Can you braze a hydraulic line?

/ Can you braze a hydraulic line? #41  
Thank you for the info to conclusion. We often don't get that here. Craftsman.

/ Can you braze a hydraulic line? #42  
You got your PHD in brazing. Looks good. Is it an injury risk if it fails?

It has a floor pan that bolts back over that so there’s virtually no chance of oil spray hurting anyone if it were to leak.

/ Can you braze a hydraulic line? #43  
Wish I'd have seen this yesterday. In the aircraft industry, they repair hydraulic lines by buffing the line, then wrap mechanics wire around the tubing, approx. 1/2" either side of a leak, then Silver Solder. I have a buddy who is an aircraft tech, and has made more than several repairs like this. I asked if that was a temporary fix, and he said no. Really surprised me they would do such a thing. He said you'd probably be surprised how many commercial aircraft are in the air with that type of repair.

Plus the fact most commercial aircraft hydraulic pressure runs 3,000 psi.

/ Can you braze a hydraulic line? #44  
Wish I'd have seen this yesterday. In the aircraft industry, they repair hydraulic lines by buffing the line, then wrap mechanics wire around the tubing, approx. 1/2" either side of a leak, then Silver Solder. I have a buddy who is an aircraft tech, and has made more than several repairs like this. I asked if that was a temporary fix, and he said no. Really surprised me they would do such a thing. He said you'd probably be surprised how many commercial aircraft are in the air with that type of repair.

Plus the fact most commercial aircraft hydraulic pressure runs 3,000 psi.

Need to remember wrapping with wire trick before brazing. SS safety wire?

/ Can you braze a hydraulic line?
I'm trying to imagine the function of the wire wrap. Is it supposed to reinforce the silver? Silver makes such a good patch because of its flexibility. It can handle the expansion and contraction of the steel pipe without cracking. That's why we use a higher silver brazing rod on dissimilar metal connections. If you were brazing a copper line into a steel socket, the difference in expansion and contraction during temperature fluctuations is pretty big. The high silver filler material (45-55%) can handle that stress. When we are brazing similar metals like a copper joint, we usually only use 15% silver alloy.

/ Can you braze a hydraulic line?
I guess I can see how the wire wrap would be beneficial if there is a split in the tube.

/ Can you braze a hydraulic line? #47  
I’m guessing you meant flare fitting not compression. Compression can’t handle hydraulic pressure.
Yes they will. I've been running a hydra push manure spreader with a compression fitting on it for 20 years. I replaced it last year to get everything right to sell it. We'd pack 8 yards on it cleaning out chicken houses. Maybe 300 loads each clean out.

/ Can you braze a hydraulic line? #48  
Need to remember wrapping with wire trick before brazing. SS safety wire?
Soft mechanics wire, so it's easy to wrap around the tubing.

/ Can you braze a hydraulic line? #49  
I guess I can see how the wire wrap would be beneficial if there is a split in the tube.
I'm assuming to keep any solder getting inside the tubing, and contaminating the hydraulic fluid. Just solder beyond the wire to make sure it will seal.

/ Can you braze a hydraulic line? #50  
Yes they will. I've been running a hydra push manure spreader with a compression fitting on it for 20 years. I replaced it last year to get everything right to sell it. We'd pack 8 yards on it cleaning out chicken houses. Maybe 300 loads each clean out.

Roustabout used the proper fitting.

Flared fittings do come in different configurations and materials for different design pressure. The local hardware store likely will not be carrying the high pressure version. There are piping situations where flared fittings are not allowed.

eg. Brake line flares are not the same as plumbing flares.