String-trimmer: 2 stroke vs 4stroke

/ String-trimmer: 2 stroke vs 4stroke #21  
I have 2-stroke and 4-stroke trimmer/brushers.

Unit #1 is a 10 year old Husky 225R 2stroke. It has the big handle bars, and works with a full shoulder harness. It uses standard mixed 2-stroke.

Unit #2 is a 2 year old Stihl FS83-T split shaft 2stroke. I have a string trimmer, edger, hedger, pole saw, and mini-tiller for it. It uses standard mixed 2-stroke.

Unit #3 is a month old Honda HHT31S 4stroke. It has the big handle bars, and works with a full shoulder harness. It uses unmixed gas. The engine has oil in the crankcase.

In all cases, I use fresh premium fuel, and Husky 2-stroke oil for the 2-strokers. I only mix a gallon at a time, so I use it quickly.

I use the Husky and Honda for bulk weedeating, and occasionally with a saw blade for brush. Both work very well for this, especially with the handle bars and full shoulder harnesses. Once they are hung on the harness, you can go for hours comfortably. We're on 5 acres,, plus we hire out for weedeating. I would not be without this style setup.

I use the Stihl for various tasks, although primarily for a detail trimmer(the units with the big handlebars don't edge ect very well, hard to flip them on thier side).

The 25cc Husky and 31cc Honda are about on par. The Honda is a bigger motor, and by the book does make a little more power(1.1hp/1.1kW vs 0.9kW for the Husky, which specs only kW not hp). In the grass, the Honda seems a bit more powerful. They both work really well though.

I bought the Honda to replace the Husky as my main unit. The Husky, after 10 years of use, finally had to have a new carb. Otherwise, it has worked perfectly. I got the Honda while the Husky was in the shop getting tune and carb.

I have about 20 hours on the Honda so far. It runs smooth as silk. It is quiet. It starts immediately, cold or warm. It goes forever on gas too. I'm usually ready for a break before it is... Seems like I get to 45 minutes or so running full throttle in moderate to thick grass/weeds.

The only thing I do not like about the Honda is the shoulder harness. It seems to be made for someone about 5'2"' and 120lbs. I'm 6'2" and 200lbs. It fits too small around the collar, and the rest of the straps are short for me. I use my Husky harness... It is made for 6'6" tall Swede's /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The Stihl just plain cranks! It runs really well, although it does not start as easily as the Honda or old Husky. The carb had to be replaced at 1-1/2 years too; wore out... The carb was about $150, since it had to meet Calif CARB-II reqs. The Husky carb for pre-CARB requirements, was only $50...

I like the 4-stroke. It is quiet, clean, and runs smooth. As I upgrade equipment in the future, I will look at 4-strokes first. I do like the Honda setup; I'm not so keen on the 4-strokes that use mix gas. I understand the concept, but don't like the application...

fyi, I use a chainsaw for big brush. I use the blade on the Husky or Honda to brush cut up to 2" stuff.

/ String-trimmer: 2 stroke vs 4stroke #22  
I have a Stihl FS86 that I bought in 1987 and have used countless hours, the only repair other than general maintenance items is the worm and pinion in the head that I replaced for $50.00 several years ago.

She has been stellar in performance in My opinion. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ String-trimmer: 2 stroke vs 4stroke #23  
What provision do the non-mix 4-strokes have to ensure lube during use? Flipping a trimmer or chainsaw around at strange angles scares me with a 'normal' sump.

/ String-trimmer: 2 stroke vs 4stroke #24  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Please correct me if I'm wrong ,but, <font color="red"> I don't think husquvarna is made by MTD</font> . It is Swed. made just like the chainsaws /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif sweden )</font>

<font color="red"> But Husky is isn't it? </font>

/ String-trimmer: 2 stroke vs 4stroke #25  
Husky is short for husqvarna /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ String-trimmer: 2 stroke vs 4stroke #26  
Timb, good question.I have no idea . Maybe someone that has 1 can answer that . I have a friend that said he has some sort of new 4 stroke called 4-mix. He says it is a 4- stroke ,but you still have to mix oil with the gas. Ya know, the 2 stroke engines will operate in all positions, Will a 4- stroke?

/ String-trimmer: 2 stroke vs 4stroke #27  
Uh, pardon the ignorance, but if you still have to mix the gas for a 4 cycle, why have one??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I'd just go with a 2 cycle and have more power with less moving parts. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ String-trimmer: 2 stroke vs 4stroke #28  
The power band is nice. It is quiet. They also meet CARB-II standards. We have the strictest smog laws out here that I know of. I do not know why it makes a difference. But, 2-strokes are getting tougher to get past smog rules.

For sound, my Honda sounds like one of those '70's Honda Trail-50 motor bikes.

/ String-trimmer: 2 stroke vs 4stroke #29  
I just looked through my manual; it does not give a description of the oil system. I have no idea how it works, maybe some type of slinging action?...

These Honda's have been out for 5 years that I know of. They run well in any position. Mine runs at normal position of course, but also on it's side. A friend has an older "standard" type trimmer and uses it just like a 2-stroke. It is 5 years old, and works great.

/ String-trimmer: 2 stroke vs 4stroke #30  
I'm new to this. This is my first trimmer.

I just purchased the Troy Built 4-cycle trimmer with a couple attachments including the pole saw (chain-saw type of thing).

Followed all the instructions, etc. It started up, ran great for about 1 hr 30 mins and then lost power. It suddenly idles fine but when I pull the trigger, it bogs and stalls after a couple seconds.

After letting it sit for 1/2 hour, it started and ran fine again for about 20 mins. Then the same thing happened.

I took out the plug and it looks good and is dry. I cleaned what little there was on it and tried it again and it would start but would not rev for the rest of the day.

Any ideas?

PS - The chain saw attachment works great. In the first hour I cleared a bunch of small trees with it with little effort. Seems like a good system but I wish I could find out what's wrong with the engine.

Thanks!