New snow

/ New snow
For a long run of extension cord, 12 ga will carry the load quite well. My battery warmer is only 40 watts.

/ New snow #132  
I could do a little clean up. Plow deposit at the end of the driveway etc. but tractor power wouldn't start yesterday.
I had one of those magnet block heaters plugged in for 8 hrs. It turned better but not fast enough to start.
It's been 30 hrs now and I'm about to give it another try before running some errands.
A battery warmer may be in my future but as I'm running almost 200 ft of extension cord I'm reluctant
to plug a 300w block heater AND a warmer on the one cord. I have no idea if it's a bad idea or not.
Do you have a small generator that you could power the block heater and a battery warmer? Just a thought. Jon

/ New snow #133  
No generator.
Using 2 standard outdoor cords (together-not separate cords) for a total of 185 ft (either that or 200 ft).
A Kat's 300w heater supposedly draws 3amps ("Expert Reply:I spoke to my contact at Kat's and they informed me
that the Kat's Heaters Handi-Heat Magnum Magnetic Heater part # KH1190 draws about 3 amps of current.")

and a Kat's 60w battery blanket draws 2.5amps according to a watt/amp calculator on-line.
A GFCI outlet on the side of my house should handle that.
I guess the worst that could happen is the GFCI breaker trips??

/ New snow #134  
400 watts / 120 volts = 3.333 Amps,
60 watts / 120 volts = 0.5 Amps

You shouldn't have any problems

1643160639339.png

/ New snow
Holy crap Batman. Went to the seniors center for supper in the village, snow blowing across the road pretty good when we left. Cleaned the lane to the highway this afternoon. Coming back at 8:30 pm, drifts made it pretty interesting getting back to the house. By morning the road will be totally blocked about half the distance. Have a good section of bush for part of the way. On the upside, temps will be a tad warmer. Only -15 now, windchill factor -25.

/ New snow
Yup, totally blocked this morning. Wind from the south yesterday, 180 degree turnaround, now from the north gusting to 50 mph. Snow is in a hurry to get back to where it came from yesterday. A lot of it seems to be happy resting on my road to the highway. Two hrs to clear this morning, will be blown in again later today.

/ New snow #137  
Better you then me.
All I've had this winter has been nuisance little 1 1/2 to 3 inch storms.
Have to plow and sand or traffic will make ice.

/ New snow #138  
WHat you got today we are going to get tomorrow . Am in northen ontario it was -38 feel like -46 this morning am happy my tractor and trucks in the garage hope this cold stop soon. They are calling for 2 to 4 cm tonight .

/ New snow
Snow finally stopped moving around. Second time blowing the drive, not blocked but needed to be cleared. Temp is a balmy 0c

/ New snow #140  
400 watts / 120 volts = 3.333 Amps,
60 watts / 120 volts = 0.5 Amps

You shouldn't have any problems

View attachment 730990
Thanks for that. I used a similar calculator.
I am basing the block heater amperage draw on hearsay from an "ask the expert" on a trailer/rv site.
The warmer was input and results from a calculator site like you provided. (maybe I did the calcu on the block heater on that site too. Probably.