Buying Advice L35 Backhoe

/ L35 Backhoe #1  

goochy

Silver Member
New to site , wanting to buy a orange tractor with loader , but now after looking at factory backhoe kits , I WANT one on those !!! The backhoe comes off then you have a 3 point hitch !!

Thinking about buying a L35 backhoe . Its a 2000 model L35 ft end / backhoe unit , it was a rental unit with 1900 HRS . Its is good cond , tires fair . They are asking $14,000 , I offered $10,000 CASH . He laughed . Its been sitting for 5 months , so battery dead . He said for $260.00 I could still rent it , use it for 8 hrs , if I like it buy it and the $260.00 comes off asking price. If I DO NOT buy , I am just out $260.00 and I get to use it all weekend for 8 hrs . Would yall be afraid to buy a rental ? He said they HAVE to keep it serviced because they can not afford for it to break , after they rent it . TO go out and fix on site or give refunds cost them to much cash . Its looks like a tractor that has been worked hard , but he said it runs like new . I am on a buget and most ft end loader 35 hp tractors with NO backhoe cost around $12,000-$16,000 USED !! So I think $14,000 for a L35 is a fair deal , and I get to try it before I buy it . How do L35s do as a tractor ? Box blade , bushog, etc ............ I really only need a ft end loader 4x4 . But I was thinking for $14,000 tractor and backhoe is a better deal than just a tractor only .

100_0399.jpg

100_0393.jpg

100_0397.jpg

100_0394.jpg

/ L35 Backhoe
needing some info , he is holding it for me . He is going to service it next week , so I can rent it soon. Ground is still wet from snow , so might be 2 weeks before I can rent it . I am on a tight budget, so if runs good and is tight , I can slowly fix the small stuff.

/ L35 Backhoe #3  
If your thinking about spending that kind of money. I'd be thinking in the back of my mind that with that many hours on it and it's a rental ,there must have been alot of guys using it hard, that were learning as they go. You know most of the people that rent things beat the **** out of it.:eek: They want to get as much work out of it for their money without worrying about it breaking, because of costly repairs. If you bought it off a private owner then you would know most of the time we treat them better than some family members . Look around some of your dealers and private sales , your going to find one that's going to have less hours and get a good idea about the history of the tractor . I'd love to have a backhoe too, but the tractor is the main thing to think about ,the backhoe you'll use alot but the tractor you'll use all the time. Not trying to talk you out of it or anything , just wouldn't want you to regret it latter.:2cents:

/ L35 Backhoe #4  
Agree with First one. The rental outfit will do all the essentials to keep their equipment earning money, but that does not solve the problem of how it gets used and abused by the operator du jour. There can be things that don't totally sideline the unit, but are nonetheless worn or less functional than they should be. For example, you can see the tires on that L35 have a good amount of wear, probably from operating on a paved surface. How much do you want to wager that most of the guys who rented it never took it out of 4WD when running it around on the pavement? Is the 4WD drivetrain working? Probably. Does it have components that were stressed and worn from the hard use? Probably. Will something in the drivetrain let go prematurely from the hard use? I dunno. But that's what you're betting on when you buy a rental unit.

/ L35 Backhoe #5  
My new Holland with front end loader had 97 hrs on it i paid $12,000..its 30 hp not 35, an the orange tractors will pick up more, but at 12 mine was dam near new,,14 with that kind of hrs?Its safe to say at least it was greased before it had the **** beat out of it every time it went out,,,If there was something "BIG"messed up surely you'll know after you run it an get it hot after a day of working it,,make your dessission then.You'll run it easier an take care of the trans, clutch an motor.You could allways sell the back hoe after you buy that would cut you cost out by some:)
Army Grunt

/ L35 Backhoe
I know , I am afraid , but the price has my attention . I really want a L35 now after reading about it . I know I said I need tractor and loader ONLY , but I NEED a backhoe now . I have thought of so many jobs I could do with a L35 . Older used units are going for same price or more . They could be old rentals too, you just never know buying something used . I know guys that bought rental fleets , and sold them as used tractors all the time . They never told new owner that it was a rental . I can not afford a NICE clean low hr , L35 :(, so I guess the best bet is just rent it , and then buy it or take it back . Its $260.00 for 8 hrs , I think thats fair Sat 7am until Mon 9 am . I just might hire the local Kubota mechanic to come take a look at it , when I get it to my place . I read how to test the hydroulics, look at the pins, check the fittings , check all fluids . What do I need to check ? Atleast this is a local tractor , with all the flooding in the world I am afraid to buy ANYTHING used anymore . There was a scam in Ms , the guy was selling flooded out cars that had been restored and not telling anyone :shocked: I guess with anything used you are rolling the dice. That orange paint sure does cost ALOT :confused2:. Thanks for all info :newhere: and need alll the help I can get :confused2::confused2:. I just know I need a KL35 NOW :drool:

I missed a DEAL on a 2002 L48 with 1000 hrs looked new for $18,000 OBO . His buddy said $16-$18 would buy it . I offered $12,000 CASH , he said NO :confused2: so I offered $15,000 he said NO . Then 2 days later it sold for $17,000 with extra front end to make fork lift also . It looked NEW in pics , I never saw it in person . You just never know unless you buy NEW . Thanks again for ALL help . I need a backhoe to do some cleaning up , so worse case is , I lease it and get alll my work done for $260.00 , then take it back . I might just have to sit back and wait for a deal . I do have a 4x2 Ford 3000 to get me by for a few months .

/ L35 Backhoe #7  
Is the rental yard going to replace it?

To me, this is a fundamental question. If they are selling because they don't want to rent backhoes any longer, it might be OK. If they are selling to replace it with another one, then they feel it is worn out and repairs are going to start costing more than they can recoup from rental fees.

I don't think you are ever going to get a screaming deal on any piece of used equipment from a rental yard. These guys buy and sell equipment all the time. You and I might buy or sell equipment once every few years.

Wait for a better deal.

Keep your powder dry and sooner or later another deal like that L48 will come up.

/ L35 Backhoe #8  
With all the used equipment out there for sale, I'd most likely not purchase a rental unit.

There are a bunch of people in tough times and trying to lighten load.

joel

/ L35 Backhoe #9  
I own an ex rental B21. It has served me well for a little over 250 hours. I cant see how the renters would have beat on it any more than I have. I had to replace the stop solenoid which was pretty expensive ($150?) otherwise my costs have been limited to oil and filters. It has probably cost me $2 an hour to run so far.

/ L35 Backhoe
Still looking for a better deal , but I am going to atleast rent it . I do need to do some work with a backhoe , so why not try it . The 2000 L35 is a older unit , the owner SOLD his company and the new owners bought all new stuff. He has all kinds of ex rental stuff for sale . I still think $14,000 is not bad , but I might offer $12,000 if I really like it .

Just having a hard time finding a 30 plus hp tractor for $14,000 with loader and 4x4 ( withOUT backhoe ) . The best deal on a L35 so far 1990s models are $15,000-$18,000 . So I keep looking at the 2000 L35 rental unit for $14,000 . If yall see a deal on a L48. L45 or L35 please post a link . Thanks !!!!

Last edited: