Removing small dead trees - best way to pull

/ Removing small dead trees - best way to pull #31  
Wait until the ground is soft. Sometimes dig down all around the tree.

Or cut them off flush and leave it at that.

/ Removing small dead trees - best way to pull #32  
Obviously I’d always like to push away so the tree doesn’t fall towards me but I believe I get more power with my L3200 by pulling but not sure if pulling from the back or front is best.

I am not familiar with the tree you are dealing with but pushing a dead tree can be very dangerous if it breaks... if it break at the pushing contact the top end will fall on the apposite direction towards you

/ Removing small dead trees - best way to pull #33  
Due to the Louisiana drought this year (still happening), I’ve lost maybe 50 Leyland Cypress trees about 25 years old. I also lost a couple magnolias we planted at the same time which are clearly not coming back.

I’ve pulled the cypress before because after a year of being dead their roots are really weak so this will be my spring task.

The question is what gives me the most pulling power - is it best to pull backwards from the bucket end with a chain, or pull from the back end with a chain on the box blade?

With the box blade I can sometimes push on the tree to lean it one way, then use the chain to pull it out from the stump behind me.

Obviously I’d always like to push away so the tree doesn’t fall towards me but I believe I get more power with my L3200 by pulling but not sure if pulling from the back or front is best.
I learned the hard way that pulling trees can be very dangerous! I was pulling a roughly 7 inch maple with my 9N. I hooked a 20' chain about 18 inches from the base and hooked it to the draw bar. When I looked back, I saw the tree falling toward me and I literally "dove" between the branches which crashed down between the fenders. A few scratches and a life lesson. I also ran a loader and bulldozer clearing a ski area. We simply pushed the trees over with the blade or bucket, let the weight of the tree pull out the stump and then cleaned up with the blade. Cut the tree after you get it out of the dirt.
Rustic Woodcrafter

/ Removing small dead trees - best way to pull #34  
I leave the stump around 1~2’ high & use the draw bar & chain around stump and while applying up pressure I’ll then slowly rock the tractor back&forth bumping it with the hitch which usually works if tree isn’t too big.
I have a 1720 Ford CUT which has it limits.
90cummins

/ Removing small dead trees - best way to pull #35  
and... years ago I was standing a far piece from where a "not small" stump/tree was being pulled up. The chain broke and flew my direction landing less than 10 ft from me.
This drought is terrible and I feel with you. Our drought reducer will come tomorrow hopefully. 15 inches below normal this summer here in c Miss so far. Dead trees and dry ponds are sadly common .

/ Removing small dead trees - best way to pull #36  
Seems like a box blade mounted on the three point ought to be plenty strong enough, maybe not as strong as the draw bar, but if it's getting down to peak limits of tensile strength, the stump's too big anyway.

AND, it seems a whole lot safer to do a big pull with the box in place to stop the tractor from flipping over backwards. I'd rather risk damaging my box blade than risk rushing my own funeral.

/ Removing small dead trees - best way to pull #37  
Actually, after reading this I will probably just avoid bolt-on or welded hooks altogether, yank these first with the drawbar, then remount the box blade for pushing. This may also help me make it to my next birthday.

I have bent the frame of my box blade by pushing a too big tree trunk. Box blade is designed to pull / push with the bottom edge, NOT the top which was where that big round was touching since I wanted it to roll not skid.

/ Removing small dead trees - best way to pull #38  
Most bang for the buck.
Titan Attachments FEL Tree Puller

Unless you are just in it for the exercise, if you do not have a helper this will allow you to do everything from the seat. Push, pull, pry, lift, dig and then carry it to the burn pile.

Snatch up little stuff too small to put a chain around. Dig out roots on big stuff too big for a chain. Reach in between trees you like to grab the trees that offend. Reach under or over a fence for brush in the fence line. Grab onto fallen logs and drag them backwards. Prune limbs off trees you keep. Pull out grapevines.

It is fun to use and far cheaper than a root grapple or backhoe.

At a thousand dollars it ain't cheap, but once you are done cleaning up your place, others in your neck of the woods probably have the same problem and it should not be difficult to sell it or hire out.

Now you do need to plumb it up to the power beyond to close and open the jaws. But we also have a root grapple and use that function on the FEL anyway. And even though we have a root grapple I am not selling the tree puller. I would like to sell my backhoe, though.

There are a lot of youtube videos to see a tree puller in action.

Good luck with your project. Take it easy and be safe.

/ Removing small dead trees - best way to pull #39  
I wet the ground around the tree, even live trees, put the tractor in 4wd and low gear and push the tree over.. i can push over 8-10 inch trees with my Kubota L4330 I have the bucket about 5ft off the ground, maybe a little less, it gives good leverage on the root system.. and out it all comes.. Now mind you, my bucket is very heavy duty bucket.. this tractor came with a frame attached backhoe and i am guessing at least 7guage steel on the bucket, maybe even thicker.. I have a thinner buck that I would not try with..

/ Removing small dead trees - best way to pull #40  
The reason I asked the question is a I see a lot small tractors with grab hooks on the FEL, either bolt-on or welded. Is it just good marketing spin from the seller or is it really a legit way of pulling? I know shoving into it isn't the way as I just popped the seals on my FEL boom cylinders from doing something stupid causing them both to leak.

The drawbar is probably the only way I haven't tried in 25 years. But it's probably because I use the box blade right away to push away whatever I yank out and that is in the way of the drawbar. I don't really want to leave stumps by just cutting the dead trees so yanking them is my best option. (I wish I had a backhoe but my L3200 is the most powerful tractor I have for this task).

As rigid as a box blade is I could probably weld a hook near the center between the middle tines. That would put me at drawbar height though the chain would go over the top of the blade to the rear for CG balance. I'm on level ground for this and will use a low-and-slow gear so I don't think I'll have to worry about tipping over.

Would I get the most leverage from lifting up and away? Or with my chain wrapped on the base close to the ground?
Nothing wrong with hooks on FEL bucket as long as you use them for lifting within its lift range , I have put them on every tractor I have owned but I would never pull on trees with them but they are pretty handy for other uses and even light pulling . I also put one on both sides of the bucket so I can rig the chain to the center of the bucket so it balances the pull .