Your towing rigs and trailers

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #1,831  
I think a CDL-A has to have air endorsement unless there is a restriction for no air . When the CDL went Federal we all had to take the written test for it. I've got an alphabet soup in the endorsements section. As far as weight, the tractor rear axle is 19,000, the trailer axles are 20,000, so that would be 39,000 less the weight of the trailer. The fifth wheel doesn't slide so weight transfer to the front axle really doesn't enter into the formula as far as I'm concerned. The trailer is rather light duty, and the tractor is only single axle drive. If it were a standard weight trailer, the trailer axles in NY, would be good for 34,000 without a permit. A tandem axle tractor would be good for 34,000 on the drives and 12,000 on the steer. That would put you at 80,000 gross.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #1,832  
Just replaced my '05 Work Truck Silverado with a '12 Crew Cab. Not sure if I'm going to be able to live with the 5.5' bed. Wanted the cab space for the kids.
2012 5.3L/3.42, has factory backup camera etc.

NCM_0693.JPGNCM_0706.JPG

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #1,833  
Duplicate post

Last edited:
   / Your towing rigs and trailers #1,834  
Two weeks ago I replaced my Dodge with this 2014 GMC Double Cab.........wanted the 6 ft 6 box so passed on the larger crew cab. The 6 ft 6 box can fit my ATV with tailgate half up , so I can still haul the boat with box loaded with ATV.
I added the Leer cap this week , but I have a location behind the garage that I can slide that on and off on to a platform.
No chance yet to haul the landscape trailer and tractor, but it has five more HP than the Dodge had so I expect it will be fine.

Attachments

• DSC00380.jpg
    DSC00380.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 274
   / Your towing rigs and trailers #1,835  
Two weeks ago I replaced my Dodge with this 2014 GMC Double Cab.........wanted the 6 ft 6 box so passed on the larger crew cab. The 6 ft 6 box can fit my ATV with tailgate half up , so I can still haul the boat with box loaded with ATV.
I added the Leer cap this week , but I have a location behind the garage that I can slide that on and off on to a platform.
No chance yet to haul the landscape trailer and tractor, but it has five more HP than the Dodge had so I expect it will be fine.

Like the truck, looked at the 14's decided the '12 with 15,000 miles was closer to what I wanted to spend.

Like the Australian Shepherd rescued my first one from a shelter in 1992, and have had at least one ever since.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #1,837  
Here's my fleet of Whites.

Those are very Cool!
I like the B model Mack's, but the one on the left made me look twice.

(Not sure why the picture did not attach...look scroll up to red trucks)

Last edited:
   / Your towing rigs and trailers #1,838  
Like the truck, looked at the 14's decided the '12 with 15,000 miles was closer to what I wanted to spend.

Like the Australian Shepherd rescued my first one from a shelter in 1992, and have had at least one ever since.

Yes bdeboer ........Lucy our Australian Shepherd is well loved........enough so that she already has first dibs on the front passenger seat.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #1,839  
A contractor working on a Hospital project has a 2014 Super Duty F350 and is really impressed with it's towing ability... he has a special built tag trailer rated at 18k and will tow anything from multiple scissor lifts to mini excavators.

One of the guys that works for him spun the rear truck tires on dry pavement towing the dozer because he didn't realize the power is has when leaving from a stop light near the shop... the regular Diesel he drives takes putting your foot into it to get everything moving...

Several of the guys have 2006 F250 Diesels and are very pleased with them... for what it is worth.

Last edited:
   / Your towing rigs and trailers #1,840  
Not trying to take anything away from the 2014 but my old 97 would easily spin the tires on dry pavement.