Great lake boats, a good video

/ Great lake boats, a good video
#1,222  
In case anyone wonders--------------------

SAULT STE. MARIE, Mich. --
The Soo Locks in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan will close to marine traffic beginning 11:59 p.m. January 15, or until commercial traffic ceases, through 12:01 a.m. March 25 to perform critical maintenance.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #1,223  
In case anyone wonders--------------------

SAULT STE. MARIE, Mich. --
The Soo Locks in Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan will close to marine traffic beginning 11:59 p.m. January 15, or until commercial traffic ceases, through 12:01 a.m. March 25 to perform critical maintenance.
Did it ever cease this year?

#1,224  
Did it ever cease this year?
Its closed now and expected to open on March 25. They close it ever year for maintenance. With the new lock being built now, I expect the maintenance schedule could change.

#1,225  

Soo Locks to open Great Lakes shipping season March 25​

Soo Locks

Soo Locks(US Army Corps of Engineers)
By WILX News 10
Published: Mar. 16, 2023 at 9:52 AM EDT|Updated: 3 hours ago
SAULT STE. MARIE, Mich. (WILX) - The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers will open the Poe Lock March 25, marking the 2023 Great Lakes shipping season start.
The operating season is fixed by federal regulation and vessels inability to operate in typical Great Lakes ice conditions.
The Poe Lock closed Jan. 16 for repairs and maintenance during the 10 weeklong winter shutdown.
Maintenance crews performed repairs on the large gates at each end of the lock chamber. The gates open and close allowing ships to enter and leave the lock and prevent water from entering or exiting the lock while boats are lifted or lowered.
“Crews also performed a wide range of other maintenance tasks including fender timber replacements, electrical and mechanical systems inspections, and preventative maintenance on both the Poe and MacArthur Locks and floating plant maintenance,” Maintenance Branch Chief Nick Pettit said.
Contractors performed work on the Poe Lock ship arrestor project. OCCI of Missouri, was awarded the contract in July 2021, for $17.5M. T
The MacArthur Lock, located south of the Poe, is scheduled to open April 24.
“We welcome visitors into the park for the 2023 Soo Locks season opening. The park and viewing platform will open March 24 at 11 p.m. and close March 25 at 1 a.m.
The Visitor Center will host an open house March 25 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.,” Chief Park Ranger Michelle Briggs said.
The park is open daily 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers plans to open the Soo Locks Visitor Center May 1 for the summer season.
For those not able to come to the Soo Locks opening, there will be a Facebook Live stream of the first ship on our Facebook page starting at 11:55 p.m., March 24 at: U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Detroit District.

#1,226  
Florence Spirit loading Coke at Zug Island Detriot MI, and churning up the Rouge River mud March 20th.
336782990_237585108637859_3109894167729806282_n.jpg
336184980_163702736542068_8198607173737210144_n.jpg
336182375_1380738402681013_8452266910566775607_n.jpg

The 2023 shipping season Is slowly coming to a start, safe travels to all the sailors.

#1,227  
This is a post on FB from the gal who owns the fish business here. As you can see, they are fishing company but let the young one operate their boats. Below is one.
-------------------------------------------------
Good morning. Cold outside again. My dog goes out and in real fast when its cold. Had to give him his bath this morning and now he smells good. Grooming for him at 9. Well the guys managed to get some nets pulled yesterday but were rocking and rolling on that big lake. They got blown off the lake as it got worse and worse. I always worry about them out there when its blowing. I remember a long time ago when we had only 1 survival suit on the boat and we would laugh and say, well if the boat starts to go down I get the leg and another would say,, save the arms for me. Thank goodness we have enough suits for everyone on board now. So as I said they managed to get some nets pulled so we have plenty of fresh whitefish and lake trout for all of you this morning. Doctor appointments in Marquette yesterday. Both the old man and myself are getting ready to go under the knife soon. His eyes need fixing to remove his cataracts and I need a new back. They plan to remove a couple vertebrae and bolt me back together. The joys of getting old. I am so grateful that I am still able to get up and go and after surgery and a long recovery I will be able to go, go, go. Will have to dig out and dust off my dancing shoes. Lol. Well here's to another great day. Stay warm. Spring is just around the corner. Pat

petersonfishingboat.jpg

/ Great lake boats, a good video #1,228  
Looks brutal. I take it they plow through the ice to open water to set nets. Those great lakes fish boats rock and roll in the waves. I'd barf pretty quickly. :sick::ROFLMAO:

#1,229  
Looks brutal. I take it they plow through the ice to open water to set nets. Those great lakes fish boats rock and roll in the waves. I'd barf pretty quickly. :sick::ROFLMAO:
Ya, the life of these fisherman is tough. Pat and Gil (husband to Pat) have been fishing in Superior there entire lives. Heard a few stores from Pat while chatting with her at there fish market