Floating top link on a box blade?

/ Floating top link on a box blade? #1  

Riptide23

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX23
I have a box blade for driveway maintenance, but I've gotten mixed results, mainly due to how the blade pitches down as the tractor pitches up when driving over bumps and piles of stone. I've been contemplating buying a tow-behind box blade instead...

After using my brush hog the other day and observing how the floating top link allows a limited amount of float for the mower to follow the ground contour independent of the tractor, I got to thinking about how an added floating top link might allow the box blade to work better in grading out the stone.

Anybody ever try this? Is there something fundamental that I'm overlooking? (I often find out there's a reason why no one does something after I have a burst of inspiration, sometimes with spectacular results.) I might just disconnect the top link altogether prior to a run down the driveway.

This is cheap and simple enough that I'm going to try regardless, but would like to poll others first.

Thanks in advance.

/ Floating top link on a box blade? #2  
I use a piece of chain on my landscape rake. Limits the down travel, but allows some up travel. That avoids driving it downward as the front of the tractor goes up on small rises, but lets it float as the nose drops lower. Seems to make leveling material work out better by reducing the washboarding.

/ Floating top link on a box blade? #3  
I have a quick hitch and a stirrup as well as top and tilt cylinders. I put the stirrup on the top cylinder side (right behind the QH) so the "float" is available for all my implements. I'm putting pedal shaft seals on my Ford 3910 and will try to remember to snap a picture of the setup. Works great!

/ Floating top link on a box blade? #4  
I have a quick hitch and a stirrup as well as top and tilt cylinders. I put the stirrup on the top cylinder side (right behind the QH) so the "float" is available for all my implements. I'm putting pedal shaft seals on my Ford 3910 and will try to remember to snap a picture of the setup. Works great!
I'm thinking that the "stirrup" is some kind of floating link? Did you mean (right AHEAD of the QH?)

In regard to letting the implement "float", it probably makes a big difference whether the 3PH is at a set position or the lever is all the way down letting the 3PH itself float.

Letting the 3PH itself float seems like it would result in some implements trying to "roll over" on themselves.

/ Floating top link on a box blade? #5  
Without a top link you will not be able to adjust the angle of the blade for cutting or smoothing , But if your just wanting to drag gravel for smoothing then that should work ok.

/ Floating top link on a box blade?
I use a piece of chain on my landscape rake. Limits the down travel, but allows some up travel. That avoids driving it downward as the front of the tractor goes up on small rises, but lets it float as the nose drops lower. Seems to make leveling material work out better by reducing the washboarding.
Hmmn. That might be a better idea. And as npalen states, the connected toplink prevents the implement from tripping over itself.

/ Floating top link on a box blade? #7  
I have a box blade for driveway maintenance, but I've gotten mixed results, mainly due to how the blade pitches down as the tractor pitches up when driving over bumps and piles of stone. I've been contemplating buying a tow-behind box blade instead...

After using my brush hog the other day and observing how the floating top link allows a limited amount of float for the mower to follow the ground contour independent of the tractor, I got to thinking about how an added floating top link might allow the box blade to work better in grading out the stone.

Anybody ever try this? Is there something fundamental that I'm overlooking? (I often find out there's a reason why no one does something after I have a burst of inspiration, sometimes with spectacular results.) I might just disconnect the top link altogether prior to a run down the driveway.

This is cheap and simple enough that I'm going to try regardless, but would like to poll others first.

Thanks in advance.
Floating top link won't work. If you want it smooth, set the lift when you start a run and don't touch it and go over it several times. Or you can go painfully slow and work the lift handle You might do that the first few times to knock the bad spots down a little. Box blades carry dirt, so if you leave the up down handle alone, the dirt you carry will fill the holes as you go.

Bush hogs work with a float top because it has a wheel on the rear. If you didn't ever pick it up, you can leave the top link off. You need a top link on any type blade or plow to force the rear down. I use a chain floating top link on my break plow ... I don't think so, I know that ain't gone work.

/ Floating top link on a box blade? #8  
Hmmn. That might be a better idea. And as npalen states, the connected toplink prevents the implement from tripping over itself.
Land scape rake is long and gravity keeps it down. A box blade will roll toward tractor soon as it hits the ground.

/ Floating top link on a box blade?
Land scape rake is long and gravity keeps it down. A box blade will roll toward tractor soon as it hits the ground.
Yeah, as I'm thinking about the geometry more, I can understand that happening. Thanks for this.