Trailer capacity

/ Trailer capacity #1  

MESSMAKER

Veteran Member
Tractor
DK4710SE
I thought I understood this but I recently have gotten some different views. My truck has plenty of romm but my trailer is close when loaded. Do you subtract tongue weight from the total load as it is being carried by the to vehicle.
EXample- 7000lb GVWR 2000 lb trailer +5500lb load =7500 which would be overloaded our do you subtract (About 10% or 750lb) which puts me at 6750lb.
I had always calculated load + trailer weight.

/ Trailer capacity #2  
I think as long as the load plus trailer weight is equal to or less than the axel capacity plus the hitch weight than you’re good.

/ Trailer capacity #3  
GVWR is trailer and load combined. Think of it like your paycheck, the trailer and load is your gross but the net is what you bring home or off load from your trailer at your destination. You don't deduct anything from your weights. You don't deduct your tongue weight either, if you unhook your trailer and drive off the tongue weight is still with the trailer.

/ Trailer capacity #4  
GVWR is trailer and load combined. Think of it like your paycheck, the trailer and load is your gross but the net is what you bring home or off load from your trailer at your destination. You don't deduct anything from your weights. You don't deduct your tongue weight either, if you unhook your trailer and drive off the tongue weight is still with the trailer.

If you unhook the trailer the tongue weight is on the jack, not the axles. The tongue weight is carried by the tow vehicle.

/ Trailer capacity
Plus the hitch weight? I was told the exact opposite by two different people. I looked through the web and it seemed to be a grey area. I saw it stated that trailer weight was what that is being carried by the trailer. He explained that the tongue weight is carried by the tow vehicle. He further explained that the tongue weight would go against the payload of the tow vehicle and not the trailer.It should mot be counted against both. It made sense, but goes against what I thought I knew.

/ Trailer capacity #6  
Plus the hitch weight? I was told the exact opposite by two different people. I looked through the web and it seemed to be a grey area. I saw it stated that trailer weight was what that is being carried by the trailer. He explained that the tongue weight is carried by the tow vehicle. He further explained that the tongue weight would go against the payload of the tow vehicle and not the trailer.It should mot be counted against both. It made sense, but goes against what I thought I knew.

I worded that poorly. I’m in agreement with what you have heard and will edit.

/ Trailer capacity #7  
A 7000# trailer will typically have 2 3500# axles. That means that together they will carry 7000#. BUT and additional 750 to 1000# is carried by the TV. Legally, you can load a 7000# trailer to approx 8000# and it will pass a weigh check by DMV.

/ Trailer capacity #10  
A 7000# trailer will typically have 2 3500# axles. That means that together they will carry 7000#. BUT and additional 750 to 1000# is carried by the TV. Legally, you can load a 7000# trailer to approx 8000# and it will pass a weigh check by DMV.

Before you go overloading a trailer you need to check the weight rating on the trailer tires.