Camera Security Systems???

/ Camera Security Systems??? #191  
I concur that Blue Iris is the way to go. I've been using it for the last 7+ years. The developer, Ken, is available and responsive. I'd pay 10x the cost just support his genius.

I currently have 35 cameras - mostly Hikvision and Dahua PoE IP cameras. The program is on a dedicated i7-4XXX machine running windows 10. The CPU runs between 60 and 80% (depending on the activity level of the cameras), and I have about half the cameras set to 15 FPS, with the remaining set to 25 and 30 FPS. Most are set to 1080P.

All but about 5 of the cameras are hardwired. And some runs approach 500'. The max distance for cat5/6 cable is about 330', but if you use solid copper (23ga) you can push it to about 450' w/o issue. If you need to go longer, you can get mid-span switches that act as a signal booster.

View attachment 580709View attachment 580710

Are your cameras attached to an NVR....and your pc views the cameras from the NVR....OR are they attached to the PC. Seems the NVR can do a lot of work of making the cameras work, without complexity in the network.

Having said that.....I bought some time back an IP systems from Supercircuits. They use Hikvision cameras, although I've only bought the Superciruits cameras. I cannot use anything to view the NVR except, the outdated Internet Explorer because Hikvision requires Web Components which all the other browser have abandoned...or their propriety ACMS client, which is horrible, and very taxing on the laptop. They do have a mobile app that works reasonably well. Well Blue Iris access this NVR?? I do have two monitors attached direct to the NVR on different floors of my house for constant monitoring. On those occasions I want to monitor from my laptop both Internet Explorer or the ACMS client is just less than ideal.

Are you using any power line adapters to drive the cameras? I have used, but lightening has taken it out twice. I've also used a longer Ethernet cable run, that also was taken out with lightening. Have you had those issues, and if so how do you deal with it?

/ Camera Security Systems???
Yeah, you can identify the make of balacalava or maybe tell they are wearing Hanes over their head.:shocked:

And EVEN if a perfect facial image is recorded, a smart criminal will say "that's not me" I'm not talking to law enforcement, I want my lawyer. End of case!

I don't recall mentioning law enforcement.

/ Camera Security Systems??? #194  
I'm suggesting that a savvy, well informed criminal can be identified one hundred percent, using casual observation, but unless he does something stupid like confess, there is still no evidence against him. Now, if his fingerprints were found at the scene where they had no reason to be, that could be a different story. But it depends how much time and money the prosecution is willing to spend on a given case.

/ Camera Security Systems??? #196  
Starts with a growl and ends with having flowers delivered? :laughing:

/ Camera Security Systems??? #198  
Police in my area will put security cam pics on facebook, shoplifters, etc, and ask for help identifing. The get a lot of people identified. Whether they actually get prosecuted is another matter.

/ Camera Security Systems??? #199  
And that's another point I would like to make. All this window dressing and then, no prosecution. Here, the most laughable notion is that the Poh-leece, are "investigating" your sad, turn of fortune.

Who knows, maybe they conduct these "investigations" while they TAX people texting or not wearing seat belts.

/ Camera Security Systems??? #200  
One of the most frustrating aspects of motion detection security cameras has been spiders. If anyone comes up with a long term repellant I want to know about it. Just sprayed mine with bug stop a few days ago. Rain came the day after and spiders are back.

Before anyone suggests peppermint oil, forget it. That doesn't last 10 minutes if it works at all.

Broom.