Chain sharpening woes.

/ Chain sharpening woes. #11  
   / Chain sharpening woes. #12  
Had to cut up a large pressure treated deck years ago; used my chain saw. Tried sharpening the chain when it got dull, but the sharpened chain would get dull again pretty quickly. Found it to be much quicker and more efficient to just throw a new chain on. Wasn't that expensive ; was worth the cost to get the job over and done with.
3 passes over ea cutter every tank of fuel. Don't let em lose the edge. And they will will cut like a razor till you start losing cutters.

/ Chain sharpening woes. #13  
Local hardware stores and chainsaw dealers charge $15 to sharpen a chain. I use a cordless dremel to field dress my chains, and then buy new ones online for $15. Oregon sharpens them better than any local shop! Someday I will buy a nice sharpener and resharpen all the chains I have hanging on nails in my shop.

/ Chain sharpening woes. #14  
@BoylermanCT Interesting to know how prices vary across the country for chain sharpening. In my area chain sharpening is going for $6-8 depending on length. Now to deal with the 50% price increase on roll chain for Oregon dealers.

/ Chain sharpening woes. #15  
Those Sthil 2-in-1 filers are excellent. Went through all sorts of gizmos and these are now the only thing I use. They're easy to use out in the field.

/ Chain sharpening woes. #16  
Those Sthil 2-in-1 filers are excellent. Went through all sorts of gizmos and these are now the only thing I use. They're easy to use out in the field.
Definitely agree. I find this tool keeps my chains nice and sharp on a consistent basis. Only issue I have is that you have to buy a different tool for each size chain you have. Its too bad that you cannot interchange files with the frame housing. Still worth it IMO.

/ Chain sharpening woes. #18  
Five minutes each with a dremel tool

/ Chain sharpening woes. #19  
I use a Dremel. Buy my Oregon stones at Lowes. Don't use a guide. Just clamp a C clamp to hold bar in place and do about 3 runs of the chain along the bar.

Have a Stihl file tool to address the other things but seldom use it. Wife wears out the chains too fast. Get about a half dozen sharpenings, and a few of the teeth are too small to sharpen any more. She's worn out 3 battery saws. Stihl replaced her last power head on warranty.

/ Chain sharpening woes. #20  
I prefer the Pferd. Mainly because I needed 3 sizes to fit all my chains and the Pferd was about half the cost. The main difference is the color.