When do you replace the chain on a 3-PT. snowblower?

/ When do you replace the chain on a 3-PT. snowblower?
Yes, I was wondering about the sprockets. Should I replace both sprockets and the idler or just the drive sprocket? I googled Pronovost part number 6567 which I got from my owner's manual and only one hit came up for a supplier. White's Farm Supply in New York.

/ When do you replace the chain on a 3-PT. snowblower? #12  
You will probably be OK just replacing the drive sprocket. The only thing to go bad with the idler would be the bearings or bushing - whichever it has. Grab the idler - can you make it wobble. If it doesn't - it's probably still good.

If you want to be super safe - get the drive, idler and a new chain. With proper maintenance you should be good for 20 to 25 years. Puma is a really great heavy duty blower.

Of course, you know, now that you are getting the blower all set up - it will probably only rain all winter. Ha, ha, ha

/ When do you replace the chain on a 3-PT. snowblower? #13  
Another easy way to check for wear on a roller chain is to hold it out straight with the side links up and down.
the more it sags out of flat is how much the pins and rollers are worn.
Also there are several grades and types of #50 roller chain, including #50H and even #530 motorcycle chain.
several here;
ANSI Roller Chains - American Standard Roller Chains

/ When do you replace the chain on a 3-PT. snowblower?
Update: I ended up replacing the chain, and also the drive and idler sprocket. In comparing the new to old drive and idler sprockets they appeared to show little to no wear. Both of the old sprockets still showed flat at the tops of each tooth. It looked just like the new ones. Idler bushing was good. But since I had purchased them I replaced them both. About $130 with shipping from Canada for just the sprockets. Seems like a lot of money but they do appear to be ruggedly built. And it is nice to know Provanost is willing to supply parts for older equipment. It took less than a week for my dealer to get the parts. No room to complain there.

What did show considerable wear was the large sprocket at the end of the auger. I did not purchase one so I ended up turning the sprocket around so the other side of the tooth will now be doing the work. It is snowing here now so I will be testing everything tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone again for your input, as always you have been a big help.
Mark from Maine

/ When do you replace the chain on a 3-PT. snowblower? #15  
My blower takes the same #50 chain. I bought a 10ft section, 2 master links and 1 half link. There very cheap to have on hand...like $25

/ When do you replace the chain on a 3-PT. snowblower? #16  
I'm in the same boat! I bought a new (used) tractor and couldn't resist the deal for the blower that came with it - my old tractor also had a blower which worked fine but it's circa 1970's at a wild guess vs the new (used) blower that's likely less then 10 years old... The newer blower has a bigger fan and is 4 blade vs 3 so I figure it'll blow snow better then the old, and from what little snow I've had to clear I can say it does a great job.
But!
That chain is stretched out good. I've adjusted the idler to the max and it's still loose. I guess the original owner didn't bother oiling it much. shame as my ancient blower showed how a little maintenance goes a long way with that chain! Shame I didn't notice it when I bought it - I'd have worked a new chain into the deal... I've been debating taking a link out but I think I'll do it right and replace the chain.

E.

/ When do you replace the chain on a 3-PT. snowblower? #17  
Replacement is for sure is the better long term solution but I'll bet there is a lot of life in that old one.
Problem is that usually new chain is sold boxed and usually more than U need and also just too short to make up multiple of your lengths.
Either way, get extra full and 1/2 monkey links.

/ When do you replace the chain on a 3-PT. snowblower? #18  
just curious what are these half links everyone is refering to. my understanding is that the distance between each rivet has to be the same all around the chain so I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the idea of a half link. it would jam on the sprocket if it was half the length.

/ When do you replace the chain on a 3-PT. snowblower? #19  
It is a link with a male and a female end;
1641919477034.png

/ When do you replace the chain on a 3-PT. snowblower? #20  
just curious what are these half links everyone is refering to. my understanding is that the distance between each rivet has to be the same all around the chain so I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the idea of a half link. it would jam on the sprocket if it was half the length.
It's not actually half the size: