Anybody own a Guardline Driveway Sensor?

/ Anybody own a Guardline Driveway Sensor? #101  
I'm impressed and surprised that a detector would detect a rifle! My Sure Action system has coils (two for directional information) in the ground that see the Earths Magnetic Field. When a vehicle goes over, that changes and they alarm. Because the Earths field changes, you need to reduce the sensitivity. I could probably detect a Rifle, but then the thing would be falsing all the time.

Also, lightning storms, even at a distance just drives the thing nuts! There is an optional lighting probe that cancels that out.

/ Anybody own a Guardline Driveway Sensor? #102  
I'm impressed and surprised that a detector would detect a rifle! My Sure Action system has coils (two for directional information) in the ground that see the Earths Magnetic Field. When a vehicle goes over, that changes and they alarm. Because the Earths field changes, you need to reduce the sensitivity. I could probably detect a Rifle, but then the thing would be falsing all the time.

Also, lightning storms, even at a distance just drives the thing nuts! There is an optional lighting probe that cancels that out.

I guess I'm not we have the mighty mule. When we first tested it we used metal bar and it detects a bicycle. We have no issues with false alarms, like lightning. The kid set it up, so not sure if they turned it down sensitivity or not. detects cars just fine.

/ Anybody own a Guardline Driveway Sensor? #103  
I just ordered one, so hope it will transmit the 1/2 mile rated distance :thumbsup:

If it doesn't it will be easy to move it closer until it works

Well it quit raining, so I set the receiver in a upstairs window, put a short hose on the transmitter and took it to the gate. Held the transmitter above my head, it worked from the gate posts on either side, but there were a lot of dead spots also. Move it two inches and it would work, just like any UHF radio system.

Google maps shows it to be 1800 feet, the first 200 feet is through the trees, so it might not work when the leaves turn green.

Of course it worked fine on the downhill side of the trees, it is line of sight to the window.

View attachment 584721

View attachment 584742
Update:
The Dakota Alert hose model has been installed on the south post for 5 months now and the trees are completely leafed out. It transmits fine though the trees. It has always alerted when someone drove in.

And no false alerts :thumbsup:.

The view toward the gate, from the window where the receiver is:

0519191647-01.jpg

Last edited:
   / Anybody own a Guardline Driveway Sensor? #104  
I guess I'm not we have the mighty mule. When we first tested it we used metal bar and it detects a bicycle. We have no issues with false alarms, like lightning. The kid set it up, so not sure if they turned it down sensitivity or not. detects cars just fine.

I switch from the Guardline to the Might Mule about a year ago. While the Guardline had great transmission distance, it false alarmed a lot since it uses an IR motion detector. The Mighty Mule has been great because it only triggers on vehicles and other large metal things entering the driveway. I also created an interface for the receiver to send a signal to an I/O module connected to my home server. I wrote a Python program that monitors it and sends us an alert on our phones. Also at night it turns on the house front flood lights and front porch lights. Anyone coming up the driveway at night is greeted by a well-lit house. The lights also help the cameras record the approaching vehicle. Peace of mind... it's priceless!

/ Anybody own a Guardline Driveway Sensor? #105  
To me, it's unacceptable to have a system that false alarms at three in the morning due to wildlife. There is ZERO peace of mind in that.

/ Anybody own a Guardline Driveway Sensor? #106  
To me, it's unacceptable to have a system that false alarms at three in the morning due to wildlife. There is ZERO peace of mind in that.

Exactly! Which is why I switched to the Mighty Mule with the magnetic sensor. No false alarms. Whereas, LOTS of false alarms with the Guardline.

/ Anybody own a Guardline Driveway Sensor? #107  
We retired to a rural area to enjoy the wildlife
installed a 3 sensor guardline alarm to cover a little over a 1/4 mile driveway. If the first 2 are triggered we have a vehicle approaching. The 3rd tells us they are close to the house.
And yes we do get big and little critters setting it off which is ok. We got to see 3 big 6 point elk wonder up to the house, deer, coyotes etc that we wouldnt see if the alarm didnt go off. Thats just fine.

Of those of you who were disappointed in false alarms because of animals...... Non have mentioned fine tuning the alarm dip switches to prevent this. Didnt that help?
BTW just ordered sensor #4 today. Its going in the orchard to remind us to check the game camera. Have had elk, deer bear and cougar.

/ Anybody own a Guardline Driveway Sensor? #109  
I switch from the Guardline to the Might Mule about a year ago. While the Guardline had great transmission distance, it false alarmed a lot since it uses an IR motion detector. The Mighty Mule has been great because it only triggers on vehicles and other large metal things entering the driveway. I also created an interface for the receiver to send a signal to an I/O module connected to my home server. I wrote a Python program that monitors it and sends us an alert on our phones. Also at night it turns on the house front flood lights and front porch lights. Anyone coming up the driveway at night is greeted by a well-lit house. The lights also help the cameras record the approaching vehicle. Peace of mind... it's priceless!
How did you get from the mighty mule to your network?
What are you using for input module to your network? I have not been able to find what I consider a cost effective input module. The output side is easy. We are using x-10 signals now and it is problematic. The mighty mule receiver does not have an output for a relay coil like the gaurdline did. We went a crossed the speaker output on the mighty mule and was able to get to trigger an x-10 module. How did you do it? It worked 10 years ago and what we have been using since.
The cost on the network output device has come down and time to look at different system. There are certain power supplies that mess with the x-10 signal. That is really annoying. time to look at changing.
thanks

/ Anybody own a Guardline Driveway Sensor? #110  
I have a Guardline, just a two zone, one for the driveway and one for the porch as a doorbell. They definitely take a bit of fiddling to get the angle right as they are quite sensitive. I was fully aware of the chipmunk on my porch wood pile until I got around to moving the angle it was pointed. I had it on the roof of the porch facing down thinking I was clever and it picked up the chipmunk perfectly. Once I moved it to waist height, it was fixed.