Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look?

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #201  
Yes, I’ve been sort of looking for land the last few years. Most lots are crap.

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #202  
i bet hes PISSED
At the end of the day, the only person he has a right to be pissed off at is himself.

When we bought our place, we originally bought it with 8 acres. We ended up carrying two mortgages, one for the house and 8 acres, the other for the remaining 32 acres. We really struggled over our decision on why we needed that extra land at that moment in time (I'm not a farmer by any means other than our garden). It all came down to the fact that the "back yard" was pretty nice with some open fields, and we didn't want anyone building behind us. Sometimes we questioned ourselves on if it was the decision for that extra mortgage as that extra payment put a good ding on our savings.

Ironically enough my wife and I were taking about the principal left on the land, and we'll most like pay it all off by the first quarter of next year. Looking back 16 years ago when we bought the place, buying that extra land was without a doubt the correct decision. Besides that, before my wife's grandfather died, he got his last buck on our property around age 82, and that really put a smile on my wife's face.

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #203  
.... Looking back 16 years ago when we bought the place, buying that extra land was without a doubt the correct decision. Besides that, before my wife's grandfather died, he got his last buck on our property around age 82, and that really put a smile on my wife's face.

Yeah. There is no such thing as extra land in my mind. Grab all you can get while you can. Especially so if it around your primary house.

In your case, it looks to have been of value in more ways than one.

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #204  
Yeah. There is no such thing as extra land in my mind. Grab all you can get while you can. Especially so if it around your primary house.
The one thing everyone told me when I was asking opinions from people I trust was "well Joe, they aren't making land anymore".

Kicker was, back then we didn't feel like we were getting a great deal on the land at like $3,400 per acre.

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #205  
The one thing everyone told me when I was asking opinions from people I trust was "well Joe, they aren't making land anymore".

Kicker was, back then we didn't feel like we were getting a great deal on the land at like $3,400 per acre.

And I bet your original price of 3,400 looks like a fantasy price today.

With all the development around me, NC is looking more interesting everyday.

I am anxious to see my tax and insurance bills this year.

Amazon just bought some land for close to one million an acre nearby. I expect my taxes to go way down now.
Smirk.

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #206  
I see a lot of that type of development here in NC. Sell off the easy lots with frontage and have a large flag lot in the back. It can be pretty tacky when it's done poorly.
ha

that's exactly what i got and don't mind because i'm way way back off the road and don't have to pick up their litter.

if you go to the GIS county maps you can see how the previous owner every once in a while sold off an acre of road frontage to pay for?..

who knows?

i always tried to do my homework but......outside of portland i bought 7 acres with a house and a gorgeous stand of fir trees across the street.

i asked 3-4 neighbors if they knew the owners etc etc etc.

NOTHING!

6 months later, 60 acre clear cut out my front picture window

. all the neighbors had received a letter the previous year telling them of the scheduled clear cut. the realtor also knew of it and when i threatened to sue her she almost pooped.
had i still been working we were going to court!

another reason to love your fellow man.

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #207  
My property was over $10k acre 25 yrs ago.

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #208  
A real estate agent texted me last weekend about buying my property. My response was $6M it’s yours. I hope I went high enough.

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #209  
A real estate agent texted me last weekend about buying my property. My response was $6M it’s yours. I hope I went high enough.
Texted you?

I'd be on that persons butt for invasion of privacy/spamming/unsolicited and what not.

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #210  
I paid 500 an acre for 110 acres. My house is in the middle of it. Mixed farm and woods land in my area is still around 3000 and acre today but getting hard to find.