Subsoiler recommendation

/ Subsoiler recommendation #11  
I used EA's subsoiler to trench 150' in the root infested woods :) A couple of large ones stopped me but one or two more passes ripped them apart.
Here is what it looked like just after assembly. Comes with a shear bolt.

assembled.jpg

/ Subsoiler recommendation #13  
I have the TSC subsoiler and run a 50hp tractor. That model has no shear bolt so you must either make sure your implement/tractor combo is in line or go slow. Not sure how much land you are working but it is a single shank. Depending on how much area needs to be covered a field cultivator as Jeff mentioned above also works but has the safety of the springs to trip if you hit something really hard. It will pull up roots, rocks, etc. I have one of those as well and it does very good. It also gives you the ability to drop shanks if you want to go deeper or leave them to cover more ground considering your machines hp, weight, and traction. Subsoiler can be used to bury lines, and cultivator can be use as a plow once you get the trash off the ground so neither is a one trick pony.

/ Subsoiler recommendation
1. What is the tractor brand / tractor model you will be using?

The tractor's weight and drive, 2-WD or 4-WD, will control the subsoiler you can pull.​

2. As you have a Disc Plow for Primary Tillage, consider an All Purpose Plow for SecondaryTillage.
An APP will penetrate 12" to 14" deep.​

3. Though you have a Disc Plow, consider a Moldboard Plow rather than a Subsoiler.
A 16" Moldboard Plow will sever roots 9" below the surface if your tractor has enough traction to pull one. For safe plowing of roots you will need a trip plow or a shear bolt protected plow to make sure your tractor will not flip over backwards.​

1962 Case 430 Diesel 2WD, loaded tires

Wake Co. but I'll be driving close (Hwy-74) through Nantahala around Christmas time. I have to check with the guy that has it now... see if he is done with it.

Virginia Creeper should be pretty easy to control!!
Wave as you Go past!

bonus tip: Kostas Restaurant in Dillsboro is closed Wednesdays, but is a good stop for lunch - take the US441 South exit toward Atlanta, at the bottom of the hill make a left and it’s about 50 yards on the right.

/ Subsoiler recommendation #16  
Wave as you Go past!

bonus tip: Kostas Restaurant in Dillsboro is closed Wednesdays, but is a good stop for lunch - take the US441 South exit toward Atlanta, at the bottom of the hill make a left and it’s about 50 yards on the right.
Will do!!! Usually have to wait it out for lunch in Murphy.

/ Subsoiler recommendation #17  
1962 Case 430 Diesel 2WD, loaded tires

J.I. Case 430​

Mechanical
Chassis:4x2 2WD
Steering:manual
power*
Brakes:mechanical band/disc
Cab:Open operator station
Transmissions:4-speed unsynchronized gear
12-speed unsynchronized gear
8-speed mechanical shuttle
Dimensions
Wheelbase:75.25 inches
191 cm
Length:130.2 inches
330 cm
Width:61.375 inches
155 cm
Height (hood):50.5 inches
128 cm
Shiping weight:3125 lbs
1417 kg
Front tread:47.5 inches
120 cm
Rear tread:48 to 76 inches
121 to 193 cm
Rear tread:58/66 inches
147/167 cm

Your Case 430 can pull a single shank Subsoiler. Probably not at full depth through dry soil.

Your Case 430 can pull a four-tine All Purpose Plow. PHOTO.

Attachments

• DSC00346.jpg
    DSC00346.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 332

Last edited:

J.I. Case 430​

Mechanical
Chassis:4x2 2WD
Steering:manual
power*
Brakes:mechanical band/disc
Cab:Open operator station
Transmissions:4-speed unsynchronized gear
12-speed unsynchronized gear
8-speed mechanical shuttle
Dimensions
Wheelbase:75.25 inches
191 cm
Length:130.2 inches
330 cm
Width:61.375 inches
155 cm
Height (hood):50.5 inches
128 cm
Shiping weight:3125 lbs
1417 kg
Front tread:47.5 inches
120 cm
Rear tread:48 to 76 inches
121 to 193 cm
Rear tread:58/66 inches
147/167 cm

Your Case 430 can pull a single shank Subsoiler. Probably not at full depth through dry soil.

Your Case 430 can pull a four-tine All Purpose Plow.
THANK YOU!

info like that is very helpful 😁👍

And, In the neighbor’s wood line there are a couple two- and three- blade plows. . .

/ Subsoiler recommendation #19  
I have what I think is the same as the TSC, though it was Central Tractor back when I bought it (I believe Central Tractor was bought by TSC and absorbed). It has been fine for roots.

As to weld quality consistency, well, no promises, but you can look at one all you want before you buy it. Assuming you can buy it in person from a store, that is.

P.S. Yes, TSC and Central Tractor merged in 1999 under the TSC name.