Pup trailers

/ Pup trailers #72  
Not with a rig anything similar to that. Back a 4 wheel wagon with a tractor, you bet. Back that? I'll wait for your video doing it.
Heres an Australian guy backing a semi on a dolly behind his semi, straight in front of the loading ramp. Thats even harder:

/ Pup trailers #73  
View attachment 730659
A three axle with a lockable tandem dolly pole for the PNW this company and General are what’s considered the standard for these types of trailers. With the three axle with the dolly up front it allows them to haul longer lengths without having to use a steer axle trailer.
You dont see that setup on this side of the pond... they would rather use a three axle with one self steering axle instead, self steering (and locking by reverse light signal) axles are very common here.

I get you now, about this turntable lock. They arent real turntable or slew trailers as we have here, whose axles can rotate over 90 degrees each way, but they are so short that they allow a limited steering angle each way, and are only meant to provide a form of self steering.

Last edited:
   / Pup trailers #74  
You dont see that setup on this side of the pond... they would rather use a three axle with one self steering axle instead, self steering (and locking by reverse light signal) axles are very common here.

I get you now, about this turntable lock. They arent real turntable or slew trailers as we have here, whose axles can rotate over 90 degrees each way, but they are so short that they allow a limited steering angle each way, and are only meant to provide a form of self steering.

We also have that style here but instead of locking out they will lift with the reverse lights, the ones with the dolly are fine if you’re doing long logs that can bunk. Now some of us put frame inserts in the bunks that allow us to haul short logs and if you’re running a 3 axle trailer you’ll have a lift axle so you can back up otherwise you’ll bend something.

/ Pup trailers #75  
I never saw that driver use reverse once. Oh wait, he knows he can't back that trailer setup. Well,,, I might have overstated. He can back it short distances, very short. And he can back it in a relatively straight path. He has no chance of being able to turn it around in that situation by backing it into the entrance where the camera was sitting. No chance.
No chance? LOL That one shouldn't be all that hard to back with some practice. I drove a Kenworth with a set of double trailers, actually a 1 axle semi trailer with a 2 axle wagon with a 10 foot reach between the trailers. I could back them a little, 40 ft back, pull up 20, back 40, pull 20, etc. A previous driver could routinely back those trailers just about anywhere. I was a a place on Aurora in Seattle and was asked to back my trailers down into the company yard, I said "You're joking, right?" They said no joke, Bruce did it all the time. I didn't even try, but I heard stories about his backing ability from several different sources.

/ Pup trailers #76  
You have over the road semi trucks with 5th wheels on the front??? :unsure:
Why would you want that ?
No, trucks with a 40mm clevis on the front, for regular turntable trailers. Circuses and fairground people put their stuff in place in the town center when they come over for the summer fest.

/ Pup trailers #77  
We also have that style here but instead of locking out they will lift with the reverse lights, the ones with the dolly are fine if you’re doing long logs that can bunk. Now some of us put frame inserts in the bunks that allow us to haul short logs and if you’re running a 3 axle trailer you’ll have a lift axle so you can back up otherwise you’ll bend something.
Yes ive seen dumptrucks in Ontario keeping their blinkers on. When i remarked that, my cousin said "the next corner is right after, so he doesnt want his tag axles to drop yet"

I was intrigued that a whole regiment of tag axles was required to meet requirements of the road authorities, yet none of them was steered, meaning that the axle load on the fixed tandem was greatest when it was turning...

Then on the other hand, we here in The Netherlands are pretty unique in Europe, with a max GVW of 50 ton and 11.5 ton permitted on any axle that is driven, and more than 1.8m spaced from the next axle, which leads to vehicle configurations especially in construction, that are unique in Europe:

In other European countries you tend to se more semitrailer tippers, and 6x6 or 8x8 with pup cart combos...

Last edited:
   / Pup trailers #78  

Our 4 axle pups had those, usually just one. First dump truck and pup I ever drove had a self steering axel on the front and back and had a dog that dropped into a notch to lock them for backing. Unfortunately when they locked, one would lock a few degrees off in one direction, the other would lock a few degrees off in the other direction. It made the trailer want to crab walk a little when backing. Not a problem when I wad stockpiling the concrete batch plant, no real precision was needed. But when I needed to back under an excavator it took a little more concentration to keep the trailer out of the hole while getting the truck lined up under his bucket.

/ Pup trailers #79  
No chance? LOL That one shouldn't be all that hard to back with some practice. I drove a Kenworth with a set of double trailers, actually a 1 axle semi trailer with a 2 axle wagon with a 10 foot reach between the trailers. I could back them a little, 40 ft back, pull up 20, back 40, pull 20, etc. A previous driver could routinely back those trailers just about anywhere. I was a a place on Aurora in Seattle and was asked to back my trailers down into the company yard, I said "You're joking, right?" They said no joke, Bruce did it all the time. I didn't even try, but I heard stories about his backing ability from several different sources.
Thats what i mean. A lot of skill comes from necessity. I know a guy who hauled a digger into an old inner city (built in the horsecart era, so narrow) who was applauded by an audience from a pub patio who watched him back out of a dead end.

/ Pup trailers #80  
Thats what i mean. A lot of skill comes from necessity. I know a guy who hauled a digger into an old inner city (built in the horsecart era, so narrow) who was applauded by an audience from a pub patio who watched him back out of a dead end.
The one I was describing was a 90 degree blind side back off a busy main thoroughfare in north Seattle. The one redeeming quality was it was down hill.