Leak in slate roof, use JD4310/430 + to access

/ Leak in slate roof, use JD4310/430 + to access #31  
try this link EASYLIFT Tracked Access Platforms | Tracked Access Platform

don't know of availability in your area ...note, tracked and towables

joel,

That is a cool gadget.

Yes that is a premium lift. Very expensive, I've never seen them for rent, only one tree company around here has one. The one this guy has will fit thru a 30" gate! I've been thinking someday when I can't climb ladders anymore, I may invest in one so I can keep working.

Most of the rental companies have tow behinds for like you said a couple hundred a day, in 35 and 50 footers. i pulled mine around with a 3pt receiver hitch on my tractor, much more maneuverable than with a truck.

I respect your cautious approach, but I think you are being over protective. there's no way the roof can be that delicate as to worry about the pressure points a sheet of plywood would excert. If it were that susceptible, it would not be suitable for protection against the elements. But to try and help further I would say maybe that 1 inch thick Styrofoam board glued to the plywood, it comes in large sheets and should eliminate that pressure point fear.

Matter of fact, it sounds like it's the concentrated pressure you are concerned with, you may just use the foam board, no plywood??

Some pics of tow behind boom lifts, the green one is 35 foot and the orange is 50 foot. Very capable little machines.

JB.

Attachments

• DSC02690.jpg
    DSC02690.jpg
    696.4 KB · Views: 133
  • DSCN5796.JPG
    DSCN5796.JPG
    994.1 KB · Views: 156
  • DSCN5810.JPG
    DSCN5810.JPG
    981.1 KB · Views: 148
  • DSCN5952.JPG
    DSCN5952.JPG
    999 KB · Views: 123
   / Leak in slate roof, use JD4310/430 + to access #32  
:) With the thought of rafts or air mattresses, not knocking those ideas, but How about a gym mat?

JB

/ Leak in slate roof, use JD4310/430 + to access
NC,

I like the mattress idea. The other one, I did not find pricing, but I suspect it is a non-starter.

What I am going to try is to lay down a sheet of foam rubber and put a little ladder I built to get into the water tank on top of that. I want to use the loader bucket to keep the ladder from slopping, but it is very close to not high enough.

I tested the bucket today. What is a reasonable time for the bucket to drop by some amount (n inches) with the engine off and loader in max extension up?

/ Leak in slate roof, use JD4310/430 + to access #35  
Depends on your cylinder seals. Best way to find out is to test - put 200 lbs of stuff in the bucket, raise it, measure it, and come back in an hour.

/ Leak in slate roof, use JD4310/430 + to access #36  
What I am going to try is to lay down a sheet of foam rubber and put a little ladder I built to get into the water tank on top of that. I want to use the loader bucket to keep the ladder from slopping, but it is very close to not high enough.

I tested the bucket today. What is a reasonable time for the bucket to drop by some amount (n inches) with the engine off and loader in max extension up?

Mine drops noticeably in just a few minutes, maybe as much as half an inch in a minute or 2. I know because I use mine with a homemade man lift platform for trimming trees, cleaning gutters etc.
If I stay in one place to long we have to raise the bucket. I do this with 2 people. 1 in the seat and 1 on the platform.
This is with engine off, with engine running it is not as noticeable.

If it's not high enough drive the front tires up onto some wood, blocks, ramps etc. just make sure to ckok the wheels and set the parking brake.

To prevent bucket bleed down, if you're by yourself, you could prop the loader up with a 4x4 for support.

JB.

Attachments

• DSCN2197.JPG
    DSCN2197.JPG
    865.9 KB · Views: 106
   / Leak in slate roof, use JD4310/430 + to access #37  
If there is any chance you may get injured while attempting this, don't ya think its time to call the original installer for advise or service? It is conceivable that the original installer warrants his work and will repair for no charge. In any case, he's crossed this bridge before and could do it safely with the proper equipment. Trust me, a broken leg is worth about $50,000 to your life. Imagine being layed up for six months and have a limp after that for the next forty years, vs paying some expert $500 for a simple repair. Hmmmmmm.

If there is any chance you may get injured while attempting this, don't ya think its time to call the original installer for advise or service? It is conceivable that the original installer warrants his work and will repair for no charge. In any case, he's crossed this bridge before and could do it safely with the proper equipment. Trust me, a broken leg is worth about $50,000 to your life. Imagine being layed up for six months and have a limp after that for the next forty years, vs paying some expert $500 for a simple repair. Hmmmmmm.

I appreciate both the concern and the innate rationality of what you say. Trust me; if I thought there were others with the equipment and skills I would do that. I have a max of 2 more days (including today) before the rain returns.

It was a plumber and/or one of the construction people. They have no expertise with this. I know the construction people were not good about thinking about water flow. It came up a lot. If they did, it would not leak now. It was done while the roof was being installed. They had no special equipment.

On the bright side, I am too old to have 40 years of limping left.

/ Leak in slate roof, use JD4310/430 + to access #39  
On the bright side, I am too old to have 40 years of limping left.

You could always use all those air matresses and padding recomended to create a landing zone :eek:

:) JB.

I have wimped out. I have the foam and ladder on the roof. But I have no positive approach to keep things from sliding. It appears that they won't. If I had a fork lift attachment I could knock together a platform with something to support the lower end of my roof ladder. But the bucket just makes to too complicated.

I have never been all that thrilled about moving about on high things (greater than 4'). Although I have installed antennas on the top of 250' towers on the tops of mountains. A safety harness makes all the difference; mentally and physically.

I called a roofing company (a couple actually) and was not seriously surprised to find it hard to get someone on short notice. It starts raining for at least a week on Saturday. I have explained it is a funny roof construction and that they have in all probability never seen one; and will never see another one. And they will have to pay attention to what I explain to them. Anyway, I am to call one of them back at 0630 tomorrow to see if they can help. None had a cherry picker type device.