Home Security Camera question

/ Home Security Camera question #61  
Back in my Marine Corps days, I was an Embassy Marine, and every type of door lock had a number rating. 20 to 30 was the most common. The highest rating that we had on a lock was 45. These numbers where the amount of time in seconds that it would delay somebody from getting through them. At that time, there was no such thing as a lock that would delay somebody for a full minute!!!

I have two concerns with wireless. Batteries and quality of picture for similar priced cameras. I've also found that everything wireless seems to have a very limited lifespan with issues almost daily of one kind or another. Cell phones and home WiFi are a good examples. While this might change, I'm comfortable committing to a hard wired system at this time.

You won't need batteries for wireless cameras. Only video/audio signal will be sent to your network wirelessly. You can hard wire the power for the cameras to have power 24/7. It may involve a power adapter and an AC outlet near the camera mounting point.

That being said, I don't like wireless stuff, either. I like hard wired things. I wired my entire house with two coax and two network jacks at most locations. Now it's about pointless, as every computer, laptop, tablet, cell phone, television, video device, etc.... uses WIFI in the house. No need for wired networks anymore.

But CAT5 cable is dirt cheap, you can run it now while the walls are open to boxes in the locations you want cameras and be done with it. The hard part is going to be able to find wired cameras in a few years. It'll be like antique shopping. So don't wait too long.

/ Home Security Camera question #62  
I really don't want to run conduit, but realize that your advice is solid. There is one corner of my house that once I finish this room off, will be impossible to get to from the attic. AC ducts have it blocked and the only way to get to that corner will require sheetrock to be removed. One inch conduit wouldn't be difficult to install at this time.

A friend of mine just built a house last year. He put in some conduits from attic to basement for future use and just capped them off. As you said, now is the time to do it and it doesn't cost much at all.

/ Home Security Camera question #63  
... The hard part is going to be able to find wired cameras in a few years. It'll be like antique shopping. So don't wait too long.

I agree about the wireless and didn't choose for those reasons - who is going to have power outlet real close to where every camera is wanted? Not me for sure. May as well supply it with the cable going back to DVR anyway. More complexity = more stuff to break or not work right was my thought....

As for the camera tech, I doubt that very much. Look at what's for sale now....some real outdated lower end stuff still available. Even BNC systems will surely be available in a couple years, and for sure PoE consumer/small biz grade stuff will be for many, many years. People will want the simplicity and low cost or need to upgrade an older system but want to reuse their existing wiring. I would not worry one bit that I couldn't find the same or equivalent system 5 yrs from now as a current Lorex/Amcrest/Night Owl/other popular brand. I would only expect that it would cost less or have more options for same price 5yrs in the future.

/ Home Security Camera question #64  
I agree about the wireless and didn't choose for those reasons - who is going to have power outlet real close to where every camera is wanted? ....

Pretty much every house has front porch lights, garage door lights, service entrance lights, yard lights.... those are all power sources. You can put motion sensors or dusk-dawn sensors on the lights and the power will stay on 24/7 for the cameras.

/ Home Security Camera question #65  
Another option to wiring is Powerline Ethernet.

I have a power-line module in my basement and another in a detached garage. In the basement it connects to my main Ethernet switch and in the garage there is a PoE Ethernet switch powering 4 - 5mp cameras (and a computer and wireless access point).