Stump Grinder Woodland Mills WG24?

/ Stump Grinder Woodland Mills WG24? #81  
It looks like if you want one, you're going to have to wait a few months... Reserve now, more stock arriving October, 3rd. Call 1-855-476-6455 to reserve.

The factory in China is making another batch!

/ Stump Grinder Woodland Mills WG24?
So I went to Woodlands website and downloaded the operators manual. In there it says to remove stabilizing pin before using. So I went to the parts diagram and figured out what the stabilizing pin is for. The stump grinder is mounted on a swivel and if you try to chew through too much the grinder just swings back. So that means that you can't feed it too much. Therefore there should be no problems using this with a shuttle type tractor as long as it has a clutch.

I also wouldn't mind seeing a video of an actual owner using this grinder. If someone wants to send me this model of grinder I'll gladly post a video. Send me a pm for shipping info!

I'd love to buy one myself as I have a few stumps to take care of. $3000 with extra teeth, shipping and taxes is just a bit out of my budget range right now.

Where are you getting that price. Oh I see you're in Canada so that must be Canadian dollars. It's 2K for the grinder for us, I forgot what the extra set of teeth ran but it wasn't that much so I'd order them too.
This looks to be the most economical PTO driven stump grinder out there so if it's out of your range you're SOL. However don't forget that you can always sell it once you're stump free.

/ Stump Grinder Woodland Mills WG24? #83  
I could really use a stump grinder but those things can be very pricey. Some cost as much as a backhoe. I saw this one and it seems like it's made to get the job done and doesn't cost as much because it seems the design is much more commonsensical than the others I've seen for much more money. No gear box needed, no extra cylinders or hydraulics needed etc. Simply connect to 3pt and get to work. Has anyone here used one of these? If so, how was it?
WG24 Stump Grinder | Woodland Mills US

Thanks dickfoster for discovering this great stump grinder and company!

It's worked out magnificently. Two stumps, one about 12" and the other 24" on the same residential property took about 1/2 hour, including extensive root systems. They were both overgrown ewe shrubs that had been about 35 or 40' high. I think the "chat" on the Woodmills site is a robot. You have to get them on the phone. There was a one week delay in the arrival of my grinder. It actually shipped to Philadelphia from a New York City warehouse. I'm not sure what might be going on with that.

So here's my impression: The grinder arrived on a steel pallet with 2 x 4" steel tube runners. The cardboard box was framed with steel angle and slats. I used it with a 1025 FILB with a Curtis Cab that has 18 hp at the rear PTO. It mounted right up without need for any cutting of the PTO shaft that came with the grinder. It is VERY beefy and looks expensive compared to the junk available for rent at HD. The 1025 Deere will raise it 15" from the grade. It is designed to be pulled through a stump. It has 34 brazed carbide chips that remained razor sharp after grinding through buried roots and stumps. The little Deere did get bogged down from time to time in damp clay, but with a hand on the lift while pulling the grinder through, it was easy to avoid a stall by raising it slightly. I left the rear window on the cab and it was good that I did because it chucked wood chips at me. I pulled the sway turn buckles super tight and have Pat's hooks on the draft arms, so to detach the grinder, I had to loosen up everything again. The Deere would sway on Turf Tires, but nothing scary. The lift height and short wheelbase made it very easy to maneuver the grinder over the stump inches at a time and by hard steering, the grinder moved laterally atshallow angles quite nicely. I would take this arrangement over the side to side hydraulic grinder any time. Sitting sideways in the seat (had to remove the arms from the swivel seat because of the cab), with a gentle left foot on the hydrostatic forward pedal, steering with a suicide knob, it was actually fun watching the chips fly. When the tractor was level, the grinder actually pulled itself through the stump at the rate it liked, with just a little assist here and there on the pedal. No need for extra hoses or hydraulics.

Harbor Frieght sells diamond carbide saw blade sharpeners and wheels really cheap. Disassemble the sawblade frame from the grinder motor and you have a nice sharpener for the carbide bits.

It exceeds my expectations and 18 hp PTO does drive it acceptably.

Ken

I was living vicariously through this review. So fantastic Ken - thanks for sharing your experience. I think I may need to get one of these. :thumbsup:

For those looking for a video - below is a link to a nice youtube video showing the unit in action.

First 9 minutes shows compete annihilation of a good sized tall stump, then there is a time lapse of a large combo set of stumps being destroyed. Very nice!

/ Stump Grinder Woodland Mills WG24? #84  
New guy here. I bought a Kubota L3901 HST a few months ago and I immediately began searching for implements. We moved to a 5.5 acre property early this year and the previous owner left countless stumps at mower-killing heights above grade - low enough that they're difficult to see but just high enough to catch the mower deck and blades (Kubota ZD 326 zero turn).

I started pricing stump grinding services, stump grinder rental, etc. and then stump grinder implements for the new tractor and I stumbled across the Woodland Mills unit. A Google search led me to this thread / forum. After watching the video from youtube and reading thoughts/reviews here, I placed a deposit on a (backordered) grinder. Woodland Mills called me Friday (10/14) and said they were expecting a shipment early this week so I paid the balance and am pending an email from Woodland Mills with my tracking number.

I can't wait to put this thing into action! Mowing my property is stressful as I'm constantly watching for stumps. I've memorized most of the locations but I forget one once in a while and am very rudely reminded when the mower catches the stump.

I am a very busy small business owner and we're expecting a baby (#5!) in the next day or two so who knows when I'll actually get to try out the grinder but I'm hopeful that it'll be sooner than later. I'll do my best to follow up with a review once I've put it to good use.

For the record, most of my stumps are small (less than 8" diameter) but there are a few much larger stumps to grind as well.

/ Stump Grinder Woodland Mills WG24? #86  
Can't wait to see how they work for you guys.

/ Stump Grinder Woodland Mills WG24? #87  
update: I have a tracking number as of this morning. The grinder has already made multiple stops en route but it doesn't give an arrival date. It does say the package is 518 pounds.

update 2: The carrier says I'll have the grinder 10/24 (Monday).

Last edited:
   / Stump Grinder Woodland Mills WG24?
update: I have a tracking number as of this morning. The grinder has already made multiple stops en route but it doesn't give an arrival date. It does say the package is 518 pounds.

update 2: The carrier says I'll have the grinder 10/24 (Monday).

Looking forward to what you guys have to say about it. I'm still waiting to order one. I probably will but I'm just cheap like that sometimes. The more good things I hear about it, the more likely I am to break down and buy the thing.