String-trimmer: 2 stroke vs 4stroke

/ String-trimmer: 2 stroke vs 4stroke #1  

dukenyc

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 4100
I have decided to go the cheapie route and not buy the $850 stihl brushcutter. I am going to give one of the combi systems a try. This will let me use the pole saw attachment for the largest brush and the trimmer for the small stuff.

I have a choice between a 26cc 4 stroke or a 31cc 2 stroke. I would think the 2 stroke woulod be more powerful, but I was told at the store that the torque in the little 4 stroke is superior.

Any thoughts?

/ String-trimmer: 2 stroke vs 4stroke #2  
I would like to hear a comparison of the 2 stroke vs the 4 also.
I have never had the chance to hear from someone who has used both.

/ String-trimmer: 2 stroke vs 4stroke #3  
I have both a 4-stroke Roybi and a 2-stroke Husquvarna weed wacker.

Hands down the Husky 2 Stoke is way better than the 4-stroke. Instant starts, no vibration, more power, very smooth.

The four stroke is difficult to operate due to more weight, way more vibrations, poor throttle response, and less power.

No comparison..... 2 stroke is way better than 4 stroke for hand held weekeaters.

/ String-trimmer: 2 stroke vs 4stroke #4  
have never operated a 4 stroke weed wacker, seems like all the 2 strokes i have owned worked fine, will be interesting to see any responces from folks that have used 4 stroke machines.

/ String-trimmer: 2 stroke vs 4stroke #5  
good evening,
i recently bought the 4 stroke Troy Built weedeater and i love it. First, NO< NO< mixing of oil and gas (couldn't ever get it right years ago) /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. Second, the weight is not that big of a difference( maybe a pound) /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. Third, very cheap to run /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.
This morning i worked about an hour and half trimming around the house and schrubs and trees and a couple of culverts on my road and the mail box, still have gas in the tank /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. However, i'm missing a small azalea bush by one of the trees /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif don't know what happened /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
So, for me the 4 stroke was a good decision($189 at lowes)
good luck with whatever you chose!!!!

regards,
bluebonnet2
P.S. this unit also has attachments available /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.and it has a new way to load the string, you don't have to take everything apart to load up(however it took me a few times to get it right) /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ String-trimmer: 2 stroke vs 4stroke #6  
When the dealer told me you still have to mix the gas and oil. i said whats the point. unproven 4 stroke[ i see some you don't have to mix oil and gas. until the injector pump goes out and you burn up the motor] and like two stroke and four stroke motorcycles twice the displacement to get the same power=heaver. i will buy two strokes weed eaters and chain saws until the enviros wont let them sell them anymore.

/ String-trimmer: 2 stroke vs 4stroke #7  
I just picked up a reconditioned Yard Machines 4 stroke unit from Harbor Freight a few weeks ago for $79 and purchased a 2 year replacement warrenty for 20 bucks more. It is labled as a Yard Machines brand but it is identical to the Troybuilts sold at Lowes. In fact the label by the quick connect for the attachments says Troybuilt. I wanted a tiller accessory so I picked that up at Lowes. So far I am impressed with the ease of starting, no choke, just press the bulb on the carb a few times and it starts on the first pull and idles smooth with no stumbling or hesitation. The power and response is great, better than any two stroke units I have ever used. I promptly cleaned up my 10 year old Husqvarna unit and sold it at a yard sale. The tiller is really slick too I'm usually only giving it half throttle with either attachment so the 26cc displacement is plenty of power. The only modification I made was to relocate the cross handle lower on the shaft for better balance and control. It would be hard to sway me back to two stoke anything if I had the choice. So now the test is long term durability, I've got two years to blow it up if I can! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Steve

/ String-trimmer: 2 stroke vs 4stroke #8  
I've got a Ryobi 4-stroke that I've had since '96 or '97 - man time flies. But anyways. I've never had any problems with it. It runs a long time on a tank of gas - and it has a small tank to. It is a little heavy, but not that bad. Now it doesn't compare to my Weedeater Featherweight, but my Accord doesn't weigh as much as my Silverado either. Same concept - meant for different purposes. I've never used a Stihl or any of the other "high-end" cutters, but compared to the Craftsman and such 2 cycle that are roughly the same size. There is no comparison. The 4 stroke starts easier, more power, and you don't fume for bugs at the same time. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I usually change the oil in mine about once a year. I have the saw blade, tree pruner, vacuum/blower combo, cultivator, snow blower, hedge trimmer, and tree timmer (sawzall type blade - they didn't have the chainsaw type when I got it). All have worked well. The snow blower works great for the deck and side walk where I can't get the tractor. The little cultivator works great to in the flower gardens. I actually like it better than the Mantis that I used.

I'm real happy with my 4 cycle weedeater. I try to buy everything I can in 4 cycle.

/ String-trimmer: 2 stroke vs 4stroke #9  
When I went to purchase my trimmers I asked the pros, the people that cut grass for living. I own 1 maruyma & 1 husqvarna,both have solid steel shafts (not flex cable) from motor to the head, both are 2 cycle.

/ String-trimmer: 2 stroke vs 4stroke #10  
I bought a 4stroke Ryobi with the split shaft back in the 90's, mainly so I could carry it easier in the back of the Jeep or on the quad. I got the tiller as well( so I could justify the purchase with my wife). The first year the trigger broke, no sweat, called Ryobi and got a new one. The next year the split shaft packed up, the local small engine shop finally found one (big bucks) Then the trigger when again(it was exposed and fragile) but Ryobi (Canada) no longer handled the parts so it was back to the shop. During this time the engine became more and more unreliable (it always did seem underpowered)until I just started borrowing my buddies Stihl. Now I see that Troy is selling the same unit in 2cyle. I will have one by summer, use the chain saw/outboard/Mantis/lawnmower gas for everything. I just want to buy the unit with a tool head that I don't already have and our local Can Tire store only sells the string trimmer combo.Pat