Nuclear fallout information

/ Nuclear fallout information #121  
I don't believe they want to eliminate it, but reduce it. In places where "they've" checked, show most have a large amount of nitrogen just sitting above the aquifer. From over application of fertilizer. Not really surprising as most farmers i knew, got their application rates from the people that sold them the fertilizer, then add to our, "just a bit more's got to be good" and voilà.

Most farmer's use soil tests and their knowledge of fertilizer application rates, based on the soil condition, not what a salesperson tells them. Farmer's don't want to use any more fertilizer than they absolutely need to, they run a business and the higher their input costs, the lower their profits, just like every other good business.

The people you are talking about "Just a bit more people" are the homeowners who want the greener yard than the neighbor. Farmers take a bad rap for over application of fertilizer when it is really your "how do you get your yard so green" people that are to blame IMO.

If farmers were not using nitrogen, there would already be a famine. As Hay Dude mentioned, the famine will likely be brought on by nitrogen shortages and high input costs of other input costs that drive farmers out of the business.

You can only run any operation at a loss for so long and stay in business. Right now most grain farmers are still making a profit due to the grain prices staying up there. If that changes dramatically, that will not be good for farmers. Keep in mind, when things are not good for the farmer, they are not good for us. Unless you are one of those people who don't need to eat, then it doesn't matter.

/ Nuclear fallout information #122  
There would be no worries of famine if we used the agricultural land to grow human food instead of animal feed.

/ Nuclear fallout information #124  
Animals = food. Now growing corn to make ethanol you can't drink is a waste.
In love eating meat but you can feed more people with the plants grown than you can with the meat produced from the plants being fed to animals. Then there are the soybeans that go to plastic production , cotton for fabrics and corn for ethanol like you mentioned.

/ Nuclear fallout information #127  
I usually order a vegetarian omelet with feta cheese and added sausage. ;)

Why? Because the veggy omelet usually has bigger, better chunks of veggies.

/ Nuclear fallout information #128  
Darn it guys, not planning to slaughter this years steer until next month but now I want a fresh filet cooked over an open hickory fire on my cowboy grill...

/ Nuclear fallout information #129  
I'd rather eat a steak than anything green any day all day. ;)
I didn't say my plan would make people happy, just keep em from starving😅

/ Nuclear fallout information #130  
I don't believe they want to eliminate it, but reduce it. In places where "they've" checked, show most have a large amount of nitrogen just sitting above the aquifer. From over application of fertilizer. Not really surprising as most farmers i knew, got their application rates from the people that sold them the fertilizer, then add to our, "just a bit more's got to be good" and voilà.

Tell the people of Sri Lanka how that turned out.

I don’t use Chemical fertilizers. I use spent mushroom compost. Maybe some poultry litter.
Gotta be free or damn cheap. I’m not spending $700/ton on chemicals and its bad news for the enviroment anyway.

Last edited: