety fastener.

/ Bolt Size Help #120  
Boy, this has turned into a pissin' match.

Has the OP tried sticking a thread pitch gauge in the hole to check the pitch?
That would seem to be the obvious first step to me.