Loading issues on Dump Trailer

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #32  
A word about loaders and “flattening” the load. Some inexperienced loaders will attempt to use the bottom of the loader bucket to press down the load to level it up or spread it. Lots of problems can occur from such practice. Tipping the bucket and raking it across the top of the pile to spread it out is much safer and effective.

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #33  
A word about loaders and “flattening” the load. Some inexperienced loaders will attempt to use the bottom of the loader bucket to press down the load to level it up or spread it. Lots of problems can occur from such practice. Tipping the bucket and raking it across the top of the pile to spread it out is much safer and effective.
I guess I should have explained better but this is how the loader operator knocks the top off, he does not press it flat. my trailer is 14 feet so his bucket does fit inside and he just racks the top to the sides.

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #34  
Yeah exactly, redlands. I've had it done both ways. The bottom-of-the-bucket down pressure method is what hurts to watch.

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #35  
I have that same 6x12 trailer. The problem here is the loader the quarry uses has a 10' wide bucket. Doesn't leave much room for adjusting where the load is dumped.

I know this doesn't help you much but, as another poster suggested, I eventually traded my GMC Sierra 1500 for a 2500HD.

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #36  
I agree with those that say you need to direct the loader operator a little better.

Its funny how you should spend tens of thousands of dollars and upgrade trucks too. I think according to some, a half ton should haul nothing more than groceries or a few bags of mulch and should never tow anything...

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #37  
Nothing wrong with a good half ton pickup. It's just that.... they are so easy to overload, or be tempted to pull way over your maximum legal tow rating with. And we all have to share the road with you (whoever it may be). Sure, your f150 or 1500 can take the abuse ok, and you've been lucky for the last dozen years without necessarily realizing it. But then one day something suddenly breaks on the highway, or some idiot pulls out right in front of you, and it all goes wrong. And legally, you are to blame.

My generous neighbor with the 10k 6x10 dump trailer I borrow used to haul it behind his 2002 Ford Ranger. With a 2" ball in the 2 5/16 trailer coupler. And no brake controller. Until he finally bent the frame. And then bought... a v6 f150. Still way over his capacity, still no brake controller, hopefully using the correct sized ball now (I should check). Thankfully he really only uses it to haul manure from the horse farm up the road.

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #38  
I agree with those that say you need to direct the loader operator a little better.

Its funny how you should spend tens of thousands of dollars and upgrade trucks too. I think according to some, a half ton should haul nothing more than groceries or a few bags of mulch and should never tow anything...

I’d spend a hundred bucks to have 22 tons dumped where I want and be done with it.

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #39  
Nothing wrong with a good half ton pickup. It's just that.... they are so easy to overload, or be tempted to pull way over your maximum legal tow rating with. And we all have to share the road with you (whoever it may be). Sure, your f150 or 1500 can take the abuse ok, and you've been lucky for the last dozen years without necessarily realizing it. But then one day something suddenly breaks on the highway, or some idiot pulls out right in front of you, and it all goes wrong. And legally, you are to blame.

My generous neighbor with the 10k 6x10 dump trailer I borrow used to haul it behind his 2002 Ford Ranger. With a 2" ball in the 2 5/16 trailer coupler. And no brake controller. Until he finally bent the frame. And then bought... a v6 f150. Still way over his capacity, still no brake controller, hopefully using the correct sized ball now (I should check). Thankfully he really only uses it to haul manure from the horse farm up the road.
Too many variables in half tons anymore. And depends on how modern it is.

No one would be giving him a hard time if he was pulling said trailer with a 3/4 ton truck. But everyone is giving him crap for doing it with a "half ton".

Compare the payload and tow ratings of a 1999 3/4 ton vs a modern half ton. Aint much differences. And depending on how trucks are equipped, axle ratios and transmission etc....many times a modern half ton is rated for more than a 20 year old 3/4 ton.

Its the blanket statements that "you sould get a 3/4 ton truck cause it is better" that is the issue.

A modern half ton with 9000 pounds behind it is not excessive or exceeding ratings if properly equipped. And Id much rather do that than the same load behind a 25 year old 3/4 ton

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #40  
No one would be giving him a hard time if he was pulling said trailer with a 3/4 ton truck. But everyone is giving him crap for doing it with a "half ton".

Compare the payload and tow ratings of a 1999 3/4 ton vs a modern half ton. Aint much differences. And depending on how trucks are equipped, axle ratios and transmission etc....many times a modern half ton is rated for more than a 20 year old 3/4 ton.

Its the blanket statements that "you sould get a 3/4 ton truck cause it is better" that is the issue.

A modern half ton with 9000 pounds behind it is not excessive or exceeding ratings if properly equipped. And Id much rather do that than the same load behind a 25 year old 3/4 ton
Well I generally agree with you in full, but to be fair, it sounds like you are making some of the same over-generalizations in the other direction.

Just because some modern half-tons have high numeric trailer tow ratings, still doesn't make it a good idea to max them out on a heavy haul. One thing about old 3/4 ton pickups (like my '03 2500HD) is that the tow rating might be fairly low, but the payload ratings were almost always quite a bit higher still. So you don't have to worry about excessive tongue weight so much, IE, the problem our OP is having. Furthermore the 3/4 ton trucks are heavier themselves, with heavier duty suspension, frame, brakes, hitch, transmission, etc. Add it all up and it makes for a much safer and more stable towing experience.

But on a half ton, you don't know whether some jacko on the road, or random internet person has a tow rating as low as 6 or 7000 lbs, or the max tow with 12-14k ratings nowadays (yikes). Or say a 2014 ram that might have a pathetic payload rating under a 1000 lbs, and really shouldn't have any weight on the hitch at all. So in general, and on average, it is true to say that you would be safe doing hauls like this on any 3/4 ton less than 20 years old, whereas only the top 10-20% of half ton configurations would be appropriately rated. You're right that many of them can do 9000 lbs safely now. But with a trailer like the OPs.... you can accidentally have a 13k lb load, or 2500 lbs on your hitch, which no half ton should do.

My 2003 Sierra 2500HD is only rated to tow 10,500 lbs because I have the lowly 6.0L LQ4 gasser. But! The very same chassis would be rated at over 18000 lbs if I had the duramax, so mine is essentially just de-rated for power and marketing considerations.