Massey Ferguson DL135 in 1754: Curl and Dump move separately

/ Massey Ferguson DL135 in 1754: Curl and Dump move separately #1  

madtowneast

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1754
Hi,

I just got a used MF1754 with a DL135. So far everything is great, but when trying to switch from a bucket to a bale spear (SSQA plate) I noticed that the curl/dump between the left and right side are not moving at the same pace. One side is always ahead of the other. This makes it impossible to put in the pin for the SSQA for the bale spear, but works with the bucket that came with the tractor. The bucket has slightly bigger opening for the SSQA pin, so you don't notice.

I have included a video to show what is going on.

Thanks for any idea or input in advance!

Attachments

• signal-2022-01-29-170759_001_AdobeCreativeCloudExpress.gif
    signal-2022-01-29-170759_001_AdobeCreativeCloudExpress.gif
    5.8 MB · Views: 94
  • ezgif-6-d1cc5ad3e4.gif
    ezgif-6-d1cc5ad3e4.gif
    7.9 MB · Views: 117
   / Massey Ferguson DL135 in 1754: Curl and Dump move separately #2  
Something to tie the two together would help a lot.

On a side note, your computing skills are outstanding. I have no idea how you made those videos and was able to post directly to the thread. I always have to upload a video to YouTube and post a link. 🤣

/ Massey Ferguson DL135 in 1754: Curl and Dump move separately #4  
Gently drive the QA into the bucket/spear to force the left side to move to the same position as the right side. Then curl back to pick it up. The reason they move at different rates with no load is because one side has a longer hose and probably one or two extra fittings to get from the valve to the other side of the tractor. So there's a little more flow impedance on that side. Also one cylinder may have slightly tighter seals so it requires more pressure to move the same distance as the other cylinder with no load.

/ Massey Ferguson DL135 in 1754: Curl and Dump move separately #5  
There is always going to be some difference between the sides, but the SSQA frame usually takes care of that. Is that a factory setup?

/ Massey Ferguson DL135 in 1754: Curl and Dump move separately
Something to tie the two together would help a lot.

On a side note, your computing skills are outstanding. I have no idea how you made those videos and was able to post directly to the thread. I always have to upload a video to YouTube and post a link. 🤣

I converted the mp4 from the phone to a gif using

Adobe Creative Cloud Express

(had to use "small" output to get it small enough)

or

I used the other functions (crop, etc.) to get it below upload size

There is always going to be some difference between the sides, but the SSQA frame usually takes care of that. Is that a factory setup?

As far as I know yes. When looking at the parts book, I did see that the bar/shaft between the two sides of the SSQA is replaceable, but mine is welded in. I am guessing this might have been a future upgrade to the factory SSQA

Gently drive the QA into the bucket/spear to force the left side to move to the same position as the right side. Then curl back to pick it up. The reason they move at different rates with no load is because one side has a longer hose and probably one or two extra fittings to get from the valve to the other side of the tractor. So there's a little more flow impedance on that side. Also one cylinder may have slightly tighter seals so it requires more pressure to move the same distance as the other cylinder with no load.

Thanks I will give that a try! I did get the bale spear on there today. It seems to be a clearance issue with that bale spear and the SSQA. There are two welds that seem to be interfering if the bale spear is not in the right place.

/ Massey Ferguson DL135 in 1754: Curl and Dump move separately #7  
Quicker and easier to just twist it back straight as others have done.

But this tube looks like it is bent:
bent.png

/ Massey Ferguson DL135 in 1754: Curl and Dump move separately #8  
Boy can I relate to your situation I have a 1742 with a Dl 125 loader had it 4 weeks and the same problem happened so called the dealers and they sent a service man out with a new cross shaft that keeps the two individual lock arms together in timing. After replacing it it lasted about 6 months then is started again, now guess what the dealer said it sout of warranty ( 1 year on the loader) So I tore it apart replaced the 1.125 dia shaft with a 2 inch shaft added some 45 degree welment from the shaft up to the lock arms after all was assembled I loaded the busket on the arms so everthing was timed right then proceded to weld the 45 degree brackets to the lock arms and shaft. Its been 2.5 years now and all is good between forks, buck and grapple bucket. Some times its just a bad design and you have to rengineer it your self is causes less stress in the long run. Tractor is a t home and i am in Flrida for the winter or I would send you a picture of the fix. Good Luck