welding carts

/ welding carts #91  
Nice cart Mr Arly, one thing to watch out for is hot slag on those pneumatic tires, I see the practicality of easily moving the welder and tank around however in my experience, fixing an old pull behind lawn trailer, burnt a hole right thru the cheap 2 ply Chinese wheel and I wasn't really welding around the tire.

/ welding carts #92  
i built this cart to hold these welders

IMG_4941.jpg

IMG_4940.jpg

IMG_4939.jpg

IMG_5052.jpg

67632910272__15FF3D2D-F032-4499-8117-BB27CAB223DC.jpg

/ welding carts #93  
That’s a beauty Big Barn. I see where the name comes from. I like the portable welding curtain. My metal shop is only 10 ft x 12 ft. I made it, in the corner of my 36 ft x 50 ft metal-sided pole barn, adjacent to a 20 ft x 12 ft wood shop. You can see my arc welder on its cart and my oxygen acetylene cart in there.
BC6271D7-9CD8-4723-935D-1E89D467030C.jpeg

Both of those small shops are below a 30 ft x 12 ft post and beam loft, that I made inside the pole barn, from materials recovered from my great great grandad’s old “1883” barns. Those were made mostly from American chestnut.
BAC64D98-7465-4DF0-9222-EA08F8966E21.jpeg

/ welding carts #94  
In order to minimize the fire hazard, because of all the wood around and stored up on the loft above, I do most of my welding and grinding outside, under the 10 ft x 25 ft side porch :
8D7FEC2D-2E1F-4068-814D-EB84A1E58D74.jpeg

Last edited:
   / welding carts #95  
That’s a beauty Big Barn. I see where the name comes from. I like the portable welding curtain. My metal shop is only 10 ft x 12 ft. I made it, in the corner of my 36 ft x 50 ft metal-sided pole barn, adjacent to a 20 ft x 12 ft wood shop. You can see my arc welder on its cart and my oxygen acetylene cart in there.
View attachment 794199

Both of those small shops are below a 30 ft x 12 ft post and beam loft, that I made inside the pole barn, from materials recovered from my great great grandad’s old “1883” barns. Those were made mostly from American chestnut.
View attachment 794198
Nice you could save that sentimental wood! (y)

/ welding carts #96  
Nice you could save that sentimental wood! (y)
I would have liked to save both of those 36’ x 46’ timber framed barns. The problem was that the foundations were failing at the same time as the roofs. Fixing them would have cost several times more than building the new metal building.

I had to take the first one down fast, because it was on the site of the new pole barn. That’s the one that fell down on my big wheel dolly, after I cut out the diagonal braces. It looked like it was leaning a bit, when I left for work that morning.

My daughter called me about noon, saying that it sounded like a couple of semi trucks had crashed on the road out front. She looked out and saw a huge cloud of dust.

Those old barns had 16 ft walls. They also had 4 layers of asphalt shingles on top of 3 layers of cedar. That made for a pretty Big Bang when they fell over. Fortunately, the only casualty from the unexpected fall was the big wheeled dolly that I used to make the back wheels on my portable welding table.

The second barn gave me a little trouble also. It was leaning towards my new pole barn. I tried pulling it down the opposite way, using 1/2” wire rope, thru a snatch block, to my largest tractor. The trouble was, the main cross beam to which I attached, and which was held by a second cable to keep it from falling earlier, snapped during the pull.

That resulted in it falling down in the direction it was leaning (towards the new barn). It missed that side porch by about 1/4”. Were it not for the possibility of that happening, I’d have made that side porch the whole 50’ length of the pole barn.

DCDA87EC-A134-4EC6-B133-15A0A482150F.jpeg

CD5EAC69-5977-43DA-830B-C5EA09473EF9.jpeg

Fortunately, there were no casualties when that one went down last spring. It did take me most of the year to clean up the mess.

Last edited:
   / welding carts
To reiterate. I only have very limited space to work in and I'm not buying another welder. Here is what the top of the cart looks like. This is the end the front with be sticking out from.
P1150743.jpg

/ welding carts #99  
HF probably still sells a solid tire that is the same size as the pneumatic tire so the tires can be easily changed if needed later on.

I think there's a coupon sale on that cart going on now.

/ welding carts
My deluxe welder showed up yesterday but i could not get it unboxed and placed in the carts top. I should be able to do this today. On a side bar I've had medical issues AND i had a job interview yesterday AND spring melt water is pouring into the basement. :LOL: