Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look?

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #181  
My mother is in the two story house which my grandfather built in 1927. After my father passed away we moved her bed downstairs and the washing machine upstairs. The stairs to the second floor aren't too bad, and she doesn't go up there very often; but she still finds reasons to go down into the cellar. It has a narrow, steep stairway going down. She walks with a cane and already fell down them once when my father was alive. If I had my way we’d nail the door shut.

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #182  
just me and wife.
Curious, is it just you and your wife now in the house? I'm assuming 2 stories?

I ask being I'm trying to plan on the next phase of our lives (with my wife).

My dad only had a 1,400 square foot house, 3 levels, but the attic was for guest only to sleep. Thing is, even when he got into his 80's before he hurt his back, the basement was getting harder and harder for him by himself (where the washer and dryer were).
basement is guest bedrooms, bath,storage pantry,craft room and home theater.

Just the wife and I, plus a cat and dog. the dog rules the house, or so she believes.

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #183  
just me and wife.

basement is guest bedrooms, bath,storage pantry,craft room and home theater.

Just the wife and I, plus a cat and dog. the dog rules the house, or so she believes.
May I ask how old you guys are?

My line of thinking is that you and your wife don't use the basement that much?

Have to laugh, never thought you the kind of guy to have a home theater 😁 (let alone anyone living in Idaho LOL).

We have six dogs right now (including my deceased FIL's 2 dogs which we took in because his wife couldn't handle them) and at the end of the day, they do dictate who rules the house🤣

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #184  
mt Shasta might be the best of them all!

i will ask again, why is it in the east we TEND to say.....

Roan Mountain.....Black mountain, Grandfather mountain

while...

out west they TEND to say, mt Shasta, mt hood etc etc

western way is more euro speak.
Mt. Hood's name was Wy'east named by the Multnomah tribe . . .

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #185  
May I ask how old you guys are?

My line of thinking is that you and your wife don't use the basement that much?

Have to laugh, never thought you the kind of guy to have a home theater 😁 (let alone anyone living in Idaho LOL).

We have six dogs right now (including my deceased FIL's 2 dogs which we took in because his wife couldn't handle them) and at the end of the day, they do dictate who rules the house🤣
64. We use the basement a lot.well, the wife more than me. But it’s used quite a bit. Way cooler to sleep down there in summer.

i was spreading manure today, and my dog decided I should not try it alone. I don’t think she thinks I’m qualified.
881D7D03-FA90-437E-BE70-79A998DF38FB.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #186  
We use the basement a lot.well, the wife more than me. But it’s used quite a bit. Way cooler to sleep down there in summer.
Have to laugh, our basement was generally the nicest place to relax as it was below grade. After my dad moved in, that area doesn't go below 76F, and that's during the summer. Pushes 80F during the winter.

That's what happens when you have a 80 year plus old guy use to hydronic oil heat at his old house in PA, then goes to forced air in NC.

When I come up from helping him take a bath, I'm sweating bullets 🤣

By the way, very nice looking well behaved dog. That dog would worry me at night if I were a stranger LOL (most likely a sweetheart, but you never know when you don't know them).

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #187  
Have to laugh, our basement was generally the nicest place to relax as it was below grade. After my dad moved in, that area doesn't go below 76F, and that's during the summer. Pushes 80F during the winter.

That's what happens when you have a 80 year plus old guy use to hydronic oil heat at his old house in PA, then goes to forced air in NC.

When I come up from helping him take a bath, I'm sweating bullets

I'm quite certain you would LOVE a single level dwelling.

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #188  
Even as a puppy she had the loudest, deep bark that you can imagine. Super deep from a small puppy. Very weird. But she’s super sweet girl.

if she sees me getting into cart or truck..she’s up in the seat next to me.

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #189  
I'm quite certain you would LOVE a single level dwelling.
We will be here over 20 years before we decide to move most likely. Yes, I would agree with your assessment. Even when we move, I'd never lose the love I have for this house as it's accomplished all of our objectives why we bought it in the first place.

My goal? Something small on the shore and something small in the mountains so we don't become snowbirds from the NE to Florida LOL

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #190  
Even as a puppy she had the loudest, deep bark that you can imagine. Super deep from a small puppy. Very weird. But she’s super sweet girl.

if she sees me getting into cart or truck..she’s up in the seat next to me.
Looks like a Rottie? My old roommate had one. Swear to God, one of the sweetest dogs you'd ever meet. That said, if you didn't know her, she'd scare the crap out of you looking at her for the first time LOL