Must remove the hitch?

schmism

Tractor
New holland TC(33)
I thought we had discussed this recently. I looked for a thread but didn't find one quickly so... new thread.

Had a guy at work this past week knock his shin on a hitch in the parking lot and report an injury because of it. This prompted the company to release a company wide email pointing out IL state regulation stating you must remove the hitch (or cover it in a red cover) and please comply with said provisions for safety.

So I looked it up.

Illinois General Assembly - Full Text of HB3669

:confused2:

bcp

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2360
That is a bill that didn't pass, not a law. Click on "Bill Status" near the top of the page.

Bruce

Gary Fowler

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010
If people are too stupid to look where they are walking, then putting a red cover on it isn't going to protect them either. I am so tired of big government writing stupid laws to protect stupid people from doing stupid things. One time of cracking the shin on a trailer hitch should be enough for a lifetime of "don't walk too close to a truck bumper" experience.

Diamondpilot

Super Star Member
Tractor
Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work
I agree with the company. Remove the hitch when not in use. Seems pretty obvious to me the way way they are designed with a hitch pin is for that very purpose.

Chris

JJZ 109

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2380/LA344 loader/60" MMM, Bobcat S185 skid steer, JD X394 4 wheel steer mower
Most times I do, sometimes I don't. But I don't need Uncle Sugar to tell me whether to remove it or not.

wawajake

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2660 , Kubota RTV X1100C
This topic again ! Charlton Heston said it best:

So, as we set out this year to defeat the divisive forces that would take (hitch) freedom away, I want to say those fighting words for everyone within the sound of my voice to hear and to heed, and especially for you, Mr. Gore: (insert any politician) 'From my cold, dead hands! ”End of somewhat revised quote

:rolleyes:

chevy

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti CK3510SE HST, John Deere X739
I never liked leaving the ball mounts on a truck when not pulling a trailer, but do not believe the government should be telling people they cannot do it.

I have 4 trailers. All require a different ball height to keep the trailer close to level.
I have a ball mount set up for each trailer. The ball mounts always stay with the trailers.

Pixguy

Tractor
2011 MF 2410 TLB
Get out the popcorn. :popcorntub:

Just watch where you're walking folks or suffer the sore shins.