Log Splitter Question...

/ Log Splitter Question... #21  
Sound like a plan... Sounds like splitter would be "sort of stationary" because if having to move two units.... Some pictures of finished unit would be good...

/ Log Splitter Question... #23  
The only reason for a strainer on the inlet is to protect the manufacturer from debris left in the system. Once the oil passes through the return filter nothing should be in the tank.

/ Log Splitter Question...
Sound like a plan... Sounds like splitter would be "sort of stationary" because if having to move two units.... Some pictures of finished unit would be good...

Here is a couple of old pics...before and after I added the lift...I park the tractor about 20' to the right in the pics...you can see the hoses...

Attachments

• splitter.jpg
    splitter.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 262

Attachments

• lift.jpg
    lift.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 276

/ Log Splitter Question... #25  
Why not put the filter on the output port of the tank? That way you're sure the oil reaching the pump is clean. That's where the filter is on my 20T wood splitter.
My theory. The filter should be on the return side so it catches all contaminants before they enter the tank. Then you know your pump is always drinking clean oil.

/ Log Splitter Question... #26  
My splitter uses 1 1/4" hose from valve assembly to filter head. Tank has a male 1"
20210315_131727.jpg
threaded nipple welded to the top of the tank.

20210315_131712.jpg

/ Log Splitter Question... #27  
I was under the impression that the return inlet to the tank needed to be below the oil level to keep the oil from foaming. With it coming in at the top of the tank it will free fall thru the air before hitting the oil in the tank.

/ Log Splitter Question... #28  
I was under the impression that the return inlet to the tank needed to be below the oil level to keep the oil from foaming. With it coming in at the top of the tank it will free fall thru the air before hitting the oil in the tank.
Have never had a problem. Might be contingent on the type of oil used?

/ Log Splitter Question... #29  
I understand but the output port of the tank (ie, before entering the pump) is low pressure, no? It's only once it leaves the pump that it becomes pressurized. At least, that's how I understand it.
Correct, it would be low pressure (actually suction or gravity fed) but if clogged it would create a vacuum and collapse the intake hose which generally is very low pressure material not unlike garden hose.
As a result your pump could run dry.
I think the proper solution is for the tank outlet to be higher up the reservoir so as to have a sump to collect any debris .
I gather that most filters are between the return line and tank thus catch most debris B4 damage can be caused. Not 100% but darn close.
Naturally in the perfect world all hoses were flushed B4 installation and all oil was filtered carefully.

In aviation, specs for hoses call for calibrated balls to be run thru each hose as well as pressure tests.

/ Log Splitter Question... #30  
Mine, like thousands of others enters from top of tank....

Dale