Post Driver for SA324/424

/ Post Driver for SA324/424 #1  

Lunchbag

Tractor
Yanmar SA324
Has anyone used a post driver (three-point mounted) on a SA324 or SA424? If so, which model did you use, and did it work? Thanks, I'm looking to put in many wooden fence posts around 5-6" diameter.

/ Post Driver for SA324/424 #2  
I'll be interested in seeing what others respond with.

My opinion in based on my experiences with my Worksaver post driver, model HPD-20, 3ph mount. (Not the smallest unit available.)

I have used mine on a Kubota L5030 and a high arch MF165. Majority of my usage has been on the L5030. I also have an SA424 with rear remotes, but I wouldn't consider even trying to mount my post driver on that unit.

I have a number of concerns regarding a 3ph post driver on an SA tractor.
1) The Yanmar is a limited category 1 three point hitch. If you can attach a post driver to the 3ph in the "at rest position", I dont think you would have any ground clearance when Yanmar 3ph is at max lift.

2) The reaction force when the driver is setting posts is in my opinion significant. I would have serious concerns about the Yanmar having enough structure to absorb the shocks and not suffer a casting fracture or other component failure. (My experience driving posts is in clay soils, tough going. However there is always going to be feedback shockwave with each driver drop.)

3) Yanmar hydraulic system flow capacity is 4gpm.
The Worksaver driver I have lists 6-8gpm as the recommended flow rate in the specs. The L5030 has a spec of approximately 10gpm under ideal circumstances for the hydraulic remote flow rate, and it works. I feel it is a little sluggish on the upstroke but spec requirement is met.

It was not my intent to shoot down OPs idea.
I just wanted to share my thoughts based on what I personally have experience with.

If there is a viable implement out there for these size units I would be interested in knowing about it.

/ Post Driver for SA324/424
Thanks, I think those are all the right concerns. I see the Shaver HD-8 model requires only 3-4 gpm so it meets that spec. As far as the lift height, I'm not sure. A photo of the HD-8 makes me think it might be designed for low clearance, but I probably need to get the dimensions to see how many inches I would have to work with.

As for the reaction force, that's my biggest concern because it will be hard to know for sure...until it breaks. I'll discuss it with Shaver to see if any customers are using it on subcompacts or small compacts. But even if they say it is okay, it's hard to know what the effect of those impact forces will be after hundreds of strokes. The ground is pretty sandy, which may help.

Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 5.43.20 PM.png

Well, I took the plunge and bought the HD-8 post driver. I'll post some additional info here for anyone else who may be considering this. The plot spoiler is, it works and I feel pretty good about it so far. I just drove my first three posts yesterday so it is too early for a verdict, but I think this could really accelerate my fence building. More to come...

I did a little research before I bought the post driver. I called Shaver and talked to (Adam?) about the limited category 1 concern. He gave me a measurement to verify on my three point hitch, and this made me feel pretty confident that I would have enough clearance.

I also spoke to an experienced mechanic at my local Yanmar dealer about using a post driver on the SA324, and he thought it was reasonable to try a smaller-sized modern post driver with the tractor. He seemed to understand exactly what the concerns were regarding the hydraulic system...the requirements on the supply and return side. And he thought it might not destroy the tractor!

So, I decided to go for it. I couldn't find any used models in good condition. I found the best deal on a new HD-8 at (Temporarily blocked due to reports of company closure) in NC. It was just over $3.9k shipped to my house in MD. I thought I was going to need the tractor and pallet forks to get it off the truck, but while I was going for the tractor, the delivery guy maneuvered it onto the lift gate and lowered it to the ground.

The main assembly is long and heavy, and comes on a double size pallet. The paint was badly scraped in places. I signed for it, even though I had no way of knowing I had all the parts. I took pictures of everything. Then I maneuvered the long heavy red piece on the pallet and used the tractor to move it into the garage until I had time to assemble it. Here are some photos from the delivery day. In my next post, I'll talk about putting it together.

PXL_20220425_164206086.jpg

PXL_20220425_164221241.jpg

PXL_20220425_164230995.jpg

PXL_20220425_164248247.jpg

PXL_20220425_164317715.jpg

/ Post Driver for SA324/424 #6  
Nice! They do an amazing job.... I wish I could afford to buy one!

Assembly of the HD-8 took a little time and care. I bolted the base plate to the three-pt hitch mount in my garage. I couldn't do much more in the garage, or it would be too tall to drive out the garage door. I recommend thinking about where you're going to store it before you buy, and make sure you have enough height. I think I measured it at 96". The manual states 88" but this is incorrect. The manual has a lot of outdated info.

I used the tractor and forks to carry the main carriage and ram assembly on the pallet to the tractor shed. Then I swiveled it so I could lift it up high and strap the top to a beam. This allowed me to safely position the main carriage upright for attachment to the section already on the tractor hitch. It wasn't too hard to attach, and I was able to do it alone.

There are two large pins that attach the tilting assembly to the main carriage. You can choose between upper and lower attachment points on the main carriage. The lower ones are apparently for driving 10 ft posts, or for attaching to the front of a small tractor. The upper points worked great for me. I have at least a foot of ground clearance with the 3-pt all the way up. And I can lower it to just fit under the overhang of my shed. I couldn't have asked for a better fit...what a relief!

In the next post, I'll talk about the hydraulics.

PXL_20220702_205431519.jpg

PXL_20220702_210822156.jpg

PXL_20220702_211855236.jpg

PXL_20220702_214006238.jpg

/ Post Driver for SA324/424 #8  
Assembly of the HD-8 took a little time and care. I bolted the base plate to the three-pt hitch mount in my garage. I couldn't do much more in the garage, or it would be too tall to drive out the garage door. I recommend thinking about where you're going to store it before you buy, and make sure you have enough height. I think I measured it at 96". The manual states 88" but this is incorrect. The manual has a lot of outdated info.

I used the tractor and forks to carry the main carriage and ram assembly on the pallet to the tractor shed. Then I swiveled it so I could lift it up high and strap the top to a beam. This allowed me to safely position the main carriage upright for attachment to the section already on the tractor hitch. It wasn't too hard to attach, and I was able to do it alone.

There are two large pins that attach the tilting assembly to the main carriage. You can choose between upper and lower attachment points on the main carriage. The lower ones are apparently for driving 10 ft posts, or for attaching to the front of a small tractor. The upper points worked great for me. I have at least a foot of ground clearance with the 3-pt all the way up. And I can lower it to just fit under the overhang of my shed. I couldn't have asked for a better fit...what a relief!

View attachment 756787

View attachment 756788

View attachment 756790

View attachment 756791
I am quite interested in how this works out for you.

I am quite interested in how this works out for you.
Yes, after I finish a couple more posts about setting it up and operating it, I'll try to return to this thread in a few days or weeks after I get more actual use from it. It will take some time to be able to judge it fairly.

/ Post Driver for SA324/424 #10  

View attachment 756787

View attachment 756788

View attachment 756790

View attachment 756791
Far as I'm concerned paint is inconsequential. What rattle cans are for last time I checked.