58 MPG by 2032

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #131  
I wasn’t happy to see the Challenger going to be replaced by an electric. It will be fast so I thought it might be OK. Then I saw a video of some idiot designer talking about the “exhaust” on the new EV performance car. He went into all the details. I just wanted to find the guy, slap him around and make him admit that “exhaust” is just making fake noise. It’s an electric car, at least have the guts to leave the fake engine noise out. I lost all respect for them when I saw the video.
Totally agree... and I feel the same way about all of diesel pickup trucks with their exhaust systems carefully tuned to sound like a semi. Every time I hear one, I think "There goes a guy who doesn't realize that sound is a clear signal to the rest of us that he's insecure about his masculinity."

Last edited:
   / 58 MPG by 2032 #132  
How many vehicles get 58 mpg now? Will electric vehicles somehow get factored into that. Between this new standard and all the standards on all the home appliances things will get expensive.
Well that’s *****’s Logic. Zero emissions because no one can afford to buy anything. A 💯 tax rate may pay interest on debt. Is the government going to force the public to turn in vehicles bought before 2027? All why he rides around in limousines and jet flies everywhere but US Mexican border. We need change towards reducing carbon emissions but reasonable time frame. We don’t have the power grid in place to charge a half billion vehicles and a huge amount of the electrical power is produced by carbon fueled power plants. Our government is becoming a dictatorship with the average citizen having regulations they don’t agree with shoved down their throats

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #133  
Fleet averages..so they will be forced to make more EVs to boost the averages for everything else. A Prius Prime gets about 133MPG all in and 54 with just the gas. If a Prime is the average, we will not have enough electricity production to meet those standards.
The 133 mpg is achieved if you frequently use one of the Telsa Charging Station.

“How does the Prius Prime get 133 mpg?

In order to maintain that 133 MPGe fuel economy rating, you must keep the plug-in hybrid Prius Prime charged. Otherwise, the Prime will maintain roughly the same fuel economy as the Prius hybrid. Plug-in hybrids are similar to EVs in that they must be charged if you want to experience their full capacity.”

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #134  
Keep in mind the physics of speed. The energy in a moving vehicle is based on the square of your speed. That means you double your speed the energy is 4 times greater. I’m not talking about mpg but how this relates to braking and the force of an accident.

Wind resistance is also based roughly on the square of your speed. It seems like it might actually be the cube of your speed is the energy you’re using but you get there quicker so more like the square of your speed. Double your speed, the wind resistance is 4 times greater. Most vehicles get their best fuel mileage at about 45 mph.
Yep, it's the cube with wind resistance, and even in an EV, you don't get that back with braking. That's why EVs get great in-town efficiency but poor highway efficiency.

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #135  
I saw a video presented by Ford (about 2 years ago, I think) of an interview with some Ford engineers. The issue of mpg came up. The engineers all agreed that mileage could improve into that range, but the cost to the customer would drastically increase and would have a negative impact on sales. They indicated that the equipment needed to be installed on the vehicle to do that range of MPG would be very expensive and the customer would not be happy.

I don't know if they were referring to gas alone or included EV. This seems like another anti-tailpipe law to move to EV. I am not sure EV can survive in a market WITHOUT constant government incentives and intervention. Especially if the cost of roads and taxes are no longer paid by the use of gas and become attached to an already overloaded electric grid.
In Ohio, I pay a $200/year surcharge on my annual registration to maintain the roads because I have an EV. The cost of maintaining roads is already being paid in most states using that approach. In my earlier post, I said it costs me $0.02/mile to operate. I should have included the road tax. I drive about 15,000 miles per year, so my total cost including the money that goes to maintain roads is increased to $0.033 per mile by road taxes.

In my case, the "fuel" comes from a solar array, so I do better than most people with a cost of $0.06/kWh. Let's suppose instead that I'm paying the local electric company $0.14 per kWh. That would increase my fuel cost to $0.048/mile.

If you're driving a car that gets 35mpg, and gas costs you $3.64 (with road use tax included), you're paying $0.104/mile.

Since an ICE costs more than twice as much to operate, how do you come to the conclusion that constant government intervention is required? I can't get a good electric truck yet, but I'll never buy another ICE car... I can't afford that luxury.

Last edited:
   / 58 MPG by 2032 #136  
We don’t have the power grid in place to charge a half billion vehicles and a huge amount of the electrical power is produced by carbon fueled power plants.
Actually we do have sufficient capacity in our power grid, because most vehicles charge at night when the grid isn't being used for other purposes. When a shill for the fossil fuel folks tried to make that point at the last annual meeting of our rural electrical co-op, the folks from the engineering department just shrugged. They're not worried about increased off-peak demand. It just makes used of unused capacity.

Currently, 60% of our electricity is produce by fossil fuels. That's not zero, but neither is it a "huge" percentage. That number will come down as more renewables come on-line, and it helps that EVs use that fuel about twice as efficiently as ICE vehicles.

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #137  
How many vehicles get 58 mpg now? Will electric vehicles somehow get factored into that. Between this new standard and all the standards on all the home appliances things will get expensive.
Exactly... My 2000 VW Golf TDI could hit that fairly easily but VW screwed the pooch with the whole TDI scandal. That was only a good excuse for the know nothings to basically ban a very useful technology because they view it as 'dirty'.

I've used my soapbox time for now...

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #138  
in the late 80's I bought a VW Rabbit,Diesel, it got 50 mpg and went from 0 - 60 in 3.5 weeks,without the air on.. with the turbo on that it should have plenty of power
My sister had one of those too. It made a lot of noise and you went through the driving motions but it didn't seem like it was moving. Diesel was way cheaper than gas and it got the job done. The later TDIs were a big improvement and I wish I still had mine.

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #139  
Lower speed limits across the board to 65mph. There is a huge saving to be had everywhere.
They tried that speed limit idea back in the 70s. But my Mercedes Diesel got better mileage at about 10-15 higher than the limit. Cars are minor in fuel use when it comes to comparison to cruise ships, container ships, and jet aircraft.

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #140  
Totally agree... and I feel the same way about all of diesel pickup trucks with their exhaust systems carefully tuned to sound like a semi. Every time I hear one, I think "There goes a guy who doesn't realize that sound is a clear signal to the rest of us that he's insecure about his masculinity."
What does tuned semi exhaust sound like? Been in the diesel community for many years and would like to learn about semi exhaust tuning.