Mahindra 5155 Anyone?

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #342  
Hey all.

New to the Mahindra line as I just got a 5155 last week. Looking to upgrade my rotary cutter next to keep 25 acres of pasture under control. I know the old rule of thumb is 5HP per 1 foot at the PTO would mean about a 9' cutter on the 5155. Just wondering what size rotary cutter you all are using with your 5155. Also 3pt or pull behind?

Thanks.
I pull a Rhino 172 (6') behind a 5145.

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #343  
On another note, I've been using mine to gather and process some firewood lately. 29 hours on the tractor so far, and I'm really loving it compared to my old 4540. It's hard to say this without sounding biased since I own a 5155. But, I've operated many different tractors in my life including compact Kubota's and Cub Cadets, CUT JD's and Mahindra's, and AG sized Kubota's and New Hollands. The 5155 is my favorite tractor that I have operated to date.

Anyways, couple pictures of the 5155 hauling firewood.

View attachment 749071View attachment 749072

Also, I mounted a Sawhaul chainsaw carrier on my 5155 today. Seems to work really well, I like it a lot. The Sawhaul "tractor kit" comes with a large u-bolt that clamps the carrier to the loader frame. I opted to drill two holes and bolted the carrier to the loader frame.

View attachment 749070
Well I can't figure it out so I am going to ask. What does "CUT" stand for or mean?

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #345  
I’m familiar with Youngstown and some of the little towns around it like Poland and Campbell. I once owned an old Campbell fire department truck, so I’ve been in your neck of the woods before. And yes I also had to clean off the paint from my PTO shaft as well. But overall I’m very pleased. I think once you get to really use the tractor and get familiar with it, you’ll really appreciate the size and heft. Speaking of heft, it’s heavier than what Mahindra says it is. I had mine weighed at the gravel pit scales and the tractor, loader, and loaded R4 rears comes in at 8,940lbs. Did you have specific issues with your New Holland and regeneration? Just curious.
Yes , the new Holland was a good little tractor it did not have tons and tons of weight behind it and it also relied heavily on the turbo for it's real power range . It was a vary strong unit for it's size. Imagine a 4wheel 8N, but modern and you have the general idea.
In the last two years it would regenerate a lot more often and a lot longer and in the last few months it started throwing a code from time to time and the computer would lock out the fuel pedal. The only way you could get it to clear was to let it sit " dealer told me from day one just throttle it up a bit and keep running it when it goes into regeneration" so I did . Over time that was not good enough it had to sit with the throttle pined for 35- 45 min. And at the end it was coming to the point it did not want to regenerate and the light would stay on.
One of the worst parts was it always wanted to go into regen when the work was just getting done ! With fuel at $5+ a gallon it never once made me happy to have to let it set and run at a high idle just to clear .
I won't say it is a new Holland problem . Every one is running these hand hand grenades!
In the end it truly is the only reason I considered Mahindra , because nobody has got a good technology to meet epa standard at the moment . At the same time it forced me to look at a brand I always considered "outside the box " I will also say if not for the 5145 ( updated platform ) I still probably would have walked away and just delt with what came on my old unit .

I am loving this 5145 " still not a fan at all of the long stroke of the shuttle shift “ they need to put a bigger cam plate on that shifter and cut the throw into at least half the distance. At the same time ,WOW this is a whole lot of tractor for the money! And truly out side of a few ergonomics it is as good or at least on pare with the big brands and I have been on them all at one point or another. Vary impressed after some operation today

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #346  
Lol. I started my 5155 this past winter after it sat outside overnight at -15. It started fine but made lots of unhappy noises for a while and the loader wouldn’t move for several minutes. That’s why I’m this neck of the woods, I end up just changing everything out to synthetic. The tractor is much happier come winter.
What brand of oil do you use?

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #347  
hope you love the tractor as much as i do, I agree with some of your statements the economy PTO selection lever is in a hard to reach location but how often will you need to access it. the 3pt hydraulic rate adjustment knob is funky but again how often will you be adjusting it. the travel on the shuttle lever, to be honest I do not find that to be on my radar but to each his own. I can defiantly agree with you on the fuel filter location, it is defiantly out in the wind and a magnet for the odd limb to snap back and hit it (don't ask me how i know) the good news is that the parts that are likely to be damaged are cheap (again don't ask why i know this).

the good news is that you have already observed the best reason to own one of these, it is a modern update of the old fashioned tuff as nails do anything farm tractor. the 4550 4wd with the gear shift relocated away from between your knees and a shuttle shift. all of the most used controls are at your fingertips and not in the way at the same time, i even like where they put the key, i have not banged my knee on it yet. there is not any of the electric over hydraulic crap like on every thing else.

I think i'm the first to actually break one but i think it was just a fluke, time will tell.
You make a lot of vary valid points . And honestly I have never been on a tractor yet that there wasn't something I would move or rearrange. Hate to say it but tractor companies have a vary " one size fits all mentality" and more often than not ergonomics comes in third place to production cost and functionality. I am vary impressed with this unit and it's quality especially in this price range. Though I am far from a fan of the shuttle throw . And once out of warranty I will modify it to shorten the throw . If this and a bad design on three link drop speed knob is all I have to sacrifice ?? Take my money..

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #348  
I’m familiar with Youngstown and some of the little towns around it like Poland and Campbell. I once owned an old Campbell fire department truck, so I’ve been in your neck of the woods before. And yes I also had to clean off the paint from my PTO shaft as well. But overall I’m very pleased. I think once you get to really use the tractor and get familiar with it, you’ll really appreciate the size and heft. Speaking of heft, it’s heavier than what Mahindra says it is. I had mine weighed at the gravel pit scales and the tractor, loader, and loaded R4 rears comes in at 8,940lbs. Did you have specific issues with your New Holland and regeneration? Just curious.
Oh by the way ! You mentioned tire ballast . Good god has that gone up in price since my last go round ! I am going to have to load them with washer fluid or RV antifreeze myself and it is still going to cost me double what I paid to have rim guard put in my last tractor ! Looking forward to planting it firmly on the ground though.

Please if anyone has a lower cost way to add ballast I am available for learning!

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone?
Oh by the way ! You mentioned tire ballast . Good god has that gone up in price since my last go round ! I am going to have to load them with washer fluid or RV antifreeze myself and it is still going to cost me double what I paid to have rim guard put in my last tractor ! Looking forward to planting it firmly on the ground though.

Please if anyone has a lower cost way to add ballast I am available for learning!
I negotiated having the tires filled by the dealership prior to delivery. I’ve gone that route on two tractors and I would highly recommend it. That way it’s all done when you get it and believe me I wouldn’t want to really get after anything with the loader without the rears filled. In both cases the cost of having the dealer fill them was very reasonable.