Loading issues on Dump Trailer

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #101  
Don't be afraid to tell the loader how you want it loaded, after all it is you that will be prosecuted not them.
At a contractor where i picked up some sand for making a bed for paving stones, they refused to let me drive off with just a load in the back, they knew i was unsafe and didnt want to let me leave. I said its ok, i'm going to pick up a vibratory compactor, which i need after ive wheelbarrowed in this pile of sand, so i want that up front... "ah, ok then... We just dont want you to leave with an unsafe load, we are the professionals so we feel obliged to take some responsibility for inexperienced private citizens who get stuff from here.

Actually i like that mindset a lot better than the mindset at the other contractor, or at the quarry where giving private people trouble seems to be a sport...

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #102  
At the quarry, on slow days, loader operators create some sensation by purposedly overfilling wee little trailers, filling over the sides so the wheels are blocked in.

When asking for a m3 of topsoil and a m3 of compost for my fathers flower beds, the operator gave me 800kg of compost and 3 ton of wet topsoil, smirking while dumping a full bucket of his L90 on it whilst seeing the scale hit 5960kg. I drove home at the speed limit to not draw attention, my S70 TDI had no problem pulling it (the same engine was also in the VW LT van, the VW version of the Merc Sprinter) but i was near double the GCW rating.

Those guys just enjoy that.... Next time i will show up with the tractor and 7 ton dump trailer.

Anyways, to the OP: just pull the top of the heap flat with a shovel before driving off, to wherever you need the weight. You're overthinking this.
Should have refused to pay for that much overload and made them pull some out.

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #103  
All of you guys being such a pain are going to get yourself as in all dump trailers banned from the quarry. The local quarry already increased the minimum charge to 5 tons because they’re so aggravating to deal with.

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #104  
I have a 8x14 14k that I pull with a f150. I've only once had to much tail weight. But it was a goofy load of wet dirt. It's really hard to load it with to much tail weight. However your wd hitch isn't tight enough if it can't LEVEL out your truck with 1400 lbs. I've had over 20k in my trailer by complete accident and the wd did its job leveling my truck. I'm pretty sure my bars are only 1k or 1200lb also.

When I used my dad's 6x10 suretrac you wouldn't be able to lift the bed long before you truly overloaded your truck
Correct on that WD hitch. I adjusted mine a bit tighter and made a world of difference. Still over loaded the half-ton pulling truck but handled much better.

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #105  
Wow. I think about 7 people in the last three pages have all said the truck is too small. Even though the OP has said about 7 times that it IS WITHIN THE WEIGHT RATINGS.

Sating a modern half ton is just a grocery getting is laughable. People need to grow up.

But seriously....For a 10k dump trailer to be safe....it takes no less than a F-550 sized truck. No way would I ever want to haul a 3 ton load in a 10k trailer behind a F450 or F350. Just too small of a truck to handle it safely :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #106  
Wow. I think about 7 people in the last three pages have all said the truck is too small. Even though the OP has said about 7 times that it IS WITHIN THE WEIGHT RATINGS.

Sating a modern half ton is just a grocery getting is laughable. People need to grow up.

But seriously....For a 10k dump trailer to be safe....it takes no less than a F-550 sized truck. No way would I ever want to haul a 3 ton load in a 10k trailer behind a F450 or F350. Just too small of a truck to handle it safely :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Well, actually, his half ton pickup is too lightweight for the loads he is hauling, simply because the load is not being loaded what he considers correct. Once he goes over the recommended manufacturer's weight with the tongue weight, he is overweight. What can be done about it is what he was asking from the start, and replacing it with a heavier truck was not one of the options. Since he also doesn't want to elevate the dump partially and shovel some to the rear, and the gravel pit doesn't allow him to exit the vehicle, to instruct the loader (not that they listen anyway!!) he appears he is at the mercy of the loader unless he is willing to reduce the overall weight proportionally to reduce the tongue overloading.
Moving the entire load backwards was a suggestion, and while viable under the way he is currently being loaded, what happens if the operator figures out why the drums are there, and decides to help with the issue? A severely overloaded rear end comes into play and a half ton pickup is not going to like hauling that load down the road very fast!
If you can't control the loaders, the next best thing would be to control just how much tongue weight you can handle, which is why I suggested the coil over helper springs.
David from jax

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #107  

But seriously....For a 10k dump trailer to be safe....it takes no less than a F-550 sized truck. No way would I ever want to haul a 3 ton load in a 10k trailer behind a F450 or F350. Just too small of a truck to handle it safely
Na, the 550's are just glorified p'ups, really need to go to a F6/750 minimum to be pulling that 10k tag trailer, then you can put all the tongue weight that you want on it.....

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #108  
Na, the 550's are just glorified p'ups, really need to go to a F6/750 minimum to be pulling that 10k tag trailer, then you can put all the tongue weight that you want on it.....
When I was hauling 550 bushels of wheat to Norfolk with a '69 F-750,, was I overloaded?? I had the 370-2V engine, and a split rear end,,

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #109  
When I was hauling 550 bushels of wheat to Norfolk with a '69 F-750,, was I overloaded?? I had the 370-2V engine, and a split rear end,,
How did you not die? :eek: :eek:

/ Loading issues on Dump Trailer #110  
Most likely, the GVWR varied some on the F700 (the Fx50 designation didn't come out until 2000 for the medium duty trucks), typically the F700 was below 30k gvwr and 550 bushels would weigh about 33k lbs. plus a truck weight of approx 10k+ lbs depending on body weight.

I do feel sorry for you though, use to own an early 80' F700 dump flatbed with the 370-4V 5spd with 2spd rear and it was definitely lacking in the power department! Kept you pretty busy with the shifter to keep your speed up.