Swapping Robin out with Kohler today

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today #1  

Frank Sorbello

Gold Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT-422
Getting ready to pull the 22hp Robin and install 25 actually 23.5hp Kohler in 422. So far I have the muffler off, battery out, gas tank and bracket out, throttle and choke cables disconnected, battery cables disconnected.

Terry had said to loosen the bolt engine bolts. Then I can slide the motor forward a couple inches that will help in removing the back pump. Should I loosen them where they bolt onto the engine stand? I have hydraulic pumps on the front and back of the engine. The pump on the back looks easy enough. There is a coupler on the front that I am not familiar with unhooking.

I also see I have a lot of wear on the two hydraulic hoses that feed the oil cooler. I better replace them before I put the new engine in.

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today #2  
Good luck Frank on the swap!

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today
Thanks Murph! I am going to need it. Not too mechanically inclined.

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today #4  
I have 3 of the 4 bolts that mounts engine to the stand loose. I am having trouble getting to the left front one by the starter. Any suggestions?

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today #6  
Getting ready to pull the 22hp Robin and install 25 actually 23.5hp Kohler in 422. So far I have the muffler off, battery out, gas tank and bracket out, throttle and choke cables disconnected, battery cables disconnected.

Terry had said to loosen the bolt engine bolts. Then I can slide the motor forward a couple inches that will help in removing the back pump. Should I loosen them where they bolt onto the engine stand? I have hydraulic pumps on the front and back of the engine. The pump on the back looks easy enough. There is a coupler on the front that I am not familiar with unhooking.

I also see I have a lot of wear on the two hydraulic hoses that feed the oil cooler. I better replace them before I put the new engine in.

Just a thought on the Love Joy coupler , Not sure how far you have gotten yet but good advise on taking lots of pictures. You also might want to make some sort of scribe marks around the side and front of the engine mount or bracket..

Also on the front of the pump base where the coupler links up, to make sure when you put it all back together the couplers line up properly. If not it will vibrate and eat the rubber spider in the middle up in a short amount of time.. Just a thought..

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today #7  
I have 3 of the 4 bolts that mounts engine to the stand loose. I am having trouble getting to the left front one by the starter. Any suggestions?
Just not enough room to get a ratchet or a combo wrench in there? Or is it stuck?

I pulled the 22hp Robin out today. Engine stand is unbolted, however the right rear wheel motor hydraulic line runs through the middle of the stand. Looks as though I will have to disconnect line at wheel motor and pull it through to get the engine stand out. The two hydraulic lines from the oil cooler have a cracked insulation, so I am probably going to disconnect and have two new ones made up. I have to put in a new engine stand made for the kohler. This job is a lot harder than I anticipated.
IMG_0283.JPG IMG_0285.JPG IMG_0288.JPG IMG_0290.JPG.

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today #9  
Hang in there. It always seems harder when you actually do it, but doing it is 10x the reward.

I worked for a guy who always suggested that we double our time estimate and multiply by 10 to get what it was really going to take. It was pretty accurate... :)

All the best,

Peter

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today #10  
Before you crack any hydraulic fittings...
- Clean everything really, really well. Dirt is your hydraulic systems enemy.
- Make sure you have a plan to plug and/or elevate any opened fittings and hoses higher than the level of the reservoir tank or plug it well. It can and will drain all of your hydraulic fluid onto the floor if you drop the open end of a hose, or open a fitting that's lower than the level in the tank. Several folks have found this out.

As you've guessed, now is the time to check and replace any questionable hoses. You don't want to find them after you've put it all back together.

Where are you getting the Kohler compatible plate?