Weed Wiper

/ Weed Wiper #1  

Hiltz

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 790
I had some nasty weeds sprout before my clover this fall and I needed a way to get rid of them. I did some searching on the interweb and found farmers having the same problem used a weed wiper. What a cool idea. Further searching I found instructions on how to build your own as ready made units were pricey. I did find a company in Lyon Mississippi called Rosco that sold kits. They supplied the rope assembly, pvc compression fitting, and instructions. All the builder had to do was buy a 3" x 10' pvc pipe, endcap, elbow and cleanout. I had some glue and cleaner. I built my wiper to attach to the forks of my front end loader. It is a little easier driving around fence posts this way and all the weeds get a good wiping. If attached to the rear the tires knock down the weeds and they don't get wiped. Also I am able to "curl" the wiper where the ropes are on the bottom where they really get a full soaking of roundup. The first picture is before wiping and the second photo is after wiping. The second photo was taken 5 days after the wipe and you can see how the weeds are turning brown and the clover is nice and green. weeds 001.jpgweedsalso 002.jpgweeds 002.jpgweeds 005.jpg

/ Weed Wiper #2  
That is neat! I need to build one myself. Do you have a link or contact info for Rosco? My farm is about 10 miles from Lyon, MS

/ Weed Wiper #7  
After your treated the weeds did the tires transfer the glyphosate to the clover? I found out the hard way after I treated the driveway and ran over the lawn.

/ Weed Wiper
Steve. Sorry I didn't make that clear. Im not sure what % glyphosate it is. I get my Roundup from a real farmer. This is the agricultural grade or commercial grade stuff the farmers buy in 600 gallon units. I don't use much during the year so usually 2 gallons is all I buy for gardens and food plots. Hope this helps.
I take it that you are mixing one part of 41% glyphosate with 2 parts water. Is this correct?

Thanks for any clarification.

Steve

/ Weed Wiper #9  
Around here ag grade roundup is 85% active ingredients.

/ Weed Wiper #10  
Nice job.
I did something similar using three 5-ft String Wing applicators from Agri Supply

String Wing, 5' Wick Appicator, Chemical Applicator | Agri Supply, 71934, Rope W

Weed wiper-1.JPG

I rigged up an attachment gizmo that fits on the 6-ft wide bucket on the Mahindra 5525.

I get the glysophate from Home Depot--41% concentrate with surficant, dilute 3:1.

Compare-N-Save 2.5 gal. Grass and Weed Killer-75325 at The Home Depot

I buy two 2.5 gal jugs at a time since it has to be ordered and shipped from a Louisiana warehouse and HD has free shipping on orders over $75.