Building my sunshade

/ Building my sunshade #1  

sodamo

Super Star Member
Tractor
LS XR4140H (Mine) BX2380 (wife’s)
Would really like a sunshade for my new LS XR4140H.
Would be easy to have cab envy, but I don’t have to move snow and most of my tractor time the temps are in 70’s, rarely hitting 81°F. If I had a cab, that might mean I’d have to mow in the rain, but the fields are to slippery when wet. That said, a bit of shade would be nice. Had a Tuff Top on my Kioti and it was great, thought I might go that way. Nope, either companies don’t ship to Hawaii or the shipping cost is prohibitively expensive. Guess I was fortunate years ago to get the TuffTop.

So my plan is to build my own. A FOPS style. But let me be clear, I’m not looking for FOPS protection, so basically a 4 legged unit.

Have some rough drawn plans and bought material. Using 1/8 aluminum square tube. 2x11/2 (wanted 21/2x11/2 but not available)and 11/4x1/14. Top will most likely be polycarbonate sheet.
I’m also planning a number of accessories. Already bought mirrors.

Likely not a speedy project, on and off with other stuff, but hope to keep thread current.

So today I was able to get the basic pieces rough cut. Got only one cut with my bandsaw and capacitor burned up, so need to replace before further progress.

IMG_0719.JPG

Not a very accurate pic as some pieces aren’t oriented correctly, but just close to where going.

/ Building my sunshade #2  
Looks like you are going to have enough structure to go ahead and build a cab. Of course, you probably don't need a cab in your location.

/ Building my sunshade #3  
Considering the cost of a commercial one, it seems like you have too much idle time on your hands. Personally I like the ROPS mounted shades with nothing in my sight line. Very happy with the 'Tuff Top' and not that expensive at under 300 bucks.

Attachments

• 100_0001.JPG
    100_0001.JPG
    522.4 KB · Views: 451
   / Building my sunshade
Looks like you are going to have enough structure to go ahead and build a cab. Of course, you probably don't need a cab in your location.

LOL, agree. I keep seeing the possibility to add a rain screen, similar to golf cart, but I’m resisting.

/ Building my sunshade
Well Daryl, wish that were true, but have a whole list of projects I’m behind.
As I said, another Tuff Top was my 1st choice. but just a quick relook:
IMG_0151.JPG
IMG_0153.JPG
IMG_0152.JPG

As for $, less than $200 at this point and likely less than and $50 to go, not counting the goodies I’m considering.
Don’t know how I’m going to like the posts in front but think the mirrors might mitigate a bit.

/ Building my sunshade #6  
Back in the early 1960’s we had two Ford 3000s equipped with umbrella buggy tops similar to this.

IMG_0598.JPG

We feature tractor the best tractor canopy tops, tractor umbrellas and tractor sunshades by Femco. We have many colors. And our tractor canopies, tractor umbrellas and tractor sunshades are proudly made in the USA!

They were later upgraded to Ford 4600s with cabs and AC but it made 12 hour days quite enjoyable cultivating 1/2 mile long rows especially on one farm that was oceanfront.

Great memories!

/ Building my sunshade
Well Terry, I do enjoy the ocean view when on the tractor 🤙
IMG_0634.JPG
BTW, I had seen this site, another no ship to Hawaii ☹️

Last edited:
   / Building my sunshade #8  
Well Daryl, wish that were true, but have a whole list of projects I’m behind.
As I said, another Tuff Top was my 1st choice. but just a quick relook:
View attachment 619939
View attachment 619940
View attachment 619941

As for $, less than $200 at this point and likely less than and $50 to go, not counting the goodies I’m considering.
Don’t know how I’m going to like the posts in front but think the mirrors might mitigate a bit.

I have those lists as well, why I bought the manufactured top in the first place. I own a fab shop so building one from scratch wasn't the issue, time was.

On my open station, I went with mirrors mounted to the loader uprights, 2 mirrors from All States ag and some flat stock and I was in business.

/ Building my sunshade #9  
Well Terry, I do enjoy the ocean view when on the tractor
View attachment 619947
BTW, I had seen this site, another no ship to Hawaii

Ah nice. sodamo your view is far superior. And no pesky rowcrops to run over when you doze off.

Last edited:
   / Building my sunshade #10  
The picture of your framework shows a top that, I think, will be too tall. You need to clear your head when you step up and no more. The higher the top the less shade you get.