Cedar vs pt Pine fence posts

/ Cedar vs pt Pine fence posts #1  

BertZegers

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L2900, Zetor 8011, Kubota KX41Excavator, John Deere 4400 Combine, Case 1816C skidsteer
I need a new fence for my pasture. Maybe for 2 or 3 Jersey cows. The pasture is about 2 acres. The terrain is hilly and there is almost no straight line. I need 1/4 of a mile fencing. I have a 6" PTO post hole digger for my tractor.

I am thinking to use RedBrand "field fence" , "square deal knot" 47 inch high 6 inch pull out. (1047-6-11)

I live in southwest Ontario, cold winters, hot summer, and wet spring and fall.

What would be the best poles to use cedar or presure treated pine? (I dont mind the looks and neither do the animals.) but whitch would last the longest ?
Would a 4" pole be heavy enough? (8 foot post to post)

What do you people think?

/ Cedar vs pt Pine fence posts #2  
In Texas, there is no contest....there are "cedar" posts that have been in the ground 100 years and are still good.
I've used all sorts of pine posts..penta treated and creosote.... cemented and not....all pine rots...give it 10 or more years and you are replacing bunches of posts.

Only warning....the cedar we use here is properly called ash juniper....has a deep red aromatic heart or center which is very rot and insect resistant....the white outer layer, not so much....so, gotta use posts that have a red heart/center of 4 inches or greater.

Don't know if this is the "cedar" you are talking about...maybe you could send a link to the particular kind and we can look for its characteristics.

That said, you might consider using metal T posts for some of your posts...they last well. If you have a FEL, it can be used to drive the T posts assuming it doesn't hit a solid rock.

Lots of fencing tricks and techniques....suggest you use net and research more.....

That said, RedBrand fence as you describe is a great wire fence...we use 5 strand of barb often here...along with electric wire as well.

Might look at what your neighbors are doing...and maybe they will cost share with you??

/ Cedar vs pt Pine fence posts #3  
Yep, cedar hands down. But...T posts are really a time saver and will last just as long.

/ Cedar vs pt Pine fence posts #4  
Cedar would be my first choise as well

/ Cedar vs pt Pine fence posts #5  
Here is Missouri we use "hedge", also known as Osage Orange. The Maclura Pomifera tree is highly insect and decay resistant; very heavy and dense.

It was widely distributed during the dust bowl days and planted as windbreaks. I would say the majority of farms here in the Midwest use this along with metal T posts, mainly because of its local availability.

Hedge posts can often be found for sale in the rural areas, or found at farm auctions. I have no clue if you have this species or similar in your area, but if you do - you can't go wrong.

Here is what the non edible fruit looks like. If I had a nickel for everyone of those I tossed into the sky and shot with a shotgun... :)

FWIW, the scrub cedar we have here isn't worth diddly for posts. For that matter, neither is the pine.

image-1527313010.jpg

Last edited:
   / Cedar vs pt Pine fence posts #6  
In Texas, there is no contest....there are "cedar" posts that have been in the ground 100 years and are still good.
I've used all sorts of pine posts..penta treated and creosote.... cemented and not....all pine rots...give it 10 or more years and you are replacing bunches of posts.

Now that is a very interesting comment on pine poles. I wonder if the pine you use is different from the one we use here. We use Pinus Radiata in all the vineyards and I have never seen them rot out. They are pulling out vineyards 20 years old and the posts are as good as new. Wonder if it has something to do with the climate or the type of pine. We have no severe frosts or snow. Would the freeze thaw thing cause them to break up??

/ Cedar vs pt Pine fence posts #7  
It goes like this, treated lumber 15 yrs at best, cedar 30yrs+, black logust, place a rock on it when the rock turns to dust time for a new post :), more like 70+yrs.

/ Cedar vs pt Pine fence posts #8  
This question is asked frequently. I have asked it as well. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

The answer is use the cedar or use the PT pine. :D:D:D

We have huge amounts of Eastern Red Cedar on our place and I have several piles of the stuff here and there. I won't use it for anything that is in contact with the dirt and that needs to last a long time. I see plenty of fence rows and outbuildings falling down because the cedar has rotted out. Only the center part of the cedar will last while the outer part rots quickly. A four inch post might only have once inch of rot resistant wood. There is not much strength in one inch of wood. DOT puts up fences along the highway right of ways and I don't see those fence posts rotting away.

The PT wood needs to be at least have .40 of pressure treatment. There are higher treatment levels for use in dock building and wood foundations. I don't think I have ever seen a post rated at more than .40.

I buy PT wood that will be use on important projects from a local manufacturer for years.

I did look at the US Forest Product Lab website and they have wood post tests going back to the mid 60's. I could not find a use of cedar though. Quickly reading through their tests results says one should use PT wood. A couple of the reports where testing after the posts had been in the ground for decades. Part of the test was to pull the post to see if it would hold or break.

The lab website is here, Forest Products Laboratory - USDA Forest Service. A search for pressure treated posts got ABaGizillion hits. :D

Look at the fence posts being used in your area. I think there are so many variables with bugs, soil conditions, moisture levels, wood type, preservation amounts, preservation chemicals, quality of preservation, that saying what works/don't work for me will perform well for you way up Nawth. :D

Later,
Dan

/ Cedar vs pt Pine fence posts #10  
This question is asked frequently. I have asked it as well. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

The answer is use the cedar or use the PT pine. :D:D:D

We have huge amounts of Eastern Red Cedar on our place and I have several piles of the stuff here and there. I won't use it for anything that is in contact with the dirt and that needs to last a long time. I see plenty of fence rows and outbuildings falling down because the cedar has rotted out. Only the center part of the cedar will last while the outer part rots quickly. A four inch post might only have once inch of rot resistant wood. There is not much strength in one inch of wood. DOT puts up fences along the highway right of ways and I don't see those fence posts rotting away.

The PT wood needs to be at least have .40 of pressure treatment. There are higher treatment levels for use in dock building and wood foundations. I don't think I have ever seen a post rated at more than .40.

I buy PT wood that will be use on important projects from a local manufacturer for years.

I did look at the US Forest Product Lab website and they have wood post tests going back to the mid 60's. I could not find a use of cedar though. Quickly reading through their tests results says one should use PT wood. A couple of the reports where testing after the posts had been in the ground for decades. Part of the test was to pull the post to see if it would hold or break.

The lab website is here, Forest Products Laboratory - USDA Forest Service. A search for pressure treated posts got ABaGizillion hits. :D

Look at the fence posts being used in your area. I think there are so many variables with bugs, soil conditions, moisture levels, wood type, preservation amounts, preservation chemicals, quality of preservation, that saying what works/don't work for me will perform well for you way up Nawth. :D

Later,
Dan

First you want to use cedar that has the center red area of the given diameter that you want. If you want a 6x6 size you need to use a similar red heard diameter. Cause the white outer sapwood is not rot resistant like the red heart is.

Dan, my farm is probly a few hours south of you, im about 1 hour below charlotte. My grandparents built all the out buildings, and there are pics of my dad in front of some when he was maybe 8 or so. This puts the sheds in the 50 yr old range. SUre the diameter of the posts has shrunk but the car shed is still standing pretty good. The sides and floor of the work room end is rotting but its still straight upright.

If it were me i would use posts with about a 6" red center and metal t posts inbetween. Say a cedar post every 30-50 feet and metal inbetween.

Oh dock piles i think are in the 2-3lb per cubic foot range mabe 3.5?? i can check though for sure i know a pole buyer pretty good i work with.