Building my sunshade

/ Building my sunshade
The picture of your framework shows a top that, I think, will be too tall. You need to clear your head when you step up and no more. The higher the top the less shade you get.

Planning on 92” from ground to top of frame. Need to double check my doors.

/ Building my sunshade #12  
Planning on 92” from ground to top of frame. Need to double check my doors.

Maybe I missed something. I thought you were building a sunshade.

/ Building my sunshade
Yup, a sunshade. Did I confuse with my doors comment.? Sorry, meant the tractorshed door height. No plans for doors on tractor.

Made just a bit of progress today after getting a capacitor for bandsaw. Got the upright supports cut to proper size, holes for pins in rear, and bolt holes for fronts.

IMG_0731.JPG

Using the Rops pins in rear and the two threaded holes at front of station. Seems quite solid, but thinking I might reinforce the bolted area and add a 3rd bolt from other direction.

Thinking I might need to use some rubber tape or something to minimize noise transfer.

/ Building my sunshade #14  
If you want a windshield go with your design. Would you be able to mow if raining then consider building a cab but a simple sun shade heavy angle iron clamped to the rop with diamond thread aluminum for the roof. You should find a metal shop that sells it who can cut and bend it as you may wish. Get molding to slip on the edge to prevent getting cut by hitting an edge.

/ Building my sunshade #15  
If you want a windshield go with your design. Would you be able to mow if raining then consider building a cab but a simple sun shade heavy angle iron clamped to the rop with diamond thread aluminum for the roof. You should find a metal shop that sells it who can cut and bend it as you may wish. Get molding to slip on the edge to prevent getting cut by hitting an edge.

If going this route I would have the shop bend short sides with a formed lip for rain water. The bends would also provide rigidity and hamper vibration.

/ Building my sunshade
Great ideas, guys, Thanks.
Really doubt I’ll do windshield. Then I’d need wiper, would lose excuse not to mow in rain...

My initial top will likely be white polycarbonate roofing panel. Haven’t tried to source alum diamond plate.

/ Building my sunshade
A bit of progress, the 4 vertical legs, the 2 cross tractor top supports and the brace over the dash. Just temporarily held in place with screws for now as I’m expecting to disassemble then final reassembly. Still need the 2 top brackets that go lengthwise and possibly a cross brace at the ROPS.
I actually left it on today and brushhogged about 4 hours. Was pleased with the sturdiness, especially knowing it will get even better. The rubber tape mitigated any metallic noise.
Did you not find visibility impacted. Also found I now have a new handhold for climbing onto tractor

One consideration is to prewire when I do final assembly. The challenge being I don’t know what future uses I may want, but thinking at least 2 12vdc runs and an ethernet cable.

May investigate finding diamond tread aluminum for top. Recommended thickness? 1/8? 3/16? Other? Size will be around 44x60.

A fun project, especially given my lack of metal working.

Thought I had a pic. Will post one tomorrow.

Last edited:
   / Building my sunshade #18  
sodamo I not certain what the best material for the top would be but IF you use metal the thicknesses you mentioned would be far too heavy and unnecessary.

I think 16 gauge would be more than adequate. You could have a sheet metal shop put an “X” crease on the top for rigidity and also have them form gutters.

I wouldn’t rule out a poly top of some sort also.

I’m happy to see that it’s coming together!

/ Building my sunshade
Pic from yesterday
IMG_0793.JPG

/ Building my sunshade
Thanks Terry
Weight was primary reason I chose to make the frame from aluminum stock.
Guess My lack of metal knowledge is on display , but happy to have TBN to educate me.

Still haven’t fully ruled out the polycarbonate and it’s inexpensive enough for a 1st attempt.