Camera Security Systems???

/ Camera Security Systems??? #211  
Been following this closely. The wife and I just bought 50 acres, with the intent of building a house at some point and retiring there. Was going to put up a barn next year, with a small ‘apartment’ in it for weekend stays.

The place is an hour from my house...what can I possibly do (other than call the police) if I were to pickup a breakin on camera? My architect friend says ‘that’s what insurance is for’...and while I get that, it sure would be nice to keep an eye on the place at anytime from my phone.

I agree about the tweekers being the primary concern...but at the same time...they are so messed up they couldn’t care less about a camera.

Anyway..love reading about the options...please keep them coming.

/ Camera Security Systems??? #212  
Been following this closely. The wife and I just bought 50 acres, with the intent of building a house at some point and retiring there. Was going to put up a barn next year, with a small ‘apartment’ in it for weekend stays.

The place is an hour from my house...what can I possibly do (other than call the police) if I were to pickup a breakin on camera? My architect friend says ‘that’s what insurance is for’...and while I get that, it sure would be nice to keep an eye on the place at anytime from my phone.

I agree about the tweekers being the primary concern...but at the same time...they are so messed up they couldn’t care less about a camera.

Anyway..love reading about the options...please keep them coming.
Just lay boards around with sharpened nails in them...leaves scattered on top.
Watch the fun!
(Construction materials)

/ Camera Security Systems??? #213  
Just lay boards around with sharpened nails in them...leaves scattered on top.
Watch the fun!
(Construction materials)

Ha ha!

Joshua Slocum (sailor, wrote Sailing Alone the World, back in the late 1800s) would put nails/tacks on the deck of his sailboat while he slept to keep from being attacked by natives (other parts of the world). Natives were barefoot.

/ Camera Security Systems??? #214  
I committed to Blue Iris today... broke down and bought the $59 software. Lots of great videos on Youtube to guide me with more functionality that I will put into practice. I have a couple cameras temporarily hooked up and been playing with the software. One is a 4x optimal zoom and the other a simple 4K bullet. In total, I have six bullets and two zooms to install permanently. I have the locations pegged from a previous system so routing should be less painful.

One of my Bains, was the false alarms with my old system. I think the Blue Iris motion trigger and zone definition area functions will come in very handy so my bushes/trees don't trigger in the wind. Spider webs I am sure will be a thorn.

I wish it was warmer and dryer climate wise... I am getting lazy and don't want to be fishing lines and mounting cameras in the winter. But... I think I better just pace myself and get the cameras done one at a time.

So... I think I have my camera surveillance scheme figured out except for the details of motion trigger sensitivity and recording length. I have the positions of the cameras laid out for the most part.... but NOW beginning research on the deterrent part of the system and how to integrate if that is best?

I want intruder alarms (audible and transmitting) on doors and selected windows. This opens up another whole can of worms!

/ Camera Security Systems??? #215  
<snip>
I like having a friend or neighbor checking at random times also.
One of the best security systems I've ever had was when I leased land to a hunt club.

<snip>

Now what I really came to this thread for was to write that I rec'd my Reolink Argus 2's. About 20:30 so I'll do the real "playing around" tomorrow.
First look -
Instructions were more than adequate, but then I've worked with computers since IBM put 3 transistors on a chip about 1972.
Very easy to set up, my biggest problem was typing in my password. I'm not a "phone typist". Process was plug battery into camera, plug a micro SD card in, scan QR code on instructions to get software, log in to Google Play and download the software. Scan QR code on camera, it linked to my house router easily, then have camera "scan" phone and it was all set up.
BUT -
Wireless reception is weak, dropped signal about 45 feet and 3 walls from the router where my signal app on the phone showed a signal strength of -70dBm.

/edit - I just realized this is my second experience with an Argus camera, I think I still have a 1960's Argus C3 35mm inherited from my Father. It too was wireless, even batteryless. :)

Update and sample pics

Played around with one a fair bit. I've been using IP cameras off and on since about 2008 so the software with no FM was a discovery process.
Hooking it up to the Mobley and back to my home router was not REAL easy but maybe I was just too impatient. But it worked fine with the Mobley in a test, both inside with the "home" router present and outside with no other router present.

The software is kludgy and reportedly it will NOT work with blue iris because BI requires some feature the camera lacks (edit -battery operated cam only).

It works as well or better than the netgear pre Arlo offering.

It's easy to pick up and move, runs fine off USB battery charging, has a sharp image. I charged up the battery to 100% on 26 Nov and it's now down to 62% after significant fiddling around, recording videos, taking a lot of snapshots, and I've got the alarm on so every time I walk by it talks to me (no more ads though).

I hung it outside (2 screws in the base to my soffit) so I can see when the Amazon deliverers are coming. That was a 3 minute process.

It seems the PIR range is about 25 feet as I've got it set.

Sample pics:
Daylight
View attachment 580885

Dark
View attachment 580886

/edit - where the pictures were taken is the same place it dropped signal when I took it out before. Don't know what changed.

/edit 2
Added the second camera - should have been simple but
1. would not "link" the scan of the upc code on the base of the 2nd unit, even after turning off the 1st unit. Has an annoying voice and the camera is shaped like something one would throw through a window when frustrated. Entered the code manually.

2. Then when the camera "scans" the generated upc code it would not acknowledge that until I doubled the size of the code (by tapping on my phone screen).

More updates -
One of the main reasons I bought them was for monitoring "stuff" wherever I wanted to using my Mobley, android phone and the camera.
Cameras have been doing fine. I performed an unscheduled drop test on one from about 5 feet onto blacktop pavement. It hit and rolled about 5 feet. Seems to work fine.
I wanted to use it as a "hitch camera".
I fixed a small piece of plywood on a decent sized magnet, and attached the "ball mount" to the plywood.
I then stick the camera on the ball mount and the magnet on my truck, my trailer, my FEL, whatever.
Here it is on my truck (upper right hand corner):
attachment.php

I attached some sample views and a pic of my Mobley set up.

With the Mobley I get pretty good wifi wherever I've tried it.

Attachments

• 2_live_1545063291731.jpg
    2_live_1545063291731.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 2_live_1545076650035.jpg
    2_live_1545076650035.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 55
  • camera8x6.jpg
    camera8x6.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 259
  • hitch1.jpg
    hitch1.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 62
  • htch2.jpg
    htch2.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 60
  • mobley8x6.jpg
    mobley8x6.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 68
   / Camera Security Systems??? #216  
Following to see what everyone is using and learn as much as possible.

/ Camera Security Systems??? #217  
I will never forget a small job I did for a guy in Hamilton, living in a Tiny war time house. His neighbor, a lady wasn't six feet away from his back door, a constant fixture in her window. He was fixing to make something to eat, but didn't have the appropriate pan, and went shopping for a rather short time.

He came back to find his house totally striped of electronics and valuables. The lady, saw nothing!

I have to think of that case, whenever I hear about someone saying that a neighbor is keeping an eye on their place. And BTW, as I recall, the lady felt terrible.

/ Camera Security Systems???
   / Camera Security Systems??? #220  
Just a word of warning.

As previously noted, I purchased a Lorex system. I very foolishly set the output resolution to one that my monitor does not support. Unlike a stupid/underdeveloped/bloated Windows system, it does not check to make sure it is visible. So far, I have sent a support request to Lorex (over a week ago) with no response as to how to fix this. The only solutions I have so far are A) buy a new NVR or B) Buy a 4k monitor.