Your towing rigs and trailers

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,391  
I don’t want a PSD, too expensive to fix up compared to the IDI. A turboed 7.3 IDI puts out same stats as the earlier PSDs, I can build up an IDI much cheaper than a PSD and have a cheaper engine to repair down the road. From what I read.

My F350 with stock suspension would handle the load, would just have to make sure the trans stays cool, it’s already over heated on me once and blew out trans fluid all over the place (scared me, thought the truck was on fire). After cooling off, it sealed back up.

My truck has the 4:11 or 4:10 rear gears, so it has a harder time at highway speeds pulling a load, really heats the trans up. Plus my button to lock it out of overdrive doesn’t work at the moment.

The 14k load would just be to tractor shows, less than 10x per year.
For the 7.3 auto people recommend putting in a 6.0 tranny cooler. Their temps run 40°ish cooler. I'm sure it would do the same for a 460

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,392  
I would add turbo to a 7.3idi or 6.2 if they didn’t have them already.

I have been considering something bigger like a topkick or international truck also. They are cheaper than 1 ton trucks to buy.

I like my topkick because it’s cool and tough. The downside is it’s a gas guzzling pig but I don’t really care because it only moves when there’s work to do. I had a 90s body 3500HD that I sold because my 3500 is a lot nicer but otherwise the HD is a lot better hauler. The 90s HD is a huge step up from a 3500. But for towing 14,000 an HD or Topkick is complete overkill.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,393  
I like my topkick because it’s cool and tough. The downside is it’s a gas guzzling pig but I don’t really care because it only moves when there’s work to do. I had a 90s body 3500HD that I sold because my 3500 is a lot nicer but otherwise the HD is a lot better hauler. The 90s HD is a huge step up from a 3500. But for towing 14,000 an HD or Topkick is complete overkill.

Seems the consensus is to build up my F350 a bit and call it good lol.

Add gooseneck, trailer brake controller. Will prob do headers, exhaust, better intake, bigger wires, cooler plugs etc. biggest thing is the trans, big trans cooler, deep pan, temp gauge, MAYBE punisher valve body for better shifting.

I have $1800 in the truck, 2-3k on high end for all I just listed and have a good hauling truck hopefully.

That’s what I’m leaning towards now, anyway.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,394  
Seems the consensus is to build up my F350 a bit and call it good lol.

Add gooseneck, trailer brake controller. Will prob do headers, exhaust, better intake, bigger wires, cooler plugs etc. biggest thing is the trans, big trans cooler, deep pan, temp gauge, MAYBE punisher valve body for better shifting.

I have $1800 in the truck, 2-3k on high end for all I just listed and have a good hauling truck hopefully.

That痴 what I知 leaning towards now, anyway.

Sounds like good performance vs. $ to me. Might add air-bags to the list, if not done already.

Understating the obvious...... on their own, headers and exhaust will probably go a long way to managing heat on that 460.

(Not discounting trans upgrades; I'd do similar @ 14K).

Rgds, D.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,395  
Here’s both of my trucks. I needed to take the big truck and leave it and I didn’t have another ride so I just loaded my other truck. IMG_7427.JPG

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,397  
Here’s both of my trucks. I needed to take the big truck and leave it and I didn’t have another ride so I just loaded my other truck. View attachment 620643

IMG_8402.JPG

I did that once, bought the 91 F350 1 ton about an hour and half away from my house for $900. Towed an empty trailer, put my 1/2 ton on the trailer once I got there and pulled it home.

IMG_8661.JPGIMG_8662.JPG

We called it the Christmas tree, because it had so many **** lights lol. Was a good truck though, after about $400 in parts. (Belts, radiator and heater hoses, drivers side rear axle seal, clutch pedal bushing, Master cylinder, ABS Hydraulic Unit, DOT 4 brake fluid flush etc.

When I bought it, brakes were super soft, clutch pedal wouldn’t come up all the way. Made a bushing out of copper because where the plastic bushing was, it was too hollowed out, had too much slop.

When I was done, sold it for $2200. Guy who bought it got two years out of it completely trouble free hauling equipment, I didn’t get an update past that.

IMG_9234.JPG

Edit: I almost forgot till I saw the chains on the front of the truck, the truck died 1/4 mile down the road from my house. I had to bother a neighbor that happened to be outside and have him drive the truck as I pull the rig home with my tractor. The truck had a rear gas tank, someone before me dropped the tank and plugged the fuel lines with some bolts and random crap that slipped off so the truck ran out of gas essentially. I fixed it with a proper brass barbed fittings and hose clamps. Never had an issue after that.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,398  
I needed a one man show, do-it-all truck & trailer setup so I just took delivery on a new completely custom Midsota FFRD for my good old M59 to ride on in style.
The FFRD has a 12' x 8' dump box with dropdown sides, 8' x 8' flatbed in front, pass through gates, 3 way rear gate, 9.5' ramps, wireless remote, receiver in neck and on rear, basket in neck, tool box, etc.
I am very impressed with how it works with 10k axles and super single 18ply 17.5's.
I pull it with an '18 Ram C&C dually converted to super single 19.5's. All the super single tires exceed axle capacity by at least 10% for safety margin.
It all works great together without having to worry about picking up rocks in between duals and a narrower track to fit through tighter roads & bridges out in the rural Rockies of MT.
Here are some pics:
View attachment 618338View attachment 618339View attachment 618340View attachment 618341View attachment 618342View attachment 618343View attachment 618344View attachment 618345

That’s an awesome trailer!! How much did that run? They have a website with different options ?

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,400  
41022FC7-82F7-40F7-ADEC-D9B571C6B201.jpeg Power Wagon didn’t do to bad.