Swapping Robin out with Kohler today

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today #22  
I bought some offset angle wrenches from HF that I use to get the hydraulic hoses. (1/2" to 1 1/2" set) You can swap ends and get ~17 degrees of motion if you have to.
There are some really challenging ones on my tub, too.

All the best,

Peter

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today
I bought a set of Crow Feet from Sears today. It won't budge! I have very little room. Afraid I am going to break off the nipple on the tank. It is the bottom hose closest to the tub wall. Image 3.jpg

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today #24  
How about surgery? Cut the hose off so you can get a deep-well 6 point socket over it with a 1/2" drive breaker bar on it...

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today #25  
Before you cut it off, I would put some PowerBlaster, or something similar on it, and tap (not hit!) it a couple of times and give it some time to soak in. The fitting has been through a bunch of hot/cold cycles and has some amount of corrosion on it for sure. Having cracked one of the hose flange nuts, I think that the difference between "normal", i.e. leak free, torque and broken is small.

If you have all of the flammables out of the way and some water in the bottom of your tub, I might think of a small bit of heat from a heat gun or a butane micro torch.

Along the lines of "It is plugged in, right?" I feel compelled to ask "Righty, tighty, lefty, loosey, right?"

Once you give up on it, a wrench with a piece of pipe is your friend.

All the best,

Peter

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today #26  
Before you cut it off, I would put some PowerBlaster, or something similar on it, and tap (not hit!) it a couple of times and give it some time to soak in. The fitting has been through a bunch of hot/cold cycles and has some amount of corrosion on it for sure. Having cracked one of the hose flange nuts, I think that the difference between "normal", i.e. leak free, torque and broken is small.

If you have all of the flammables out of the way and some water in the bottom of your tub, I might think of a small bit of heat from a heat gun or a butane micro torch.

Along the lines of "It is plugged in, right?" I feel compelled to ask "Righty, tighty, lefty, loosey, right?"

Once you give up on it, a wrench with a piece of pipe is your friend.

All the best,

Peter

It looks like a JIC fitting. If so, it should be easy to get off once you break it loose.
I might disconnect the other end and see if you can fit an offset wrench (like this: 8 Piece Metric Offset Box Wrench Set or make your own with a torch and a HF wrench) over the hose and down to the fitting.

Aaron Z

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today #27  
Here is one thing I have found. If you can get a wrench on it, and then put a pipe on the wrench it will move. It is scary as all heck, but nice steady heavy pressure will get that to go.

You are concerned you are going to mess up the nipple. Well guess what, it is already messed up. there is a pipe stuck to it and you can't complete your project until you get it off. Once that gets in your head then it is a bit less scary (Trust me, I live in the above place all the time and it is what I have to do to get through it. Fear of taking something off and never getting it back on is perpetual with me.

Pretty sure those nipples coming out of the tank are replaceable. You are not going to screw up because they are rated at like some crazy high PSI and "strong as ox" but if you do mess up, you can replace them Ain't fun but not impossible.

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today #28  
Can you remove the other end of that hose and snake it where you need it instead of disconnecting that end?

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today
I was able to get the hose off. I had to disconnect all the hoses first then take off all the fittings in the tank. A couple felt like they were going to snap off but they didn't. Now I am trying to dry up all the old oil and debris and put an Earl Scheib paint job in the tub. No matter how much you wipe it down, it is still oily. Not sure what I am going to do, but I know one thing, it ain't going to be pretty.

/ Swapping Robin out with Kohler today #30  
Hit it with something like simple green. That will cut through the oil.

Aaron Z