Building my sunshade

/ Building my sunshade #21  
Before I bought my Tuff Top, I found a hood for a Chevy pick up truck that I was going to use for a canopy. I thought it was the perfect size and the metal was already shaped with mounting holes. Then it sort of accidentally jumped in front of my backhoe while I was driving by it too close and I was forced to think of something else. I still think that a hood off of a car or pickup truck would work great, but I've never actually seen anybody that has tried it.

/ Building my sunshade
That’s a neat idea, Eddie.

/ Building my sunshade
Hope to add the remaining 2 or 3 frame pieces this weekend but depends on weather. Mowing has priority unless raining.

As I mentioned, I’d like to add a few items:

Mirrors - got a pair of golf cart mirrors. Not certain about height, but thinking eye level or higher with ability to point down as appropriate. Maybe even a different level each side.

Cameras - Both front and rear. Front to see edge of bucket, end of forks. Would be great if the edges of quick attach was in view. On my LS, the outside edges are blocked by the loader arms meaning I have to stand or lean left/right for proper alignment. Didn’t have this situation with either Kioti or Case.
Hope is to use an old ipad as camera monitor. USB port for power/charging.
Ipad would also connect to music either something like Amazon music or stored music. Most likely listen via my noise cancelling Bluetooth headphones, but not ruling out installing speakers.

Haven’t tested it yet, but have a Picostation to extend my internet. Would mount this on rear and power via ethernet cable to connected POE.

Work lights aren’t a priority as I try not to work after dark. I have gotten predawn deliveries requiring my forks. But lights for emergency use, both front and rear could be handy.

Maybe wire up a small 12vdc fan.

Need to work out location of these items, run any wiring before final assembly and installation.

Any thoughts/feedback appreciated.

/ Building my sunshade
A bit of progress today as the rain short circuited my mowing plans.

Got the final 3 pieces of the frame, cut and dry fitted. No pics. Not on tractor, just in shop now before final check, possibly tomorrow.

Not having much success with my hope to have front and rear cameras using ipad as monitor. Seems any wireless configuration means I give up other wifi capability, which I don’t want to do. I mean, why shouldn’t I be able to monitor my cameras while listening to music or keeping tabs on the current game!! The other issue is not finding an app for split screen.
So, guess I have to change approach. https://www.amazon.com/Recording-Mo...07VP1XFWJ/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 is my current favorite. About the budget I’ve set, 2 cameras, 1080 resolution. I like that it is a 9 in monitor. No point if I can’t see. Probably need to order soon so I can figure out my wiring.

Will post updated pics once back on tractor.

/ Building my sunshade
Pic with frame in place.
IMG_0796.JPG

May add gussetts at rear top. Don’t think I need a center brace.

Very happy with height, a non factor getting in and out.

/ Building my sunshade #26  
Rain vs. mowing - we lived on Oahu a couple years in the mid-70's, out at Hauula - dumped buckets of rain every afternoon from 2:15 to 2:45 - typically there'd be a couple Wahines walking to/from the store past our house, got lots of free "wet T shirt contests" (Only on weekends for me :( ).

I usually didn't get home from work (Honolulu) til around 6, grass was plenty dry by then... Steve

/ Building my sunshade
Rain vs. mowing - we lived on Oahu a couple years in the mid-70's, out at Hauula - dumped buckets of rain every afternoon from 2:15 to 2:45 - typically there'd be a couple Wahines walking to/from the store past our house, got lots of free "wet T shirt contests" (Only on weekends for me :( ).

I usually didn't get home from work (Honolulu) til around 6, grass was plenty dry by then... Steve

Lived on Oahu 77-81, Wahiawa and Ewa Beach, worked most of the time East Range off California Ave.
Loved it. Main reason we live BI now.

/ Building my sunshade
Last edited:
   / Building my sunshade #29  
If going this route I would have the shop bend short sides with a formed lip for rain water. The bends would also provide rigidity and hamper vibration.

Totally agree and we did that. However you are dealing with thin metal which is easy to cut human skin and scalp with accident. Then maybe I am the only MALE who has just forgotten the height of the top banging my head getting on, now you know why I always wear a cap and long pants. lol

/ Building my sunshade #30  
Make the proper planning before starting any project or the construction.