Custom Tractor Canopy

/ Custom Tractor Canopy
I have done a few homemade canopy tops over the years and here's a couple tips I learned that might be helpful. First, the easiest tops I made for the simple act of blocking the sun and with no regard to high style were made out of scrap pieces of metal barn siding.It was easy to cut to size, usually free and damage easily repaired by a new piece of steel.

Second, all canopies vibrate through the tractor and the sound can be really annoying. For insulators, I had the best luck with cutting piece out of the sidewall of an old rubber floor mat. I used a 1 1/4" (approx) hole saw for a clean and easy cut and a Harbor Freight hole saw punch to make the center hole for the mounting bolt. It worked great because I could stack a few if needed.

For the bigger spaces or heavier steel, rear shock absorber bushings from an older car or truck with leaf springs worked great. They were much thicker so fit into places where that was needed. Just an FYI here.
Good idea. Thank you

/ Custom Tractor Canopy #42  
All that work and I have this.......

Attachments

• 100_0013 (1).JPG
    100_0013 (1).JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 177
   / Custom Tractor Canopy #44  
Cannot justify spending the time and materials making one when there are commercially available options that are inexpensive, easily mountable and look good. No matter what you come up with, the commercially available one looks better and works better and I don't have the time to spend trying to improve on a proven design anyway. I have better things to do.

/ Custom Tractor Canopy #45  
The commercially available tops look like pup-tents for a girl's bike. I think I can do better. 😏

/ Custom Tractor Canopy #47  
The lights and radio will be nice to have as well, so not too crazy with the customization

Love the lights....been thinking on adding something similar to that on my backhoe. For sound though.... I'm not feeling it yet. This infers that you'll not be wearing any hearing protection. (in my case...) I have to because all tractors we have and my backhoe can get loud. They all have straight pipes though they have a turbo which does muffle the sound a bit.

I use some in-ear buds (the kind that wrap around your ear like a musician might use) and then OVER those, I have some over-ear protection.

Cuts out most of the tractor noise, though you can still hear it so if something clangs, you can tell, it's just not as blaring. Also then, you can hear what you're listening to much better since the ambient noise is reduced.

I honestly feel almost naked if I don't have both of those stuck on my head when I'm running the machines. About the only time I'll not have them is if I'm simply moving machine from parking area to the house to fuel up or tinker on.....otherwise it's sound (music) IN my ears and protection OVER my ears.

/ Custom Tractor Canopy
Cannot justify spending the time and materials making one when there are commercially available options that are inexpensive, easily mountable and look good. No matter what you come up with, the commercially available one looks better and works better and I don't have the time to spend trying to improve on a proven design anyway. I have better things to do.
Cooool

/ Custom Tractor Canopy
Love the lights....been thinking on adding something similar to that on my backhoe. For sound though.... I'm not feeling it yet. This infers that you'll not be wearing any hearing protection. (in my case...) I have to because all tractors we have and my backhoe can get loud. They all have straight pipes though they have a turbo which does muffle the sound a bit.

I use some in-ear buds (the kind that wrap around your ear like a musician might use) and then OVER those, I have some over-ear protection.

Cuts out most of the tractor noise, though you can still hear it so if something clangs, you can tell, it's just not as blaring. Also then, you can hear what you're listening to much better since the ambient noise is reduced.

I honestly feel almost naked if I don't have both of those stuck on my head when I'm running the machines. About the only time I'll not have them is if I'm simply moving machine from parking area to the house to fuel up or tinker on.....otherwise it's sound (music) IN my ears and protection OVER my ears.
This is more of a fun project that I started during the cold rainy weekends in the south.

The radio is an extra radio and speakers from an order I made for a vehicle a year ago. I usually use Bluetooth headphones for the same reason as you.

Many times I've been at the property it would've been nice to have some music playing while I take a break and eat of cut some logs, wait for some fill etc.