Well Pump Planing???

/ Well Pump Planing??? #41  
Dave,

I think it's 1" out of the well.

198226d1296759307-well-pump-planing-well-pipes.jpg

This post shows the pics of the setup.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/195605-well-pump-planing-2.html#post2246476

I think what i need to do is run 1.5" out for sprinkling.

Is it best to use PVC, Poly or Pex for this the runs would have to be plus 300'.

Look again.........I can not be sure from the picture but......it looks like there is a reducing elbow on top of the pipe coming out of the well. It looks like it reduces from 1 1/4" to 1".....I could be wrong.....

Search "friction loss in pipe" on google.

Your well is 180' + any other distance + any elbows which restrict flow + anything else = loss of flow and pressure.

Personally, I would remodel this project to be the best it could be and be done with it. Even if it costs $50 more for better pipe etc. because your labor is going to be in the hundreds of hours. Dave

/ Well Pump Planing??? #42  
It's definitely 1" pipe, which is good up to about 20-30 gpm at pressure.

PM me for more information, if I can help you I will. I have done this hundreds of times.

/ Well Pump Planing??? #43  
View attachment Friction Loss in sched 40 pipe.pdf

dieselscout, Good evening.
I have attached a friction loss in pipe schedule.
Looking at the schedule for sched 40 1" pvc @ 40 GPM for the first 100 feet, you will lose 31.27 psi due to friction loss. Since your pump is 180" submerged and I can see 3 elbows in the picture, you are probably losing 35 psi if not 40 psi by the time the water gets out of the well.

I want you to look at the bottom of the elbow where it comes in contact with the plate on top of the casing. I think that is 1 1/4" pipe going into the elbow and 1" pipe coming out of the elbow. Check it again.

Now it is time for you to trust TheGoose. He thinks I am incorrect according to his statement because it contradicts what I stated. Good luck with the Goose who has done this hundreds of times.

I think TheGoose is smarter than I am when it comes to hydraulics and irrigation. He will save you a lot of money by letting you continue with what you have.

PS: do not forget the chart is for the first 100' of straight pipe.

Goose, how do you get 30 GPM through 180' of 1" pipe ??? Just curious.

In my opion, another know-it-all id**t to the rescue. Just my opinion, don't get all worked up. Reread what you wrote and you will probably agree. Or read what all the other posts have said and learn something. Or at least read the "friction loss in pipe" pdf and learn something before you jump on my case.

Hakim, Good evening. You and I have been here before. Person give "bad" information, thinking they are doing right, are doing more harm than good.
Let me know if you are 86'ing me from the forum.
Sincerely, Dave

++++++++++++++++++
TheGoose Re: Well Pump Planing???
PM me for more information, if I can help you I will. I have done this hundreds of times.

+++++++++++++++++++

Last edited:
   / Well Pump Planing??? #44  
I'm not really sure why you think my remarks are directed at you. Any of my remarks are directed at the original poster.

My personal rule of thumb is that 1" is good up to 20 GPM, anything over 20 GPM gets 1.25" pipe up until about 40 GPM. The distance also plays a role. The longer the distance, the bigger the pipe. Of course you can use 1.5", but it's kind of rare in wells.

Application and costs play into it also. If you want to pay for 2" pipe then go for it. If you need 50+ GPM, you need 2" pipe. Some applications do not require pressure (open ended), so you have a little play in the selections. Sometimes the added head loss is a good thing for the pump, as it will restrict it a little.

View attachment 222857

Looking at the schedule for sched 40 1" pvc @ 40 GPM for the first 100 feet, you will lose 31.27 psi due to friction loss. Since your pump is 180" submerged and I can see 3 elbows in the picture, you are probably losing 35 psi if not 40 psi by the time the water gets out of the well.

I want you to look at the bottom of the elbow where it comes in contact with the plate on top of the casing. I think that is 1 1/4" pipe going into the elbow and 1" pipe coming out of the elbow. Check it again.

Now it is time for you to trust TheGoose. He thinks I am incorrect according to his statement because it contradicts what I stated. Good luck with the Goose who has done this hundreds of times.

I think TheGoose is smarter than I am when it comes to hydraulics and irrigation. He will save you a lot of money by letting you continue with what you have.

In my opion, another know-it-all id**t to the rescue. Just my opinion, don't get all worked up. Reread what you wrote and you will probably agree. Or read what all the other posts have said and learn something. Or at least read the "friction loss in pipe" pdf and learn something before you jump on my case.

Hakim, Good evening. You and I have been here before. Person give "bad" information, thinking they are doing right, are doing more harm than good.
Sincerely, Dave

++++++++++++++++++

+++++++++++++++++++

Last edited:
   / Well Pump Planing??? #45  
And I really don't appreciate the personal attacks. It might be 1", or it might be 1.25". Hard to tell from the pics. What difference does it make that you have to get your panties all in a wad?

Just for your information, he's only losing energy out of the top of the well, not pressure.

People like yourself is why people that "know" don't like to post much on these forums. Those who do, do. Those who don't, never will.

I may have overlooked some of the OP details, but this thread went all over the place and I lost track of what exactly it is he wanted to do, which is why I asked him to PM me.

This is how you get 50 GPM out of 1.25 pipe BTW
View attachment 222857

++++++++++++++++++

+++++++++++++++++++

Attachments

• resized 50 gpm0429111341.jpg
    resized 50 gpm0429111341.jpg
    527.1 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
   / Well Pump Planing???
installing the check valve won't work, the pressure switch will not kick the pump on once the pressure in the tank is low.

I thought about this and I believe you are correct.

/ Well Pump Planing???
View attachment 222857

Sincerely, Dave

++++++++++++++++++

+++++++++++++++++++

Well (not a pun :confused2:) I looked at the setup last evening.

The galvanized elbow is a reducing elbow not sure what size though. I've attached some pics with some labels on it.

The bass fitting "T" that goes to the pressure than says 25.4mm on it which converts to 1"

How hard is it to swap out the galvanized reducing elbow?

Does it hurt to tee off before the pressure switch?

Our pressure switch is set at on at 30 psi and off at 60 psi.

The sprinklers are used to irrigate pasture not lawn.

Attachments

• Well setup labeled 29 July 2011.jpg
    Well setup labeled 29 July 2011.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 67
  • Well pressure tank T a.jpg
    Well pressure tank T a.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 67
  • Well pressure tank T.jpg
    Well pressure tank T.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
   / Well Pump Planing??? #48  
/QUOTE]

Depends on if there is a union below the cover.:)

Otherwise it may require cutting, threading and adding another union.:)

Not difficult.

May have to support the tubing if the cap comes off.

Might be a good time to reconfigure the piping.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

/ Well Pump Planing???
/QUOTE]

Depends on if there is a union below the cover.:)

Otherwise it may require cutting, threading and adding another union.:)

Not difficult.

May have to support the tubing if the cap comes off.

Might be a good time to reconfigure the piping.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Can I remove one half of the cap to take a peek at the pipe?

/ Well Pump Planing??? #50  
That should be possible as the other piping should hold if anything slips. Would not hurt to tie the piping to one side to help prevent slip.:)

Note: Not really seeing the on site situation may lead to erroneous/dumb comments on my part.