Chain sharpening

/ Chain sharpening #51  
I’ve had the most crooked cut problems aside from the obvious damaged chain from a worn bar. Once it starts happening I take it off and grind it on my strip sander and that fixes the problem.
This might be a stupid qestion, but what are you grinding off??

/ Chain sharpening #52  
ther are burs or raised edges on a worn bar that need to be filed - flat sides of bars is what i do.. they have a tool i have seen for truing up a bar - never bought one though.

/ Chain sharpening #53  
ther are burs or raised edges on a worn bar that need to be filed - flat sides of bars is what i do.. they have a tool i have seen for truing up a bar - never bought one though.
Gee, takes two minutes to knock those bar burrs off. Been there, done that, but these will make your cut not straight?

Last edited:
   / Chain sharpening #54  
i think the cutters that are sharpened wrong or differently than the others will do that. if i nderstood you correctly.

/ Chain sharpening #55  
Gee, takes two minutes to knock those bar burrs off. Been there, done that, but these will make your cut not straight?

i think the cutters that are sharpened wrong or differently than the others will do that. if i nderstood you correctly.

Both can cause a cut to be off.

/ Chain sharpening #56  
This might be a stupid qestion, but what are you grinding off??

Burrs on the bar and given enough use they get tracks worn in them and need flattened back out.

/ Chain sharpening #57  
I use round files in the field. Oregon grinder when I hit something.

/ Chain sharpening
I tried special Stihl file. Continue to use the Dremel with round stones. Bought a new set of 3. Got at Lowes.