More electrical woes

/ More electrical woes #11  
Had similar issue 2 years ago with voltage fluctuation, lights dimming and brightening . Utility found loose neutral at pole. recrimped connection and issue disappeared
A loose connection is obviously a bad thing, but how would it cause voltage to INCREASE?

/ More electrical woes #12  
3 causes I have experienced.

Loose wire in the system ranging from outlet to circuit breaker panel to meter to pole. Bad neutral can cause all kinds of strange.

Damaged underground feeder not located until steam seen coming up from the ground on the forest floor.

Faulty transformer and causing wide fluctuation…

Last edited:
   / More electrical woes #13  
What is UPS ?
Uninterruptible Power Supply.

It contains a battery bank to switch to battery power. Often used with computers or servers to protect from blackouts and brownouts.

There are large and huge commercial/industrial ones, and small consumer grade ones.

A similar device is a Line Conditioner, but without the battery pack.

/ More electrical woes #15  
Because this is a whole house issue, it reduces it to essentially the connection to the main breaker/ground. And something outside with the utility company.
I like the idea that it might be a poor ground connection.

As far as whether that could cause over-voltages, I played around a few years ago with 220V and a floating center ground. It was rather odd, but yes, a load on one side could throw the voltage on the other side wonky.

Now, diagnosing on your end. It will depend a bit if you are comfortable with the main breaker box.

One relatively safe diagnostic you could use would be an IR camera or IR thermometer. When you're running a heavy appliance (for a while), then a shorted connection would likely show up as a hot spot in the box. Primarily concentrating on the big wires at the top, or the bus bars.

A floating ground would show up if you turned off most stuff in the house, then turned on a single 110V high power device (1500W hair dryer?) Checking your breaker box with an electrical tester, then every other breaker would be high or low.

/ More electrical woes #16  
A loose connection is obviously a bad thing, but how would it cause voltage to INCREASE?
Utility said un-balanced load. 1 leg was 110 volt and the other leg was 132 volt . Both legs voltage up and down. Do know when neutral was re-crimped the problem disappeared

/ More electrical woes #17  
I suspect you have a bad neutral and where I live the power company says they are not responsible for open neutral problems.

Caution: What can happen is 180VAC or move volts on one leg and 60VAC on another fluctuating can and will damage everything electrical in your house.
I doubt it is fluctuating that much right now but it will get worse. in time.
If you know how to use a digital meter it is easy to check at the breaker panel.

/ More electrical woes #18  
I suspect you have a bad neutral and where I live the power company says they are not responsible for open neutral problems.
Not responsible for the problem or not responsible for damage done? If it's on their side of the meter, it's absolutely their responsibility to fix.

I agree, it sounds like a flaky neutral somewhere.

/ More electrical woes #19  
Yep, most likely a poor neutral.

/ More electrical woes #20  
A loose neutral will make your house seemed possessed. Personal experience in more of an industrial setting in my Navy Seabee days.