Tractor Sizing Almost Daily Thread: SUBCOMPACT or COMPACT TRACTOR?

/ Almost Daily Thread: SUBCOMPACT or COMPACT TRACTOR?
I think it's good that repetitive threads are posted from tractor neophytes. The new member can refine his or her own thinking by having to describe their issues to others, and it gives experienced forum members who don't spend all of their time here a chance to help someone.

Unsurprisingly, the replies are basically repetitive too. The purpose of this thread is to optimize initial replies to the basic and frequent question: SUBCOMPACT or COMPACT TRACTOR?

/ Almost Daily Thread: SUBCOMPACT or COMPACT TRACTOR? #32  
Unsurprisingly, the replies are basically repetitive too. The purpose of this thread is to optimize initial replies to the basic and frequent question: SUBCOMPACT or COMPACT TRACTOR?

What is the value of the optimization you seek?

/ Almost Daily Thread: SUBCOMPACT or COMPACT TRACTOR? #33  
What is the value of the optimization you seek?

I dont know because his stuff while informational at times reads like a manual and only talks Kubota. Not sure how much I have gleaned there

/ Almost Daily Thread: SUBCOMPACT or COMPACT TRACTOR? #34  
IMO the term "subcompact" is a misnomer and just a marketing term...I've never seen any industry standards that discern the terms...
Any tractor smaller than what is typically considered a full size machine (think 9n etc...) is a "compact" tractor...some are more compact that others...

Methinks the term subcompact was coined to prevent them from being called "mini-tractors"

/ Almost Daily Thread: SUBCOMPACT or COMPACT TRACTOR? #35  
IMO the term "subcompact" is a misnomer and just a marketing term...I've never seen any industry standards that discern the terms...
Any tractor smaller than what is typically considered a full size machine (think 9n etc...) is a "compact" tractor...some are more compact that others...

Methinks the term subcompact was coined to prevent them from being called "mini-tractors"

Its all marketing to sell to certain niches and to separate brands etc. I also think the term is used to sell these to suburban novice users that think tractor and think I dont need or want some monster, but maybe a smaller a one. It has worked I see a lot of 30-40k machines sitting around in yards that arent used to but mow and move a few wood chips around

Four reasons owner/operators trade up from a BX:
More tractor weight.
More FEL lift capacity.
Greater ground clearance
Three-range (3) HST rather than two-range (2) HST on BX. (Lower LOW, Higher, HIGH)

Five reasons owner/operators trade up from a Subcompact Tractor:
More tractor weight.
More FEL lift capacity.
More ground clearance
Three-range (3) HST (Lower LOW, Higher, HIGH) rather than two-range (2) HST.
Larger wheels and tires yield more tractive power pulling ground contact implements and logs, pushing a loader bucket into dirt and pushing snow. Larger wheels and tires permit heavier tractors to bridge holes, ruts and tree debris with less operator perturbation.

The fundamental importance of TRACTOR WEIGHT eludes many tractor shoppers. Heavier tractor weight is more important for most tractor applications than increased tractor horsepower. Bare tractor weight is a tractor specification easily found in sales brochures and web sites, readily comparable across tractor brands and tractor models, new and used.

Last edited:
   / Almost Daily Thread: SUBCOMPACT or COMPACT TRACTOR? #37  
Is a garden tractor a tractor? Because that's pretty much what the term in its smallest versions has come down in size to. To me, an 8N would have been about the smallest (serious) tractor. Everything else smaller is just some kind of homeowner intended rig designed to take advantage of an obviously large market.

To me, TRACTOR is all about traction, so it gets me to wondering. If you had to pull out your stuck half ton, what would stand a better chance, an old 8N or a 4wd scut, tlb with turf tires?

/ Almost Daily Thread: SUBCOMPACT or COMPACT TRACTOR? #38  
To pull out a half ton, my money would be on the TLB with turf tires. I own a ‘52 8N and it’s only 2wd with no diff lock. It gets stuck easy unless you have loaded rears and/or chains.

/ Almost Daily Thread: SUBCOMPACT or COMPACT TRACTOR? #39  
Is a garden tractor a tractor? .........................

I remember seeing a post once that made me smile. It was something along the lines of "If you don't have to go up at least three steps to get into the cab, it ain't a real tractor".

I'm torn between the baby RK24 or a comp. brand model and the RK37.

We have 10 acres of semi cleared land. The rig will be used primarily for keeping up the dirt road, clearing some trails, hogging and some tilling (less than 5 acres) and likely a grapple for misc. tasks.

Am I likely going to kick myself if I go for the more affordable RK24 or should I step up to a 30hp series? Only ran a few tractors in my life and while we will certainly feel the squeeze on our wallets with the bigger unit i don't want to regret our purchase or feel like it can't handle the work.

The RK24 is a Subcompact Tractor.

The RK37 is a Compact Tractor.

Subcompact tractors are best regarded as wonderful lawn mowers with the ability to do light landscaping tasks. You have not itemized mowing turf as a tractor application.

With only 9" ground clearance with mower removed, it is difficult to take a subcompact tractor into woodlands.

FEL bucket lift capacity is around 500 pounds. Not much by tractor standards BUT SURE BEATS TRUNDLING A WHEELBARROW OF 80 POUNDS CAPACITY. With a full bucket, the tractor can be a bit unstable.....but so are other tractors. Front axle is thin. Plan to keep 350 to 450 pounds counterbalance mounted on the Three Point Hitch when doing Loader work. Weight behind the robust rear axle unloads weight from the relatively weak front axle, pierced by the steering pivot.

Subcompact tractors are solid for what they are. Excellent first tractors. Easy to service yourself.

Five reasons owner/operators trade up from Subcompact Tractors:
More tractor weight.
More FEL lift capacity.
Greater ground clearance
Three-range (3) HST (Lower LOW, Higher, HIGH) rather than two-range (2) HST.
Larger wheels and tires yield more tractive power pulling ground contact implements and logs, pushing a loader bucket into dirt and pushing snow. Larger wheels and tires permit heavier tractors to bridge holes, ruts and tree debris with less operator perturbation.

Selling a used tractor is easy. Selling multiple light implements in order to buy heavier, wider implements for a new, heavier tractor requires a lot of time. Depreciation on implements is generally greater than depreciation on a tractor.

Be sure to try both RK models for operator station fit. Especially important if your are six feet tall or taller, trend portly and/or wear a size 10 shoe or larger.

For the tractor applications you have listed, I recommend the heavier RK37. The fundamental importance of TRACTOR WEIGHT eludes many tractor shoppers. Heavier tractor weight is more important for most tractor applications than increased tractor horsepower. Bare tractor weight is a tractor specification easily found in sales brochures and web sites, readily comparable across tractor brands and tractor models, new and used.

VIDEO: So you want to TRADE UP for a new Tractor? - TMT - YouTube