Modifying Your Grapple

/ Modifying Your Grapple #11  
I used a tree service recently that has a kubota track loader with a dual lid grapple. Their operator would clamp brush with one side and then use the other side to compact it back and forth between sides so he could carry more in one trip.

My grapple has a single lid with the bottom row of tines. I can't work the brush back and forth between lids since I have only one. What I do instead is pickup a load and compact it a bit, but then drop it and add to the load.

When tree trunks are involved, there's not much way of compacting them.

One advantage of having a bottom row of tines is when it becomes necessary to hand load limbs when working in the yard and needing to get them all up. I can lay them on the bottom tines pretty easily.

/ Modifying Your Grapple
I used a tree service recently that has a kubota track loader with a dual lid grapple. Their operator would clamp brush with one side and then use the other side to compact it back and forth between sides so he could carry more in one trip.

My grapple has a single lid with the bottom row of tines. I can't work the brush back and forth between lids since I have only one. What I do instead is pickup a load and compact it a bit, but then drop it and add to the load.

When tree trunks are involved, there's not much way of compacting them.

One advantage of having a bottom row of tines is when it becomes necessary to hand load limbs when working in the yard and needing to get them all up. I can lay them on the bottom tines pretty easily.
Agreed. I like the lower tines version and that is why I purchased it. The videos showd the advantage of the two lids, but these longer bottom and extra lid means more weight. The operating practices you describe should come with time for talented operators.
I've already loaded limbs and steel as you described, I am a fan of the lower ledge, but I also see it's limitations that include the what it's of tomorrow and was thinking it might be nice to have a mod, kind of like the spork concept. I don't like sporks, but could see the value in using it some times.

/ Modifying Your Grapple #13  
I typicaly come down on a pile of brush from the top. This give me something to push into to fill the grapple.

When the pile is to wide I go in low with the grapple open and roll the pile onto its self with the grapple open and over the now rolled pile...then push down and close the grapple.

/ Modifying Your Grapple #14  
Like nyone - I come straight down on everything - big rocks, sections of tree trunk, brush. The main reason - I get a better view of the grapple and what its doing.

I use the grapple to rake up loose stuff. Clamp it up tight - come straight down - slowly backwards. It's not as nice/neat as pine needle rake but only the chipmunks and deer seem to mind. Quail love it. Brings up new and tasty bugs, beetles, etc.

/ Modifying Your Grapple
Like nyone - I come straight down on everything - big rocks, sections of tree trunk, brush. The main reason - I get a better view of the grapple and what its doing.

I use the grapple to rake up loose stuff. Clamp it up tight - come straight down - slowly backwards. It's not as nice/neat as pine needle rake but only the chipmunks and deer seem to mind. Quail love it. Brings up new and tasty bugs, beetles, etc.
Yeah, that's what I'm learning, but I put the loader in float and it seems to be less stress on my equipment.

/ Modifying Your Grapple

Yeah, I have been rolling into the pile, that seems to work. But I'm still learning. Thanks.

/ Modifying Your Grapple #17  
a few years back I bought my Titan single lid in the middle grapple. It is 72" wide and i believe a good fit for my L3700SU. It has the bottom tines spaced about 3" apart so dirt and loose material can sift out if needed. My loader isn't super strong. I believe the max lift is 12/1300 pounds +/- ..So I appreciate the strong but light weight build of the Titan unit. As others have said here already, Its a learning curve to figure out how best to use your specific unit. With mine, I tend to lift the lid, Angle the bucket to the teeth are facing straight down , Then drive into the pile and close the lid as i move forward . If there are numerous piles, I'll just drop one pile on top of the other and repeat. I think I spent 1300.00 on mine, all in with fittings. .. IMO..The lightest, biggest and strongest you can find for your particular tractor is the way to go.

/ Modifying Your Grapple #18  
I purchased a North 40 grapple for my 4025 Mahindra. Works great. I already had a forward hydraulic circuit installed for my dozer blade so installation was a snap. North 40 grapple.jpg

/ Modifying Your Grapple
I purchased a North 40 grapple for my 4025 Mahindra. Works great. I already had a forward hydraulic circuit installed for my dozer blade so installation was a snap. View attachment 819768
I had no forward hydraulics so I installed another 2 circuit spool in series. I had a three spool but could not find the power beyond sleeve for it.

Last edited:
   / Modifying Your Grapple #20  
Hey - I've had my grapple eight years now and I'm still not super smooth with operating it. I always get the job done but it will - sometimes - take some "messing around".

It's good that I find using the grapple fun. I'm truly amazed at the power the grapple/FEL combo has.

A suggestion for those with an open station tractor - a tree lined driveway - live in the snow belt. I got really tired of my canopy hitting the snow filled limbs and dropping snow on me. Grab a long 2x4 with the grapple. Have X number of feet sticking out one side. Raise the grapple - one trip down the driveway - both ways. Knock the snow out of the branches and let it drop on the back of the grapple and hood of the tractor. Your good - until the next snow storm.