New log splitter

/ New log splitter #42  
Sort of like stereo equipment in the 70s...some WT Grant stereo with built-in 8 track that's "1000 watts" when it really might be 5% of that at best.
That was a bit different as Watts could be quoted in Music Power, Peak to Peak and RMS, RMS was the real indicator but some manufacturers had been known to play with the figures, another example from many years ago, Daihatsu Charade, nasty little 3 cylinder car that was awarded 'Best in its class', it was the only one in its class, nonetheless Daihatsu milked this to the max.

/ New log splitter #43  
If I were to start splitting/burning firewood again. I'd be looking at the Timber Wolf splitters. I'm prejudice - I've seen one at work and it's what I would need. Especially the log lift and the split catch table. My trees are enormous, ancient Ponderosa pines. 30" to 38" on the butt. It's hard enough just rolling a round over to the splitter. Then man-handle it up onto the splitter beam.

/ New log splitter #44  
If I were to start splitting/burning firewood again. I'd be looking at the Timber Wolf splitters. I'm prejudice - I've seen one at work and it's what I would need. Especially the log lift and the split catch table. My trees are enormous, ancient Ponderosa pines. 30" to 38" on the butt. It's hard enough just rolling a round over to the splitter. Then man-handle it up onto the splitter beam.
The County Line one the OP is talking about will pivot to a vertical splitter for those so you don't have to lift them.

1617196851512.png

Last edited:
   / New log splitter #45  
When and why did small engines start having that priming bulb? It never used to be there and for a healthy engine, they always started.
The Craftsman 20" push mower a neighbor gave me 17 years ago has one, I don't how long he had it, probably at least 5 years.

/ New log splitter #46  
Not sure I'd want a 4-way wedge. Yeah it might be a little quicker on some pieces, but not every piece needs to be quartered, and some larger ones need more. Seems like it might be more trouble than it's worth unless everything is within a certain diameter range.
My 4-way is hydraulic. Lift for 4, lower for 2. I love it Speeds up splitting a load immeasurably.

/ New log splitter
Not sure I'd want a 4-way wedge. Yeah it might be a little quicker on some pieces, but not every piece needs to be quartered, and some larger ones need more. Seems like it might be more trouble than it's worth unless everything is within a certain diameter range.

The beauty of their design is the 4 way wedge drops right onto single wedge, gravity only, no fasteners. Has a handle on top and pops right off. Literally a 10 second affair, on or off. It's not a great 4 way (could use wider wings), but it works well for some of the wood (size/dryness/species), and it's so easy to use, I regard it as a very nice-to-have. Not essential, but also not expensive.

/ New log splitter #48  
My 4 way has the same design. Drops on, lifts off. 1-2 second change over. Gives great flexibility in splitting wood. I paid $125 if I recall, as it has to be custom made since it splits in both directions and is unique to my splitter model.

/ New log splitter #49  
I bought a 22 ton powerhorse from Northern Tool Tuesday. Assembled it and added fluids. It rained all day Wednesday (yesterday). Today I set it next to the wood pile and drying rack. Took a couple hours. I ran it at about half speed. A little slow but this is the first time I have used one. I am very happy with it. Now I know why everyone uses one.

Attachments

• KIMG0482.jpg
    KIMG0482.jpg
    864.1 KB · Views: 74
   / New log splitter #50  
Sorry working on a very slow connection right now.

Attachments

• KIMG0495.jpg
    KIMG0495.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 60