Noob question 4 wheel drive

/ Noob question 4 wheel drive #61  
I go back and forth pretty frequently. 2WD when there's no need for 4WD, and especially when maneuvering in tight quarters on flat dry ground. 4WD on pavement, IF I'm going down my driveway hill with a lot of weight in the loader, so the front wheels are coupled to the brakes -- I only had to feel the rears slipping in 2WD one time to adopt this strategy -- but 2WD on pavement otherwise. 4WD generally if there's snow or ice, except when making the very tight turn into and out of the barn.

Another question is whether to leave the brake pedals locked together, or flip the lock open. When I'm working on snow in close quarters I'll have them unlocked and use the brakes to help make tight turns, and I've unlocked them occasionally when I'm coping with a very tight spot between the trees or buildings, but otherwise they're locked together.

I think there's a lot of similarity in the brake locking issue and the 2/4 issue. Sometimes they go hand in hand.

/ Noob question 4 wheel drive #62  
The four wheel drive was put on these tractors for a purpose: to use. The two wheel drive is an afterthought for paved surfaces.

/ Noob question 4 wheel drive #63  
Funny how we managed farming for years without a 4WD tractor and now it's needed/used all the time.

As for the 4WD braking issue which I know nothing about other than how my tractor works, I would think if a tractor is in 4WD and the brakes are depressed they would almost have to affect the front wheels along with the rears. I know nothing about how other tractors operate but when my 5090 is in 4WD both front wheels spin if I'm bogging.

/ Noob question 4 wheel drive #64  
I don't think there are too many hard-and-fast rules to this. Obviously you don't want 4WD when you're out on the highway, if you ever do that. You don't want to go at higher speeds in FWD. Don't make sudden turns ever, in either 2WD or 4WD. Tractors are a lot more forgiving of heavy FWD use than, say, a pickup truck. Just use the heck out of as needed, and don't worry. But . . . be aware that you are in FWD when you are.
I never unlock my brake pedals. I've considered wiring them together so they don't accidentally get unlocked.

/ Noob question 4 wheel drive #65  
Funny how we managed farming for years without a 4WD tractor and now it's needed/used all the time.

As for the 4WD braking issue which I know nothing about other than how my tractor works, I would think if a tractor is in 4WD and the brakes are depressed they would almost have to affect the front wheels along with the rears. I know nothing about how other tractors operate but when my 5090 is in 4WD both front wheels spin if I'm bogging.
You can compensate for not having 4WD by adding wheel weights, filling tires, or just having a very heavy big tractor. Many ag tractors have done those things. Today's compact tractors really benefit from 4WD.

/ Noob question 4 wheel drive #66  
My types and sizes of tractors and what I’ve do with them has changed with the decades. Mostly maintaining my hilly piece of mountain paradise now. Often loader work picking up trees, grading, digging and mowing the tractors stay in 4wd both for traction and braking safety. Rarely see flat hard ground. There are a few times being able to select 2wd is helpful.

/ Noob question 4 wheel drive #67  
Think about it. The same thing that causes a 4x4 drivetrain to bind up if you make a turn on dry pavement is what gives you braking on both front and back: the F and R axles are linked through the drivetrain in 4x4 mode. There must be dozens if not hundreds of stories here on TBN from those who learned this first hand from their own "2wd joyride" on a wet hillside.

/ Noob question 4 wheel drive #68  
Yup. It’s pretty simple, really. 4wd when u need it, 2wd when you don’t. And always go downhill in 4wd.

I am always shifting back and forth throughout the day.

/ Noob question 4 wheel drive #69  
I go back and forth pretty frequently. 2WD when there's no need for 4WD, and especially when maneuvering in tight quarters on flat dry ground. 4WD on pavement, IF I'm going down my driveway hill with a lot of weight in the loader, so the front wheels are coupled to the brakes -- I only had to feel the rears slipping in 2WD one time to adopt this strategy -- but 2WD on pavement otherwise. 4WD generally if there's snow or ice, except when making the very tight turn into and out of the barn.

Another question is whether to leave the brake pedals locked together, or flip the lock open. When I'm working on snow in close quarters I'll have them unlocked and use the brakes to help make tight turns, and I've unlocked them occasionally when I'm coping with a very tight spot between the trees or buildings, but otherwise they're locked together.

I think there's a lot of similarity in the brake locking issue and the 2/4 issue. Sometimes they go hand in hand.

You answered your own question quite well. I generally leave mine locked together. If you unlock them and forget, then make a panic stop and only slam one brake pedal, the results can be disastrous.
Learning to be a tractor operator rather than a tractor driver, is important for your safety.